Are solo cruisers being discriminated by CUNARD?

travelberlin

Just to add some good news: Cunard UK have allowed me to amend my booking to add a travelling companion to my Solo booking without losing my deposit. It cost me an extra £199 for the second person on the 12 day Canary cruise in December :D

No it hasn't time and again we read on these boards that babies are charged full price or a reduced rate and the argument is that baby is taking a place in a life boat that an adult could have.

Or a person is booked in a 3 person cabin but are unable to add an extra guest as their muster station is full.

If this argument is true by having one person less in one cabin means you can have one extra person in another cabin. So saying the cruise line is loosing money is nonsense by this reasoning.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Sorry but that is a weak and unrealistic argument.

For your scenario to work you need someone​ to want to book a three when you have already allowed someone to book a solo with no supplement, and this over occupancy to occur at the same muster station.

That is going to fail to happen more times than it succeeds.

Hi again, travelberlin.

Cunard's U.S. web site does indeed advertise a base fare of $1199 per person double occupancy for a category FC Oceanview cabin on voyage Q726. However, that fare can only be obtained by entering promotional code RGS during the booking process on Cunard's U.S. web site. Here are the base fares I am seeing on cunard.com with and without entering that promotional code.

With promotional code RGS

Base fare per person for two passengers: $1199

Base fare per person for one passenger: $2273

Without promotional code RGS

Base fare per person for two passengers: $2551

Base fare per person for one passenger: $4464

I trust this helps clarify the situation. This often happens on cunard.com when promotions are being run. In those situations, the fares one sees advertised on the web site cannot actually be obtained without knowing a promotional code to enter to activate that promotional pricing.

Regards,

John

Yes John this clarifies the situation indeed. Thanks for your answer.

Yes John this clarifies the situation indeed. Thanks for your answer.

You're very welcome, travelberlin.

Having to know promotional codes to get the lowest fares is pretty much confined to Cunard's web site and perhaps one or two other travel web sites I have run into over the years. Most of the time, the major U.S. cruise booking web sites will automatically show you promotional pricing without you having to know any promotional codes.

Regards,

John

I have been looking at prices of some cruises with Cunard for double occupancy and for solo occupancy. For example a cruise to the Norwegian Fiords in August, a cabin for double occupancy costs about US 2500. The same cabin for solo occupancy costs about US 4500.

This is the first time I see such solo supplements on a cruise line. Is this common practice now with Cunard?

I seem to have the same glitch on my Cunard online access, that is why, this time I ended up phoning them and speaking to an agent who gave me the correct prices. The price for two is shown as doubled EACH, so I take it with a grain of salt, until I really want to book. Hope it works out for you, travelling solo is so expensive, hotel room for one, full price, taxis same.

I would recommend approaching Travel Agents when searching for solo fares. I think Travel Agents can be given fares that Cunard would not offer themselves. On one occasion I was offered a QG suite solo for very little increase over the per person price - always do some research you never know what you may find.

I would recommend approaching Travel Agents when searching for solo fares. I think Travel Agents can be given fares that Cunard would not offer themselves. On one occasion I was offered a QG suite solo for very little increase over the per person price - always do some research you never know what you may find.

The first thing I did was approach the travel agent. She could not provide better prices than those I have described.

In Australia at the moment I am struggling to find any cruise line with a reduction in the single supplement. One popular online agency that I have used before, has prices, but when you go to book it comes up sold out. Why don't they say so in the first place. My cruising days will be coming to an end if this is so, unless I can find someone to sail with. A sad time for all solo passengers. It is not always our choice to sail solo, but necessity. K

As I cruise solo many times, I understand what you mean. Cruise lines where you can find reduced solo supplements are Azamara, Oceania and Crystal. Have a look at their web pages for their offers for solo travelers. Oceania just came with some cruises with reduced supplements. Both ships from Azamara are also offering the discounts. I am booked on some. But still I would like to book Cunard. We will see...

Cunard now has solo passenger staterooms. They get snatched up quickly and are only for one passenger (one bed) and you can't add a second passenger later. The rates for these cabins are about 150% of the cruise rate. If the ship is filling up- the solo cabin rates do go up. It's supply and demand.

