Is it worth paying for a balcony for panama canal?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:59 PM.
North Carolina
644 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
We booked a balcony for the other 13 days. I don't plan on spending much time on it while going through the locks as I plan to run all over the ship and take a gazillion photos, but I love to sit there on sea days and there are nine sea days on our full transit.

As a rule, we usually get a balcony.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Regal Princess, January 2016--Caribbean
Island Princess, February2015--Panama Canal
Emerald Princess, April 2013-- Caribbean
Norwegian Epic, March 2012--Caribbean
Allure of the Seas, June 2011--Caribbean
Crown Princess, March 2010--Caribbean
HAL Zuiderdam, July 2003--Caribbean
Voyager of the Seas, October 2001--Caribbean
Ontario - Canada
1,362 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We did the full transit with Oceanview, only. We were never in our room!

We were all over the ship and viewed the Canal from many different view points. I have NO regrets of not having a Balcony. The decks were our balconies and we were thrilled with the views.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Heather & Anthony
We cruise and we bird !

Photo Galleries & Travel Reviews
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next Caper:
=X= Infinity: Argentina & Chile Holiday Cruise: Dec 2017 Roll Call Chart
=X= Eclipse: Valparaiso to San Diego: March 2019
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

7 Cruises; 38 Ports; 71 Nights at Sea
California
451 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
We were just upgraded to a corner aft balcony 10 days out from sailing. We are looking forward to enjoying it immensely, thanks for all the positive comments!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app
USA
4,443 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
For us a balcony is an absolute. I booked aft cabins for our next five cruises so this will be our first aft, looking forward to it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite

2013-2017, 271 nights at sea
and counting
Celebrity Constellation June & July 2017
DIY Turkey July 2017

Queen Mary 2 TA July 2017
RC Explorer Of The Seas April 2019 (23 nights)

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
Boston
4,394 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We did a full transit on the Legend in 1999 in an OV & were exhausted by the end of the day! While I agree it's nice to view the canal from different vantage points, you have to jockey for position at the rail every time you move.

We booked the Legend again next year & will be in a balcony so when we need a break from the crowd, we can relax on our balcony & still see what's going on. After our first experience, there was no way we'd consider going through the canal in an OV again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!

Completed Cruises: Sovereign of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - December 1990: Sovereign of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - March 1993: Sovereign of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - August 1994: Sovereign of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - November 1996: Legend of the Seas – Panama Canal – April 1999: NCL Majesty - Bermuda - July 2000: Explorer of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - March 2001: Navigator of the Seas – Western Caribbean - March 2007: Navigator of the Seas – Transatlantic – November 2008: Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda/Bahamas – April 2010: Navigator of the Seas B2B2B – Western Caribbean – November 2010: Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda/Caribbean - May 2011: Explorer of the Seas – Southern Caribbean - March 2012: NCL Dawn – Bermuda – May 2012: NCL Dawn – Bermuda – May 2013: NCL Dawn – Repo – April 2014: Legend of the Seas – Panama Canal – April 2015: NCL Dawn – Bermuda – July 2015: NCL Dawn – Bermuda – June 2016:
Australia
1,689 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Anybody booked a premium balcony on the Coral princess for the Panama Canal? Please share your experience with us? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2008 - Sun Princess Around Australia Cruise
2009 - Dawn Princess Fijian Jewels
2010 - Dawn Princess New Zealand
2010 - Sun Princess Cherry Blossom Cruise - Asia
2010 - Diamond Princess Singapore to Sydney
2012 - Dawn Princess Tasmania
2012 - Dawn Princess Hawaii and the Pacific Islands
2012 - Dawn princess Kimberley Explorer Australia
2013 - Diamond Princess Sydney to Beijing
2013 - Ruby Princess Grand Mediterranean/Greek Isl.
2014 - Coral Princess Alaska + Panama Canal cruise
2015 - Golden Princess to New Caledonia + Vanuatu
2015 - Golden Princess to New Zealand
2016 - Golden Princess to New Caledonia + Vanuatu
2017 - Golden Princess to New Zealand
2017 - Sun Princess to Papua New Guinea
2018 - Golden Princess to Pacific Islands
86 Posts
Joined May 2011
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. In the end we went with ocean view -couldn't justify paying $1900 per cabin to upgrade (that's a whole lot of cocktails)

