S.S. Joie de Vivre - Leaving Today

caviargal

We fly to Paris this evening and then train to Lyon for a few days in Provence. Our friends will be joining us mid week in Paris and we have a day trip planned to Reims, which we very much enjoyed a few years ago.

On the 13th we board the S.S. Joie de Vivre to Normandy. I have always wanted to visit this part of France as my father fought there in WWII. The weather looks very good and we are hoping for sunshine and mild temps.

Uniworld finally posted pictures of their new ship and I was very pleased to see it seems to be less over the top and more contemporary that their other ships.

I will post some thoughts along the way.

Have a great trip! We loved this itinerary with Uniworld two years ago (though it appears to have changed, slightly). The trip to the landing beaches and American Cemetery is something we will never forget. Looking forward to your trip report (and my husband wants any feedback on golfing in Etretat:-) )

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have a great cruise. We're headed to Nice on April 20 for an Avalon cruise up the Rhone! Let us know what not to miss!

So many great spots on the Rhone and it remains our all time favorite! We did the Rhone with AMA and then with Uniworld and there were some excellent excursions! Not sure what Avalon offers but can recommend:

- Quarries of Lights (Les Carrières de Lumières)

- Pont du Gard

- A hike to the top of Chapotier vineyard (must be fit for this one)

- Les Halles food market

- Valrhona Chocolates

- Night Illumination Tour

- Visit to Beaune in Burgundy

We really enjoyed the overnights on this itinerary and towns and cities were a delight!

On the 13th we board the S.S. Joie de Vivre to Normandy.

We actually board on the 16th. Not enough coffee when I posted this.:halo:

We have a week in France and then the cruise and seldom are we able to stay away this long.

Caviargirl - bon voyage! When we were on the Seine cruise with Uniworld last May, all 3 Normandy Beaches tour groups met up at the American cemetery for a 2:30 special service arranged (and, I presume, paid for) by Uniworld. Veterans on our cruise laid a wreath, the Star Spangled Banner was played over the public address system (and loud enough to be heard throughout the cemetery - every visitor, regardless of nationality, stopped and faced the American flag), then a jet (we think it was French but we were so surprised no one was quite sure) did a fly over, followed by Taps over the public address system. I can truthfully say there wasn't a dry eye among all the Uniworld cruisers (and many others I would guess). It was one of the most touching experiences I've ever had. Make sure you check out the museum too (we hadn't had time the first visit) - it is marvelous.

Caviargirl - bon voyage! When we were on the Seine cruise with Uniworld last May, all 3 Normandy Beaches tour groups met up at the American cemetery for a 2:30 special service arranged (and, I presume, paid for) by Uniworld. Veterans on our cruise laid a wreath, the Star Spangled Banner was played over the public address system (and loud enough to be heard throughout the cemetery - every visitor, regardless of nationality, stopped and faced the American flag), then a jet (we think it was French but we were so surprised no one was quite sure) did a fly over, followed by Taps over the public address system. I can truthfully say there wasn't a dry eye among all the Uniworld cruisers (and many others I would guess). It was one of the most touching experiences I've ever had. Make sure you check out the museum too (we hadn't had time the first visit) - it is marvelous.

Thank you and we will!

I'm guessing the Joie de Vivre is a shorter ship than the "superships" ie Maria Theresa, Catherine, etc., so that it can dock in Paris proper, avoiding the exile to Le Pecq that Viking is relegated to as a result of their use of the longships. That would explain the lack of "French bordello" décor common in the superships.

I'm guessing the Joie de Vivre is a shorter ship than the "superships" ie Maria Theresa, Catherine, etc., so that it can dock in Paris proper, avoiding the exile to Le Pecq that Viking is relegated to as a result of their use of the longships. That would explain the lack of "French bordello" décor common in the superships.

It is a shorter boat, designed to dock in the heart of Paris. Not sure what size has to do with the more subdued decor but less is more IMO. :)

Caviargal--

RE: décor, just saying that the over-the-top décor seems to be a feature of Uniworld's newer "superships", ie, the Catherine, Maria Theresa, etc. The Joie de Vivre is a different class of ship, presumably decorated differently. Did not mean to imply that a smaller ship couldn't be decorated extravagantly.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still working on my review of our cruise. It was mostly a great experience, with the staff and crew being a highlight. There were some glitches as well, and the greatest disappointment was the food, which was good but had significant room for improvement.

Will post when I complete my review.