Cunard now has solo passenger staterooms. They get snatched up quickly and are only for one passenger (one bed) and you can't add a second passenger later. The rates for these cabins are about 150% of the cruise rate. If the ship is filling up- the solo cabin rates do go up. It's supply and demand.

Are this normal size rooms? I have heard from cabins at Norwegian or Royal, where there are mini cabins.

The solo cabins are on deck 2 on all of the fleet (and there are more on deck 3 of QM2) and are approximately 160 square feet. They majority of these are outside cabins (very few inside solo cabins) So you pay approximately 150% of what an outside cabin runs per person. However, you have to book early because I notice the price goes up really quickly on these- even if they are available. For instance I'm doing a TA in a regular outside (paying double occupancy) because I waited too long and the solo cabin wasn't available. Having said that- I have an outside "guarantee"- so when it gets closer to the date- perhaps I will be assigned to one of the solo cabins if one opens up. BTW- I did the solo cabin on Norwegian and it was 99 square ft- and it was great! I loved it. Great comfortable double bed, clean, bright, plenty of storage for one person. Nice solo passenger lounge- with complimentary coffee machine (cappicino, espresso, etc) fruit, cookies and cake. It was at the end of the hall from my cabin and it was nice to fix a cup of coffee without having to run up to the buffet or down to the restaurants. I highly recommend. https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/single_cabins

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

.... BTW- I did the solo cabin on Norwegian and it was 99 square ft- and it was great! I loved it. Great comfortable double bed, clean, bright, plenty of storage for one person. Nice solo passenger lounge- with complimentary coffee machine (cappicino, espresso, etc) fruit, cookies and cake. It was at the end of the hall from my cabin and it was nice to fix a cup of coffee without having to run up to the buffet or down to the restaurants. I highly recommend...

Depends on what one likes. NCL is much more casual than Cunard and has "freestyle" dining. I would not want dine alone or to have to seek out dining companions every day. Cunard will mix solos with couples at large tables. If a solo comes in alone for breakfast or lunch and says that he or she will share, the Maitre D' will seat him or her with others. On most NCL ships dining companions have to enter the dining room together.

(The Studio Lounges do have their problems especially when solos are traveling as part of a larger group. The solo lets in couples who drink the coffee and find it's a great place to hang out. Or they let it kids who devour the cookies and act like kids.)

Actually in response to the post about dining alone on NCL- One of the great things is the interaction with the solo passengers. You run into other single passengers in the studio lounge, which was quiet and there really were not kids in there. Only once was a tiny four year in there and he was quiet and just walked through with an adult. So I don't think that one has to worry about that. You can only get into the Lounge with your room key- so anyone coming in would have to be accompanied by a studio passenger. There is a group meet up - every night at 5PM in the studio lounge- led by a dedicated crew member (part of the activities staff). From there the entire group dines together. I did this twice on my cruise, but it was available to passengers every night. Sometimes I didn't want to eat at 5:30- so that's why I didn't go, but it was great fun when I did. Many of the single passengers hung out with each other throughout the cruise- so it was easy to meet other singles and if you wanted to dine with one of them- they would be happy to comply. NCL is very casual, but I really had a good time. I like all the lines- each offers a different experience. Having the solo cabins is a real plus though- makes it more affordable for sure.

Actually in response to the post about dining alone on NCL- One of the great things is the interaction with the solo passengers. You run into other single passengers in the studio lounge, which was quiet and there really were not kids in there. Only once was a tiny four year in there and he was quiet and just walked through with an adult. So I don't think that one has to worry about that. You can only get into the Lounge with your room key- so anyone coming in would have to be accompanied by a studio passenger. There is a group meet up - every night at 5PM in the studio lounge- led by a dedicated crew member (part of the activities staff). From there the entire group dines together. I did this twice on my cruise, but it was available to passengers every night. Sometimes I didn't want to eat at 5:30- so that's why I didn't go, but it was great fun when I did. Many of the single passengers hung out with each other throughout the cruise- so it was easy to meet other singles and if you wanted to dine with one of them- they would be happy to comply. NCL is very casual, but I really had a good time. I like all the lines- each offers a different experience. Having the solo cabins is a real plus though- makes it more affordable for sure.