Never know - the upgrade fairy might visit
Florida
5,419 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Thanks for the feedback. As long as you are on the cruise it will all be great!! Enjoy the cruise and the Canal!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BB
"If the phone doesn't ring, it's me!"
"Is it ignorance or is it apathy? ... I don't know and I don't care!"
S.S. Badger R/T from Manitowoc June 02
New Jersey
996 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by Pete69
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. In the end we went with ocean view -couldn't justify paying $1900 per cabin to upgrade (that's a whole lot of cocktails)

Never know - the upgrade fairy might visit

You will LOVE the cruise… a balcony for us would have cost more than $2000 so we stayed with OV… would have preferred not being on the lowest deck but the cabin size was fine and we really did not spend that much time in it---especially during the Panama canal transit. Just enjoy!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BLOG... INDIA/NEPAL Jan/Feb 2015 https://patbblogdotcom.wordpress.com/

BLOG...Paris to Normandy/Paris to Provence 2014 http://aroundtheworldwithcliffandpat.wordpress.com/

1996 American Hawaii Cruises "Independence"
1999 Paris/London (land only!)
2000 NCL"Dream" Scandanavian Capitals (Vantage)
2001 HAL"Rotterdam" Mediterranean cruise
2002 Vantage River Cruise-Amsterdam-Passau (ext to Prague, Budapest)
2003 HAL"Ryndam" Alaska (Vantage land tour also)
2004 Vantage--Iceland (land only)
2006 (Feb) Orient Lines South America Antarctica (Vantage) "Marco Polo"
2007 (Oct)GCT--Australia, NewZealand, Fiji (land only)
2008 (Oct)Vantage--Africa (land only)
2009 (Jan)RCCL Eastern Caribbean--'Serenade of the Seas'
2009 (May)Vantage River Cruise-Moscow to St. Petersburg
2011 (Jan)RCCL. Western Caribbean--'Radiance of the Seas'
2011 (July)HAL--Bermuda--'Veendam'
2011 (Oct)China & Yangzte River with Vantage
2012 (no BIG trips.. but did enjoy DisneyWorld with grandkids!!
2013 (May)Amazon/Machu Picchu & Galapagos (Vantage)
2013 (Sept)GCT US National Parks-gov't interrupted
2014 (Jan)HAL 'Statendam' Panama Canal
2014 (July)Treasures of France RiverCruise (Vantage)
2015 (Jan)EXOTIC INDIA & THE SACRED GANGES (Vantage)
2015 (May) US National Parks (Vantage)
2016 (Jan) HAL 'Zuiderdam' Partial Panama Canal
May 2016 HAL' Rotterdam' North Cape (Norway)
Sept 2016 Douro Rivercruise w/Madeira pretrip (Vantage)
WV
203 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We got our first balcony on canal cruise. We can't turn back, we love it the evenings and it gets me out of her way getting ready in the AM and PM.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed:
Coral Princess- Panama Canal
Emerald Princess - Mediterranean
HAL Statendam- Alaska
Pacific Princess - Amazon River
Oceania Marina - Baltic
Carnival Pride-Eastern Carib. From Baltimore
Future/Booked:
Europe River
Asia Ocean
Houston
2,298 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
At that price difference, I would think twice, but we loved having a balcony for our Canal cruise. We did go topside for the approach to the Pan-American bridge, but I loved going through the locks from our cabin. We were in a deck 7 balcony on Serenade of the Seas, where the balconies are longer, and we had part of the balcony with an overhang, and part in the open air. At one lock, I was the same level as the people in the lock's control room.

There were some friends of ours who had an oceanview and they got to see the inside walls of the locks from their cabin window. I prefered having a closer view of the donkeys and the workings of the canal.

Keep in mind that during the crossing, there will be an announcer talking on the loud speaker about what you are seeing. We found all the talks about the canal to be fascinating, but we really liked hearing it from our own room, (Via the television), instead in the middle of a crowd, where not everyone was interested.

But only you can decide whether a balcony is worth it to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1031.jpg (19.5 KB, 92 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sunward II 9/91, Adventure OTS 9/03, Rhapsody OTS 12/04, Sovereign OTS Rita Evacuation 9/05, Serenade OTS thru the Panama Canal 10/05, Poetry on the Eastern Danube 6/06, "Paradise" Ladies Cruise 3/07, Discovery on the Black Sea 10/07, Prinsendam around the UK and Ireland 7/08, Rotterdam Eastern Med 10/09, Veendam thru THE storm around Cape Horn 12/10, Eurodam Transatlantic following the Vikings 8/11, Navigator OTS 12/14, Liberty OTS 12/15, Carnival Triumph 2/16, Liberty OTS 12/16, Carnival Conquest 5/17
Victoria, BC
354 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
As others have said, when we did the full transit on the Island Princess we were moved from bow to stern, upper decks to water level to get the full experience. We had one of the 700 series balcony cabins and as another poster mentioned above, we were very close to a rear viewing deck where we spent some of our time, but at dawn we were on the front of the upper decks to see the approach to the locks and stayed there through the first series. The mid-day heat did drive us into the air conditioning, but we popped in and out all day.

