How to find a good TA

Todd320

I'm looking for tips or strategies on how to find a good TA that will discount Princess cruises. We have been cruising around 70 days a season on Princess and have gotten reasonable service from out TA but only minor OBC for our business.

You hear all the time on the board about people having a travel agent who gives meaningful discounts but talk is cheap and it's hard to know what is fact or fiction.

I have poked around Big Box TA's a little and have found nothing really exciting.

With keeping within CC policy any help in finding a good TA would be greatly appreciated.

That worked for me too.

I did the same, getting 10% off the commisionable fare does add up when you are booking suites on Princess. There is also a small group OBC added to your account. For our Silversea to Antarctica cruise, getting a $3000 refund check. So glad I got the referral from a long time poster here.

Not so sure the "Best" travel agents are the ones who offer the most OBC.

Other extra & above things they do are important as well. :)

I agree with this. We always get an OBC of some sort from our TA, but it's the discounted cruise price that keeps us coming back. There are plenty of other ways to get OBC (Princess promo, FCD, Shareholder, Military, etc.).

While I am thrilled my TA discounts - what brings me back to her is her wealth of knowledge, her responsiveness and knowing that she will have my back if something happens to go wrong along the way. She has been on most of the ships with the main stream lines and routinely sails multiple lines to stay in touch with what line offers what. She has also traveled extensively so she can make first hand recommendations. One may not know how great their TA is until something doesn't go as expected and your TA has your back!

So it is more then discounting and the best price.

Edited by Coral
added word "not" in underlined area

While I am thrilled my TA discounts - what brings me back to her is her wealth of knowledge, her responsiveness and knowing that she will have my back if something happens to go wrong along the way. She has been on most of the ships with the main stream lines and routinely sails multiple lines to stay in touch with what line offers what. She has also traveled extensively so she can make first hand recommendations. One may know how great their TA is until something doesn't go as expected and your TA has your back!

So totally agree with Coral on this. (y) .. (y) ... (y)

LuLu

Been cruising since the early l980s... on 9 different lines... before computers, TAs were useful ... have had more than my share of TAs over the years... for the past 10 years... really don't see the value... I can do just as well directly with the cruise line. I actually book all my own air, hotels and cruises, plus travel insurance separately... if you book early these days, during launch fares on cruise lines often get a good deal... I received a $500 on board credit from Princess for pass two cruises booked while on board a ship, never got that from any TA.

While I am thrilled my TA discounts - what brings me back to her is her wealth of knowledge, her responsiveness and knowing that she will have my back if something happens to go wrong along the way. She has been on most of the ships with the main stream lines and routinely sails multiple lines to stay in touch with what line offers what. She has also traveled extensively so she can make first hand recommendations. One may not know how great their TA is until something doesn't go as expected and your TA has your back!

I totally agree with you!!

Tony

Been cruising since the early l980s... on 9 different lines... before computers, TAs were useful ... have had more than my share of TAs over the years... for the past 10 years... really don't see the value... I can do just as well directly with the cruise line. I actually book all my own air, hotels and cruises, plus travel insurance separately... if you book early these days, during launch fares on cruise lines often get a good deal... I received a $500 on board credit from Princess for pass two cruises booked while on board a ship, never got that from any TA.

Here's the value.

My TA passes along the cruise line perks including the on board credit.

My TA also gives a 10% discount after passing on the perks.

I get everything you get from the cruise line plus another 10%.

You're leaving 10% of the cruise fare on the table.

Disagree ;)

Here's the value.

My TA passes along the cruise line perks including the on board credit.

My TA also gives a 10% discount after passing on the perks.

I get everything you get from the cruise line plus another 10%.

You're leaving 10% of the cruise fare on the table.

Agree :D

I think a 10% discount on top of what you get from the cruise line is worth it to me. It must not be worth it to you?

I also get better benefits with insurance. For example, I can book insurance with my agent at final payment and cover pre-existing conditions. Most have to buy insurance right away to get this option.

I agree with this. We always get an OBC of some sort from our TA, but it's the discounted cruise price that keeps us coming back. There are plenty of other ways to get OBC (Princess promo, FCD, Shareholder, Military, etc.).

discounted cruise price? My TA is good, but I never get a different price than what is advertised on any of the travel websites including the cruise website. So you actually pay less than advertised prices?

discounted cruise price? My TA is good, but I never get a different price than what is advertised on any of the travel websites including the cruise website. So you actually pay less than advertised prices?

Always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let your TA know that you are a Shopper .

Seems that TA is taking your business for granted ?

You should always get a better price and amenities from your TA than the best deal from Princess.

TA can book any promo that Princess offers , then give you something better as a "Thanks for your business" .

From what i understand when you get a discount on top of what is offered by Princess: 1. if it is a big box store they probably have some account set up to do this 2. if it is a smaller company then your agent is giving you some of her/his commission. From what i have heard they do not make that much to begin with.

My agent is great. She is there when i need her and have questions or problems. I have called her from a foreign port with a problem and she called princess and got it straightened out! She also gets me the best deal possible. She always gives us some type of gift on every cruise. We can get a hold of her any time of the night or day.

She has been able to get us OBC when the fare drops after we have made final payment.

We found her on a prior cruise that we had taken and she was a table mate. That was 12 years ago.