Now I would see that as a limitation as it's singles dining with other singles rather than mingled with couples. That's why I like the assigned dining on Cunard. Fortunately not all cruise lines are alike so we have choices. One person's paradise is another person's hell.

By no means is NCL paradise. I enjoyed my cruise. I can always find fun things to do on any ship, but you get what you pay for. NCL is crowded and casual, but, bottom line- it is fun. For someone on a budget- it's a good choice.

I am glad you enjoy NCL solo cabins and interaction with other solo. I myself prefer a larger cabin, something which I consider the standard cabin. Sometimes I would like to interact with other passengers but sometimes I prefer to be on my own. In this sense, I would not like to have a special area just for solo cruisers. But I can understand that some people might find it attractive.

Getting back 'On Topic' I'm just surprised that this boards two intrepid sole travellers haven't yet commented.

I travelled solo on QM2 in November 2013 and certainly didn't pay anything like the mark-ups being touted...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/11/20/solo-trans-atlantic-live-blog-day-1/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/12/03/solo-trans-atlantic-blog-the-summary/

Booked a saver fare from NY for next month and our son booked a solo saver fare it's only £170 cheaper than our cabin for two so where is the flight reduction on the solo fare it's normally £300pp..?

265163157e2465d10c480ece6a95b149.jpg

52329e56f464fb83dbd3cee4fd45d41f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

I think Cunard is a good line for singles. The 175% price for solo travelers is better than most lines. I have cruised aboard the QM2 twice during the past year as a solo traveler. For both cruises, I booked an inside stateroom and was upgraded to a new single ocean view stateroom. In September 2016, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 2 for a Canada/New England cruise. In April 2017, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 3 for a World Cruise segment (Hong Kong to Singapore). The staterooms in both categories are beautiful and very conveniently located. The staterooms on Deck 2 have high ceilings and the staterooms on Deck 3 have two very large windows.

In my experience, Cunard passengers are very friendly. I have met many interesting people during my Cunard cruises.

Chuck

Hi,

I think Cunard is a good line for singles. The 175% price for solo travelers is better than most lines. I have cruised aboard the QM2 twice during the past year as a solo traveler. For both cruises, I booked an inside stateroom and was upgraded to a new single ocean view stateroom. In September 2016, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 2 for a Canada/New England cruise. In April 2017, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 3 for a World Cruise segment (Hong Kong to Singapore). The staterooms in both categories are beautiful and very conveniently located. The staterooms on Deck 2 have high ceilings and the staterooms on Deck 3 have two very large windows.

In my experience, Cunard passengers are very friendly. I have met many interesting people during my Cunard cruises.

Chuck

Good morning Chuck.

Not too dissimilar to my experience when I solo cruised.

I had booked one of those

10964429944_0f49d04c5f_z.jpg

and was upgraded to Britannia Club...

10981688244_4360aed638_z.jpg

As you say, most passengers are very friendly and I never had a dull moment...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/11/21/solo-trans-atlantic-live-blog-day-2/

Getting back 'On Topic' I'm just surprised that this boards two intrepid sole travellers haven't yet commented.

I travelled solo on QM2 in November 2013 and certainly didn't pay anything like the mark-ups being touted...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/11/20/solo-trans-atlantic-live-blog-day-1/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/12/03/solo-trans-atlantic-blog-the-summary/

Oops SR, I'm at Sea at the moment and only just clocked in ;)... Yes quite right, me too. I've never paid any more than the usual 175% on Cunard , and of course as a seasoned Cunard guest, I've been known to have been offered an upgraded or two ..........three or even four ... ;p

Oops SR, I'm at Sea at the moment and only just clocked in ;)... Yes quite right, me too. I've never paid any more than the usual 175% on Cunard , and of course as a seasoned Cunard guest, I've been known to have been offered an upgraded or two ..........three or even four ... ;p

Don't know how you are so lucky with upgrades.... I am platinum and usually travel solo. Not had an upgrade yet!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Don't know how you are so lucky with upgrades.... I am platinum and usually travel solo. Not had an upgrade yet!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good morning Cassandra.

I guess one of mine and Bell Boy's secrets is that we do mix socially and aren't afraid to offer our own hospitality on the odd occasion.

We are certainly never anonymous when onboard.