Pulpit Rock

pjtkl

Hello:)

Reading past posts it seems as if 8 hrs in port might be a bit short to do Pulpit Rock on our own - is this correct?

I am a very nervous hiker as I have an irrational fear of falling, but I would dearly love to conquer this challenge!

We are docked from 8am to 4pm early in June. What is the general consensus - will we make it???

TL;DR - It's definitely possible, but whether it's realistic depends on the day of the week, the weather, and your confidence as a hiker.

Here is the 2017 schedule for the ferry and bus: http://dagstur.tide.no/upload/pdf/2017/WEBRuter_Preikestolen_2017.pdf

(And here is some general information: http://fjords.tide.no/hikingtour-preikestolen )

One of the biggest influencing factors is what day of the week you're visiting. Mon-Fri, you could catch the 8:40 ferry departure, arriving at 9:45. If you stayed within the suggested 4 hours for the hike, you could catch the 13:45 return bus, getting back to Stavanger at 15:10, which should give you enough time to get back to the ship.

If it's a Saturday, you would probably need to rush off the ship to catch the 8:15. You'd have 9:20-13:30 for the hike and then return at 14:55. If you missed the 8:15 and took the 9:00 departure, you'd either need to shave 30 minutes off the hiking time or catch the 14:30 return bus, arriving back in Stavanger at 15:40 (that's cutting it a bit close for my tastes!).

If it's a Sunday (or 5 June), your only option is the 9:00 ferry. You'd have a little over 3½ hours for the hike in order to catch the 12:45 bus, getting back at 14:00.

If you're a frequent hiker, it's not a difficult trek, since they've reinforced much of the trail route in recent years. It's lots of uphill on the way out, and some areas are a bit steep, which can be difficult on the return trip, but I only needed to use my hands once (to help myself get up a few meters onto a smooth rock outcrop). Many parts of the path are rocky and uneven, but it doesn't have any of the boulder-to-boulder rockfall stretches you find in some of the more difficult mountain trails in Norway. There are some extreme heights with narrow unprotected cliff edges in the final stretch before Preikestolen, but most of the rest is not a huge issue for vertigo.

A few more things to keep in mind:

- Stavanger is not known for its great weather. If it's raining, the hike will be more difficult, since a lot of the path is covered with smooth rocks that could become slippery in the rain. If there are low clouds, you won't be able to see much of the view.

- If it's a weekend or holiday (especially with nice weather), it can get extremely crowded. If you're trying to rush, this can be a problem, because you may end up in a queue in narrow sections with limited options to get around other hikers.

Edited by kaisatsu

• 2 weeks later...
TL;DR - It's definitely possible, but whether it's realistic depends on the day of the week, the weather, and your confidence as a hiker.

Thanks for your reply

I'm going in May and your answer gave me confidence. Our ship docks for ten hours I think this will allow sufficient time as you described

Here is the 2017 schedule for the ferry and bus: http://dagstur.tide.no/upload/pdf/2017/WEBRuter_Preikestolen_2017.pdf

(And here is some general information: http://fjords.tide.no/hikingtour-preikestolen )

Upon reviewing the timetables, I found that some *trips are only operating June to Aug:( I will be there in May

Our cruise will dock 8AM-6PM.

Will it still be possible to due this hike!? If not, is there any alternatives to the expensive cruise excursions?

Upon reviewing the timetables, I found that some *trips are only operating June to Aug:( I will be there in May

Our cruise will dock 8AM-6PM.

Will it still be possible to due this hike!? If not, is there any alternatives to the expensive cruise excursions?

Which day?

On Mon-Fri, you could take the 9:20-10:25 outbound trip and the 16:00-17:10 return. That would give you extra time for the hike (5½ hours), and 50 minutes to get back to the ship.

If it's a Saturday (or 25 May), the 8:15 is likely too tight, but you could do 9:45-10:50 outbound, 5 hours for the hike, and the 15:45-17:10 return.

And if it's a Sunday (or the 1 or 17 May holiday), then the 9:00-10:05 outbound, and then have 4½ hours before the 14:35-16:40 return trip or 6 hours before the 16:00-17:20.

Which day?

Thanks for the feedback.

It's a 15th, Monday. So it look like this will give us time to do it comfortably. Do you think should I book in advance?

I feel I don't want to commit if the weather turns to be horrible that day. At the same time, if seats are limited I don't want to miss out

Thanks for the feedback.

It's a 15th, Monday. So it look like this will give us time to do it comfortably. Do you think should I book in advance?

I feel I don't want to commit if the weather turns to be horrible that day. At the same time, if seats are limited I don't want to miss out

I don't think so. I was there on May 14th a few years ago, and it happened to be a holiday with great weather. The trail was packed, but most people were just buying ferry/bus tickets there.

