Notice to all flying from Amsterdam airport Schiphol this summer (2017)

Important travel information – Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Important notice for all travelers departing from Amsterdam: we ask you to be present at Schiphol Airport 3 hours prior to departure for all destinations (Europe and intercontinental). This is due to capacity constraints and waiting times at the security of Schiphol Airport.

Schiphol is having some issues with the large® passenger flow this spring and summer, please plan accordingly if you fly out from Amsterdam, disregard previous given advice.

Peak season: school breaks (this week) and summer peak season which ends at the end of August. Expect lots of ques in the morning and mid day, as the day continues less ques. After customs some reconstruction going on, lots of reopened public space, no issues with finding food & shops and plenty seating around. For "extended" stays in Lounge 2 and 3 (US bound flights) be sure to check the upper level for additional seating and restaurants!

Feel free to ask!

Is there a Delta sky club?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

No, I believe Delta use the (huge) KLM Crown Lounge, as part of Skyteam.

Note that there is secondary screening for US flights on Delta, after security at gate D1 (there may be another location on the E pier too).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there a Delta sky club?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Delta Sky Club members can use the KLM Crown Lounges, KLM is Delta's partner for Amsterdam;

https://www.skyteam.com/en/airports/amsterdam-airport-schiphol/the-klm-crown-lounge/

https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prepare_for_travel/at_the_airport/lounges/lounge_facilities.htm

As a Delta passenger you will have to undergo a pre departure security clearance at gate D1;

If you fly with an US carrier to the US (Delta, United, US Airways / American) then you will be questioned before departure by a security firm. Normally this happens at check-in. Because of the many transfer passengers at Schiphol, this was not always possible. The interview that used to take place at the gate, took some time and space. Now there are two central locations in the terminal where all passengers of US carriers will have to report for departure. As a result, the real gate is not mentioned on your boarding pass, but the location of the PDC; D1 for Delta passengers and E4 for other airlines. After undergoing the interview you will get a receipt with the actual departure gate of your flight.

It is important to know that this is not related to US CBP Pre Clearance. It is an obligation by the US government that passengers are asked certain security questions. Nor is it the case that after the interview passengers are in quarantine. You can go (back) to the lounge or shops and restaurants. KLM passengers do not have to undergo this interview. Additional security checks at the gate for flights to the US can still occur. At D1 (Delta) there are separate queues for Economy, SkyPriority / Comfort Plus, passengers with assistance and Short Connection passengers.

D1 (concourse level) is an easy 5 minutes walk from the no. 52 Crown Lounge (upper floor).

No, I believe Delta use the (huge) KLM Crown Lounge, as part of Skyteam.

Note that there is secondary screening for US flights on Delta, after security at gate D1 (there may be another location on the E pier too).

Heh, somehow I didn't refresh, missed your already given answer. :)

We used choice air for return flight after silhouette cruise in July.

Flight is at 10:30am on delta. We actually booked the Celebrity transfers(we never do that!) to put the pressure on them to get us off the ship and to airport on time.

We will only have carry on bags and have status with delta, so that should help quicken our timing, but it is still a pretty early flight.

I was, and still am, surprised that this flight was available through choice air.

We're flying from Hamburg to Atlanta on one ticket. We have 50 minutes to change planes in AMS. This news increases my anxiety about making our connection. My question is this: will we need to collect our checked bags and go through security again? I'm unclear on the process. We've been through Schipol a couple of times but never coming back to the US. We are US citizens. Thanks.

We're flying from Hamburg to Atlanta on one ticket. We have 50 minutes to change planes in AMS. This news increases my anxiety about making our connection. My question is this: will we need to collect our checked bags and go through security again? I'm unclear on the process. We've been through Schipol a couple of times but never coming back to the US. We are US citizens. Thanks.

I am almost certain that your bags will be "labeled through", be sure to ask about that when checking in in Hamburg.

There's a short connection lane at Schiphol to leave the Schengen area (you will enter Schiphol at Lounge 1 and go through customs to the non Schengen area at that point), any possible hold up will be there, be sure to pick the right line (short connection flight numbers are mentioned on screens at the lines/custom booths). You will pass the D1 pre flight point after customs.

Walking time will be 10 minutes from the possible furthest gates at B and C concourse if you walk in a good pace and use the automatic walkways.

Doable, I think your connection is about the minimum time required, just stay focused and keep on walking towards the D concourse for the short connection lane at customs, after that you're all most there! :)

The mentioned delay is in the general terminals with checking in and security lines. And it also depends on the time of day, mornings are the busiest!

