The Drake

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:30 PM.
PA
613 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by safarigal7072
Thanks, Tutles06. Of course, you are right. We are doing our main research on which would be the better month for our needs and expectations specifically -- early November or mid-February for the 24 day trip to Antarctica, Falkland Islands and South Georgia. My husband and I are amateur photography buffs (he does stills, I shoot video), and love spectacular scenery AND wildlife (have done many trips to Africa). We are trying to decide if November is better because it's more pristine, even if a little colder, or February is better because of penguin chick activity. We're not so much interested in whales. Any suggestions? Or are we simply overthinking this? Ideally, we wish Nat Geo offered the extended trip in December or January, but apparently they only do the shorter version of their trip (just Antarctica) in those months. We're pretty set on doing Nat Geo and not another cruise line. We like the smaller Orion ship, and we are in our early 70s and feel more comfortable with Nat Geo.
I just had to smile a bit at your asking as to whether or not you may be "overthinking" the trip. I debated over various types of Antarctic trips - not only relative to the different companies but also whether to sail or fly over the Drake, etc. for probably the past 10 years or more. I got to the point where I realized that if I simply kept doing more and more research and holding those 'should I or shouldn't I' internal debates with myself, it became obvious that it could go on forever and I might possibly never wind up embarking on a trip that even gets close to Antarctica. I finally decided to just do it and went with the easiest, most uncomplicated trip I could find although it was certainly not as extensive and many people would say as authentic an experience as is available. It worked for me. As many people told me...no matter how you decide to go...just be sure you go! Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll find the trip that works best for you!

I might add to plan on doing BOTH stills and video. I always do both. For this trip especially, you'll be glad you have some video as well. The scenery is spectacular. You'll find that whatever trip you go on, there will be LOTS of people with very good photographic equipment . This is not your average trip where most people are taking shots with their iPhones (although I saw a good number of people doing that). Enjoy!!
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
589 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by three4rd

I might add to plan on doing BOTH stills and video. I always do both. For this trip especially, you'll be glad you have some video as well. The scenery is spectacular. You'll find that whatever trip you go on, there will be LOTS of people with very good photographic equipment . This is not your average trip where most people are taking shots with their iPhones (although I saw a good number of people doing that). Enjoy!!
I have actually won awards for my Antarctica photos taken on my iphone !

There will be countless people taking photos with their phones, tablets, point and shoots, DSLRs, and professional $12,000 Canons with metre long lenses. No one judges how each person chooses to capture their memories.

But agree 100% re video. Its my videos that I re watch constantly. The sound of the wind and the chitter chatter of the penguins - cannot be felt in a photo.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed aboard - too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean)
Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Coming Up:

Hmmmmmmmmm
Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,320 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Thanks for the video suggestions from the previous posters. I rarely have used the video function of my camera. I think I need to try practicing using this function in preparation for my trip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
51 cruises: 30 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
589 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Definitely re video. On my first polar trip I had to keep reminding myself to use it and I am glad I did because I have some incredible memorable moments captured - like standing along on a huge area of ice an an Emperor tobogganing right up close to me and standing up and singing right in front of me. Its 7 years since that moment and I still rewatch that video!

I also personally found when out on whale watching zodiacs - I got far more by videoing the whales coming right up to the zodiac etc - than I did by trying to photograph the all elusive tail !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed aboard - too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean)
Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Coming Up:

Hmmmmmmmmm
PA
613 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
PP,

Do you take your video with the iPhone? I considered that when one of my video cams finally stopped working (was still using Hi-8 until just a few years ago!), but then having experimented with taking video on the iPhone, I just didn't care for it as much. So then I bought a new Sony cam and really like it. It was (and still is) a bit of a steep learning curve relative to transferring all the digital files into Mac iMovie and then deciding how to manage all of them. I also tend to take lots of video on a trip. Our 'drive-by' was no exception, having created a 90-minute iMovie project from the South America / Antarctica trip. The old days were definitely easier - connect the camera to the VCR, stick in a tape, and merely copy the recorded 8mm tape to VHS!
14 Posts
Joined May 2017
Cool Cruiser -- I am curious as to what model Sony cam that you settled on. Is it a dedicated video camera? I am trying to decide whether or not to get a really good DSLR camera that also shoots video, or a dedicated video camcorder (which seem to be a dying breed). How do you like your Sony?
PA
613 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by safarigal7072
Cool Cruiser -- I am curious as to what model Sony cam that you settled on. Is it a dedicated video camera? I am trying to decide whether or not to get a really good DSLR camera that also shoots video, or a dedicated video camcorder (which seem to be a dying breed). How do you like your Sony?
Hi Safarigal,

My Sony is a dedicated video camera, model HDR-PJ540. It's a great camera - very compact. No viewfinder (I still miss that at times) so you have to use the LCD screen that opens up on the side, which works fine although depending on how the light hits the screen it's really hard to see what you're filming. In situations like that is when a viewfinder really works well and is definitely missed. My model also has a projector feature so that you can project the footage right onto a wall. It works really well. It can also take still shots, which is a nice feature. Video and audio quality are both really good also. I highly recommend the Sony if you think that's what you might be looking for. I know there is a newer model out since mine is already 2 years old.