I also wouldn't book in advance because of weather. If the weather is bad, the hike isn't worth it, because you won't see anything from the top. Honestly, this is a very likely possibility. I spent quite a few weekends in Stavanger when the hike would have been a no-go. Definitely have a plan B ready!

It would be great if you could come back here afterwards and let us know how you got on. I have the same question but for a later cruise. I'd love to know if you thought the hike was worth it

I don't think so. I was there on May 14th a few years ago, and it happened to be a holiday with great weather. The trail was packed, but most people were just buying ferry/bus tickets there.

I also wouldn't book in advance because of weather. If the weather is bad, the hike isn't worth it, because you won't see anything from the top. Honestly, this is a very likely possibility. I spent quite a few weekends in Stavanger when the hike would have been a no-go. Definitely have a plan B ready!

What would be a good alternative, plan B in Stavanger?

Sure Fioa, I promise to write you back upon my return

I'm running into the same problem. We are in Stavanger on the Celebrity Eclipse from 8-5 on Friday, September 1. If the extra ferries are not running (June 1-August 31), then our only option is the 9:20a.m. ferry that arrives at 10:25 and the return at 1:45 p.m. That is less than 4 hours to hike up and down. The ship is offering an excursion though, so there has to be a way to do it...I just can't figure it out.

What would be a good alternative, plan B in Stavanger?

If the weather isn't great, I'd personally just spend the day in town. Stavanger is known for its old white wooden houses, and it's a nice little area to wander around for a little while. On the opposite side ignore the harbor, the "downtown" has lots of little shops and cobblestone streets. There's the watchtower for a nice view, and the stone cathedral to stop inside. I also find the petroleum museum to be rather interesting, especially given the challenges of the North Sea (and having seen many of the rigs in the distance on sea days).

How much is the ferry and do they accept Euros or do I need NOK ?

Here is the fare sheet for the ferry company:

https://www.norled.no/globalassets/2017_ferjetakster/riksregulativer-for-ferjetakster-rogaland-2017.pdf

The adult passenger fare is 56 NOK. It's unlikely that they would accept Euros, but they do accept bank cards.

Hi, thanks for the info, kaisatsu! Due to the unpredictable weather, I will plan on purchasing the bus and ferry fares on the day of my trip. Would I need to purchase the bus and ferry separately or is it a combo ticket? And is the ticket office by the ferry terminal?

Hi, thanks for the info, kaisatsu! Due to the unpredictable weather, I will plan on purchasing the bus and ferry fares on the day of my trip. Would I need to purchase the bus and ferry separately or is it a combo ticket? And is the ticket office by the ferry terminal?

You can buy a combined ticket at or by the ferry terminal. There's typically a desk set up for this.

• 1 month later...
Thank you very much! This information provided by you is so helpful.

Esther & Kammie, please let us know how your Pulpit Rock Hike went. We are planning to do the same next year on the Sapphire Princess provided independent ferry/bus combo tickets work out well. Kind regards.

• 1 month later...
Esther & Kammie, please let us know how your Pulpit Rock Hike went. We are planning to do the same next year on the Sapphire Princess provided independent ferry/bus combo tickets work out well. Kind regards.

We just got home from our vacation. The independent ferry/bus went smoothly. We walked to the ferry terminal (10-15 min) and took the 8:40 ferry to Tau (via Tide) which is only available June 1 to Aug 31. Everything went without a glitch. I did not buy the combo tickets online since I wanted to be sure of the weather. I suppose you may buy it online a few days in advance (cheaper than buying it on the spot) when the weather forecast becomes more accurate. Returned with the 14:30 bus leaving from Pulpit Rock parking. I used credit card for my purchase (350 NOK return/per person)

In our case, it turns out that it was better arrangement than the cruise excursion. Not only it is much more cost-effective, but the cruise excursion unloads many buses at the same time which creates quite a bit of congestion on the hike if you are among the excursion group. Some people with the cruise excursion were not able to reach the top because of time-constraint.

Do prepare for a 4-hour hike plus some time to spend on the top. If one has minor knee issues like myself, it took me close to 4.5 hours as the steps were steep on some portions of the path.

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy your hike.

We just got home from our vacation. The independent ferry/bus went smoothly. We walked to the ferry terminal (10-15 min) and took the 8:40 ferry to Tau (via Tide) which is only available June 1 to Aug 31. Everything went without a glitch. I did not buy the combo tickets online since I wanted to be sure of the weather. I suppose you may buy it online a few days in advance (cheaper than buying it on the spot) when the weather forecast becomes more accurate. Returned with the 14:30 bus leaving from Pulpit Rock parking. I used credit card for my purchase (350 NOK return/per person)

In our case, it turns out that it was better arrangement than the cruise excursion. Not only it is much more cost-effective, but the cruise excursion unloads many buses at the same time which creates quite a bit of congestion on the hike if you are among the excursion group. Some people with the cruise excursion were not able to reach the top because of time-constraint.