From what i understand when you get a discount on top of what is offered by Princess: 1. if it is a big box store they probably have some account set up to do this 2. if it is a smaller company then your agent is giving you some of her/his commission. From what i have heard they do not make that much to begin with.

My agent is great. She is there when i need her and have questions or problems. I have called her from a foreign port with a problem and she called princess and got it straightened out! She also gets me the best deal possible. She always gives us some type of gift on every cruise. We can get a hold of her any time of the night or day.

She has been able to get us OBC when the fare drops after we have made final payment.

We found her on a prior cruise that we had taken and she was a table mate. That was 12 years ago.

Our TA calls us immediately with any new information. He answers the phone (immediately calls back from messages left) even when he is traveling across the country and in the evening. He wasn't able to match the amount of OBC offered by a large retailer but, instead, knocked $900 off of my fare. It wasn't quite as much as the OBC but I stuck with him anyway as I like him and get excellent service. I already have the AIBP as a perk on the cruise and felt the $900 fare reduction was of more value to me and I got to stay with the TA that has given such excellent service.

My new agent seems to work all the time, I get emails in the middle of the night, and she answers my phone calls directly or sends an email with the information.

The big box store TA that I used for our upcoming cruise gave us $1735 of OBC (plus all the FCC, CCL, and CC puts us at $2335 OBC). But that refundable $1735 obc is not posted to our account until we board the ship. That was fine for this cruise where I can use it to pay for all of our shorex, but in the future not as desirable as Princess shorex now have to be prepaid starting with the fall sailings.

So the new agent recommended by a long time poster here gives us 10% discount off the fare up front, plus group OBC, and is going to see what we can get with Sip and Sale coming on 6/20.

I also bought insurance through her for our cruise to Antarctica instead of from Silversea because her's was less expensive and covered pre-exisiting conditions, and if you paid within 7 days, also covered insolvency if Silversea should go under (remember the R ships?).

How foolish I was to book three penthouse suites at full price directly with Princess in the past. Never again.

My new agent seems to work all the time, I get emails in the middle of the night, and she answers my phone calls directly or sends an email with the information.

The big box store TA that I used for our upcoming cruise gave us $1735 of OBC (plus all the FCC, CCL, and CC puts us at $2335 OBC). But that refundable $1735 obc is not posted to our account until we board the ship. That was fine for this cruise where I can use it to pay for all of our shorex, but in the future not as desirable as Princess shorex now have to be prepaid starting with the fall sailings.

So the new agent recommended by a long time poster here gives us 10% discount off the fare up front, plus group OBC, and is going to see what we can get with Sip and Sale coming on 6/20.

I also bought insurance through her for our cruise to Antarctica instead of from Silversea because her's was less expensive and covered pre-exisiting conditions, and if you paid within 7 days, also covered insolvency if Silversea should go under (remember the R ships?).

How foolish I was to book three penthouse suites at full price directly with Princess in the past. Never again.

I was under the impression that excursions could still be booked after boarding and that would allow using OBC to pay for them when the OBC wasn't posted until boarding. I haven't seen anything stating that all excursions will have to be paid in advance. Can you please point me to the source of this information? We have a very long (49 day) cruise booked and will want to book excursions after boarding using OBC that won't post to the account in advance.

I was under the impression that excursions could still be booked after boarding and that would allow using OBC to pay for them when the OBC wasn't posted until boarding. I haven't seen anything stating that all excursions will have to be paid in advance. Can you please point me to the source of this information? We have a very long (49 day) cruise booked and will want to book excursions after boarding using OBC that won't post to the account in advance.

I think the poster meant that if you want a confirmed excursion reservation prior to boarding you will have to pay when you reserve. Not that excursions need to be booked prior to boarding. Of course I could be wrong. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrak, you are correct. However most of the best shorex could be already filled if you wait until you board to book them.

For example, a sail on a private boat in Bora Bora took only 6 passengers while Princess sends busloads to Mendenhall Glacier.

Thrak, you are correct. However most of the best shorex could be already filled if you wait until you board to book them.

For example, a sail on a private boat in Bora Bora took only 6 passengers while Princess sends busloads to Mendenhall Glacier.

I'm good for my next two cruises but we booked the 49 day Regal repo FLL to LA around the horn. It doesn't sail until February 2019. If I go with a TA that gives out a ton of OBC (I'd rather use my regular TA but I can't see how he could match something of that sort) I'd want to use the OBC for booking excursions.

You are correct. Only excursions booked in advance need to be paid for in advance. However, there are two problems with waiting until boarding the ship to reserve the excursions:

a) The excursion you want may be sold out. Every time I have boarded there is a list of sold out excursions.

b) Excursions often cost more when booked on board than when booked in advance. I have seen on board pricing for some excursions 10% to 30% higher than what I had to pay with advance booking.

As Princess keeps building larger ships and sailing them to ports with limited tourist infrastructure (for example a Royal class ship in the Falkland Islands), Many passengers will be disappointed that there are not enough ship and private excursions available to meet the demand, so early advance booking is necessary to take those excursions.

As Princess keeps building larger ships and sailing them to ports with limited tourist infrastructure (for example a Royal class ship in the Falkland Islands), Many passengers will be disappointed that there are not enough ship and private excursions available to meet the demand, so early advance booking is necessary to take those excursions.

Thats what I'm concerned about. I have not pre paid an excursion before but this cruise may be an exception.