Looking for a beach for limited mobility

OC PAT

Hello. We will be cruising this November and looking for a beach that can address our needs. We do not use canes but long walks and declines are a big problem. We want to rent chairs and an umbrella. We have our snorkeling equip so that's a nice activity but not a must. We do want a beach with bathroom and shower access. A bar is okay but we won't be doing alcohol. A restaurant is also nice but not a must. Since we live on one of the cleanest beach on the east coast we can't handle neglected and trashy beaches.

So with over 300 beaches is there one for us? If you have a recommendation please include the taxi fare if you know it. All inclusives are nice but since we do not plan to do much eating and drinking I think we can not justify the extra expense unless that is the only alternative to a beach for limited mobility.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

This is in the right place but still no answers.

Hello. We will be cruising this November and looking for a beach that can address our needs. We do not use canes but long walks and declines are a big problem. We want to rent chairs and an umbrella. We have our snorkeling equip so that's a nice activity but not a must. We do want a beach with bathroom and shower access. A bar is okay but we won't be doing alcohol. A restaurant is also nice but not a must. Since we live on one of the cleanest beach on the east coast we can't handle neglected and trashy beaches.

So with over 300 beaches is there one for us? If you have a recommendation please include the taxi fare if you know it. All inclusive is nice but since we do not plan to do much eating and drinking I think we can not justify the extra expense unless that is the only alternative to a beach for limited mobility.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

One of my favourites is Turner's. I think it would fit the bill in your case. It's very large and gorgeous and not as busy as some of the others. I had lunch there one day when Mr. Turner himself sat down for a chat. Yes, it really is Turner's Beach. A taxi can drop you twenty paces from the sand. You can research it further.

One thing you need to be aware of is that many of the beaches have very steep drop offs and can be difficult to climb back out of. A few of us older ladies were at Valley Church Beach and if it were not for a local young man who helped us out we would still be bobbing in the water.

Another time at another beach DH was supposed to come back in the water to help me out. Instead he was sound asleep in his lounge chair and I had to crawl out.

Antigua's beaches are beautiful and I am sure not all of them are problematic, just do careful research and get opinions from the older and less agile CC members.

Doug, I will look into Turner Beach. Allentown you made me laugh...been there done that. We live on the ocean and have sandbars that shift and can scare the heck out of you! Hubby is always there to watch over me. I can swim fine but climbing up in the water is a bit tough.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been searching for the same....swim like a fish but getting in and out can be problematic....I see the beaches are quite wide....lot of walking on soft sand and several having a steep rise....we also want some local food....have narrowed it down to runaway bay and fort James beach to go to beach limerz....beaches in that area narrower and seem quieter than dickenson which has several hotels and multiple bars....I don't want too much action....a chaise and a frozen drink and i'm good...this area is also close to the ship which is a plus....i've spent a lot of money getting cabs to beaches where it was not safe enough for me....and had some interesting antics getting out of the water!!.....

I, too, have difficulty getting out of the water at some beaches. We have been going to Antigua for several years and have usually gone to Jolly Beach as there are some areas that are easy to get in/out of. One of the things I do when at the beach is to watch others entering and exiting the ocean so I can see whether there is a drop off or not. At Jolly Beach, I have found that going in and coming out is easiest if you enter on the side of the beach that has the "dock" (not really a dock-maybe more of a fishing pier.) This cruise we went to Darkwood Beach for a change and, again, I found somewhat easy spot to enter/exit the water. Again, just watch the other swimmers to find the easiest entry.

• 1 month later...

Great topic. My husband has limited mobility and we're also hesitant of heading to a beach we're not familiar with. Having been to Antigua a few times on a cruise we've never been to a beach there.

• 1 year later...

I was looking for this type of information before our day at Antigua, so I thought I'd let you know how we went.

I pre-arranged our day at Beach Limerz restaurant and beach with Gail by email for our day trip from our cruise ship in April 2017.

Gail arranged everything for us; a booking at the restaurant, sun loungers on the beach (for a fee) and for a lovely young driver Anthony to pick us up near the port and take us back. Everything went smoothly and we had an amazing day. Gail, her husband Barry and their staff were all really lovely; they greeted us like old friends when we arrived!

The quaint little beach is steps from the restaurant and is just stunning; like something from a postcard. The four of us were the only ones around so it was like a private piece of paradise!

The beach is not steep and is easy to access from the restaurant area. There was a slight swell but the sea wasn’t too rough and it was easy to get in and out of the water, with no sharp drop-off like other beaches in the area.

There are a few stairs to the restaurant; they are solid timber with good rails either side.

Staff bought cocktails down to the beach for us so that made it really easy. After time on the beach, we changed in the restaurant bathrooms and had a great lunch in the amazing beach style restaurant overlooking the beach. You can eat inside the restaurant or there are tables outside under umbrellas.

I think this beach and restaurant are a good option for people with impaired mobility, providing you can manage stairs and are comfortable getting in and out of the water with waves coming in.

Happen to answer any questions.

Cheers

Amanda