Do prepare for a 4-hour hike plus some time to spend on the top. If one has minor knee issues like myself, it took me close to 4.5 hours as the steps were steep on some portions of the path.

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy your hike.

Thank you for the detailed account of your hike. What time did you manage to get back to the cruise ship? Concerned about the time constraints, as well...as Sapphire Princess is scheduled to be in port for only 7 hours instead of the 8 hours that Crown Princess was in port. Did you have sufficient time to get back to the ship on time? Do you think 7 hours is sufficient? Thank you for your input.

Thank you for the detailed account of your hike. What time did you manage to get back to the cruise ship? Concerned about the time constraints, as well...as Sapphire Princess is scheduled to be in port for only 7 hours instead of the 8 hours that Crown Princess was in port. Did you have sufficient time to get back to the ship on time? Do you think 7 hours is sufficient? Thank you for your input.

We were back to the ship by 4:30 pm. The bus was a little late and we strolled back slowly to the ship as we were so exhausted. In my opinion, 7 hour port time is tight that leaves no margin of error. If everything goes perfectly and you're fast on the hike, I suppose it can be done if you take the 13:45 return bus. Our friends whom we started the hike up together made the 13:45 return bus - they said they hiked down at a quick pace. If one has a solid resting heart rate, like 40-70 bpm and no knee problems, they have a good chance to finish the hike in 4 hours or less. You'll also need to get in the queue early to wait for the return bus to ensure you get on the bus.

Edited by ebeluga
typo

Thanks for all this great info! I'll be on the Crown Princess in a few weeks and want to do this hike. We are in port from 7am - 4pm. I still have some questions!

I found 2 companies that connect with the ferries, Boreal and Norled. Boreal has a 7:20am ferry departure. Do the ships dock exactly on time? Are they ever a little early - or a little late? Any chance we could make the 7:20 departure? There is a 7:40 ferry, but neither company seems to have a bus to meet it, and then they both have an 8am ferry departure. Is it confusing to get on the right bus?

If we get on the 8am ferry, we get to the hike start at 9:15. Then there's a return at 1:45pm, getting back to Stavanger at 3:10pm. Is that cutting it too close?

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all this great info! I'll be on the Crown Princess in a few weeks and want to do this hike. We are in port from 7am - 4pm. I still have some questions!

I found 2 companies that connect with the ferries, Boreal and Norled. Boreal has a 7:20am ferry departure. Do the ships dock exactly on time? Are they ever a little early - or a little late? Any chance we could make the 7:20 departure? There is a 7:40 ferry, but neither company seems to have a bus to meet it, and then they both have an 8am ferry departure. Is it confusing to get on the right bus?

If we get on the 8am ferry, we get to the hike start at 9:15. Then there's a return at 1:45pm, getting back to Stavanger at 3:10pm. Is that cutting it too close?

Thanks for the advice!

We were in port on a Monday so our bus/ferry schedule could be different. You have 9 hours in port, I think you are fine. I may be mistaken but I think Norled is the ferry company, Boreal and Tide are the two bus companies that connect with the ferries which run by Norled. Also Princess ships "usually" dock on time barring any unpredictable circumstances. By the way, the Princess buses that took passengers to Pulpit Rock excursion also ride on the same ferries run by Norled. If you check their excursion time, you might be able to guess which scheduled ferry they take. The only difference, at least in our case, is that Princess buses load up people at the dock and drive onto the same ferry (vs independent travelers walk to the ferry terminal and get on it.) Once the ferry arrives at Tau, Princess buses drive off the ferry and head to Pulpit Rock Parking (vs independent travelers walk off the ferry and get on the bus which is waiting at the terminal.)

It only takes max 10-20 min to walk between the ship dock and ferry terminal, depending on your pace.

Thanks, ebeluga, that's great info. The Princess excursion is 7:30am - 3:30pm, so I would guess they are on the 8am ferry and returning on the 1:45pm ferry that gets to Stavanger at 3:10.

If I run and make the 7:20 ferry, can I just buy my ferry and bus tickets on the ferry? Do I have to stop at the ticket office first?

Thanks!

Thanks, ebeluga, that's great info. The Princess excursion is 7:30am - 3:30pm, so I would guess they are on the 8am ferry and returning on the 1:45pm ferry that gets to Stavanger at 3:10.

If I run and make the 7:20 ferry, can I just buy my ferry and bus tickets on the ferry? Do I have to stop at the ticket office first?

Thanks!

Tide had a table set up outside (no need to go inside the building) right next to the ferry dock, you can't miss it. I'm not sure about getting tix while on the outbound ferry. There were staff checking people's tickets on the return and Tide bus drivers both inbound and outbound check tix before they let you board the bus. I'm not sure how Boreal bus operates their tix system, maybe you can email them and ask. I may have read it somewhere that with Boreal, you buy bus and ferry tickets separately. I chose the easy way by going with Tide and just bought combo/return in one credit card transaction.

Have a great trip!