We loved having the balcony when sailing into ports in the early morning, or as a quiet place to read in the fresh air on sea days, enjoy a pre-dinner glass of wine, or a nightcap later on. We are looking into a longer repositioning cruise that includes the canal for 2015 and are looking to do a balcony again.

Another factor is whether you are travelling with others or not. We tend to spend more time in our cabin when we travel by ourselves, but with friends, we often are meeting up around the ship.

There will be some who argue both ways. Consider how you like to travel!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

July 2016 - Alaska Great Land Explorer (Maasdam)
April 2015 - Panama Canal Westbound Repositioning (Westerdam)
July 2013 - Alaska Inside Passage 30th Anniversary Cruise (Zuiderdam)
Dec. 2012 - Mexican Riviera New Year's Cruise(Zaandam)
March 2010 - Panama Canal - Full Transit (Island Princess)
July 2008 - Classical Europe (Royal Princess)
Aug 2004 - Alaska Cruisetour (Ryndam)
Feb 1994 - E. Caribbean (Regal Princess)
May 1992 - Alaska (Regal Princess)
Boquete, Chiriqui, Panama
1,194 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
If you are willing to pay the difference there is nothing better than a balcony for a cruise. However, in terms of the Canal Day itself, it's nice, but certainly not necessary. A lot of times when you are at sea it can be too windy to enjoy your balcony, but because you are going slowly through the Canal, it's nice. Nice, not necessary. If your ship offers breafast or lunch served on your balcony with champagne ... it's VERY nice!

Regards, Richard
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Richard Detrich - Port & Canal Lecturer & Author
10,489 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I have been checking prices for a Panama cruise, and the price of a balcony is more than double the price of an inside cabin.

I don't see the value since there are lots of places I can go outside to lounge and view the ocean. I also enjoy being around people and a balcony eliminates that.

As others have stated, the transit itself is much more enjoyable if you go to various areas of the ship to see and take pictures.
Victoria, BC
354 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
We looked at 4 different sailings on HAL for the within a one month period thru the Panama canal and found quite a difference in balcony prices. The smaller ships had fewer balconies and were significantly higher than OV. On the larger ships with more balcony categories, there was a much smaller gap in price. By choosing the larger ship (Westerdam rather than Amsterdam) we saved about $1000 per person on the price of a balcony.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

July 2016 - Alaska Great Land Explorer (Maasdam)
April 2015 - Panama Canal Westbound Repositioning (Westerdam)
July 2013 - Alaska Inside Passage 30th Anniversary Cruise (Zuiderdam)
Dec. 2012 - Mexican Riviera New Year's Cruise(Zaandam)
March 2010 - Panama Canal - Full Transit (Island Princess)
July 2008 - Classical Europe (Royal Princess)
Aug 2004 - Alaska Cruisetour (Ryndam)
Feb 1994 - E. Caribbean (Regal Princess)
May 1992 - Alaska (Regal Princess)
119 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
We sometimes book balconies and sometimes interiors with either French Doors or walkway windowsso we get natural light. For our canalcruiseon the Miracle, we booked a bowling alley balcony(185 sq. Feet). The balcony isas big as the cabin. We plan to spend a lot of time on deck during the transit, but there are only 5 port days. We will enjoy the balcony on the 8 sea daysand will probably spend a little time on it during the transit. It cost double the price of a regular interior, but for this cruise we believe it will be worth the extra money.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Cruise Line -98 days
NCL Cruise Line - 7 days
Royal Caribbean - 7 days
273 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
our cruises (8) have been based on itinerary and then we get cabin based on price and our budget.......we have always gotten a room with a balcony (sometimes bumped up to suites) but our decision on balcony would not be based on one day's event like the canal itself since you will want to ramble around ship to get a variety of views......our decision on balcony is simply as a relaxation place while sailing on sea days or place to unwind after long day or simply some private sunning.......my policy is to go with what you can afford in order to go on a great vacation!!