My question is this: will we need to collect our checked bags and go through security again?
I am almost certain that your bags will be "labeled through", be sure to ask about that when checking in in Hamburg.

There's a short connection lane at Schiphol to leave the Schengen area (you will enter Schiphol at Lounge 1 and go through customs to the non Schengen area at that point), any possible hold up will be there, be sure to pick the right line (short connection flight numbers are mentioned on screens at the lines/custom booths). You will pass the D1 pre flight point after customs.

To avoid confusion, I think it's worth being precise about this.

pickypicky's bags should be through-checked, as you say, so there will be no need to collect the bags at AMS. There should therefore no need to go anywhere near anything that looks like a customs check, which basically applies to baggage.

When pickypicky leaves the Schengen area and goes to the non-Schengen area for the flight to the US, they will be going through (exit) immigration, not customs. At this point their passports will be examined and stamped.

If they get to a customs area, which is after baggage reclaim, they will almost certainly miss their onward flight (vestigial though the customs facility is for arrivals from another EU country) because they will then have to exit to landside and clear back to airside through the general security channels with other departing (non-connecting) passengers.

If I remember correctly, for a connecting passenger arriving from Germany, there is usually no need for the standard security screening at AMS. However, there may be extra security at or near the gate for passengers departing to the US.

If I remember correctly, for a connecting passenger arriving from Germany, there is usually no need for the standard security screening at AMS. However, there may be extra security at or near the gate for passengers departing to the US.

Yes, you are right to be precise! The difference between immigration and customs here is important.

If pickypicky is flying Delta, the extra document and interview security check is at Gate D1, which is the first thing on that pier they will come across after the Schengen interface.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the information...it is very helpful! And, yes, we are flying Delta/KLM.

If your leg to America is Delta operated, you will have to undergo the D1 check.

I see from an earlier post that there is a short connection line there, too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My sister just returned from Amsterdam yesterday, flying Delta flight 127 to Boston. She said security was very high, multi-phased, and glad their hotel suggested allowing a sold 3 hours upon arrival. They arrived at the airport shortly after 11:am and began the check-in and security process. The questions we are normally asked by the airline flight check in personnel such as "Did you pack your own bag? Did you leave it unattended at any time?" were part of the secondary interview process. Every piece of electronics was checked as were any liquids. The flight left about 14:30 and between check-in and security, they had little time to sit back and relax before the flight.

My niece was flying back to Southampton and encountered far less scrutiny.

Darcy

We flew out of AMS last summer and from the time we were dropped off in front of the terminal to the time we arrived at the departure gate it was over 1 1/2 hours. Long lines everywhere and multiple security check points.

And double time this summer, so any previously given advice one may find here has to be disregarded. It's 3 hours, your post may encourage people to cut some time but I am sure that wasn't your intention with sharing your experience. :)

Thank you everyone for all your info and comments. We will be flying back to Australia and had not given any thought to how busy or to the fact that security could be heightened at AMS. We leave later in the day but will DEF be allowing 3 hours !

• 3 weeks later...

This is very helpful information.

I have never flown out of Amsterdam before, but we are flying first on american back to the States, will that make the lines any shorter at getting through customs/security, at heathrow they have those special lines do they have anything like that at AMS

This is very helpful information.

I have never flown out of Amsterdam before, but we are flying first on american back to the States, will that make the lines any shorter at getting through customs/security, at heathrow they have those special lines do they have anything like that at AMS

A separate check in might be the best you will be getting, only fast pass through customs s is via Dutch enrolled Privium or self service EU chipped passport after security.

The fastest way is through pre-booked Schiphol VIP Centre with private lounge, catering and platform car service, regardless of carrier. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Important travel information – Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Important notice for all travelers departing from Amsterdam: we ask you to be present at Schiphol Airport 3 hours prior to departure for all destinations (Europe and intercontinental). This is due to capacity constraints and waiting times at the security of Schiphol Airport.

Schiphol is having some issues with the large® passenger flow this spring and summer, please plan accordingly if you fly out from Amsterdam, disregard previous given advice.

Peak season: school breaks (this week) and summer peak season which ends at the end of August. Expect lots of ques in the morning and mid day, as the day continues less ques. After customs some reconstruction going on, lots of reopened public space, no issues with finding food & shops and plenty seating around. For "extended" stays in Lounge 2 and 3 (US bound flights) be sure to check the upper level for additional seating and restaurants!

Feel free to ask!

We are booked on an SAS fight at 6:20 am. Will we still need to get to the airport 3 hours before the flight at this early in the morning?