Tipping/Gratuities in Australia?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:57 PM.
Melbourne, Australia
10,641 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
I cannot believe that something I wrote back in 2008 is still doing the "rounds". We always stay in 5 star hotels here in Australia and when our cases are brought up, I have never seen anyone put their hands out waiting for a tip. We do tip them a gold coin but most of our friends don't bother to tip.
Of course, as I wrote before, if they hear your accent and know that you have come from America, then of course they will expect a tip as they know of your tipping culture.

Luckily down here, all the cruise ships that sail from an Australia port and cruise back to an Australian port have stopped taking out the daily gratuities. Whether they are now included in our fare, I have no idea but it is a much better way of cruising. We have always handed out envelopes to those we think deserve them on the last day. Mainly to our wait staff in the dining room and our room steward.

As far as tipping the bus driver when on a tour. We have travelled extensively in the States and often we have found we have been the only ones to give the driver and guide a tip and we were probably the only Aussies on the bus. I have watched the passengers getting off as quickly as possible through the rear door! Here in Australia, no-one has to tip and the tips are not expected. We follow your custom when in the States and in the countries that expect tips, so please do not force your custom of tipping here in Australia. Surely that is the end of the argument which apparently has been resurrected from 2008!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Cruises:
2017 Sea Princess Sydney to Sydney via Hawaii, Tahiti & New Zealand
2017 Emerald Princess Sydney to New Caledonia & Vanuatu
2016 QM2 - New York to Southampton
2016 Marina - Papeete to New York
2016 Golden Princess Melbourne to New Zealand & Return
2015 Sun Princess - Brisbane to New Guinea
2015 Ocean Princess - Singapore to Cape Town
2015 Celebrity's Solstice - Sydney to New Caledonia & Vanuatu
2014 Diamond Princess - Kyushu & Onsens Mystery Cruise around Japan due to 2 typhoons
2014 Ocean Princess - Australia & Asia
2013 Noordam - Adriatic & Roman Explorer
2013 Ocean Princess - Land of the Midnight Sun
2013 Celebrity's Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
2012 Emerald Princess - New England Cruise Tour
2011 Royal Princess - Tahiti to Ft. Lauderdale via Sth America - Farewell Cruise
2010 Ocean Princess - Capetown to Dover - via West Africa
2009 Prinsendam - Athens to Ft. Lauderdale - Transatlantic
2009 Azamara's Quest - Hong Kong to Beijing - Far East Asia
2008 Tahitian Princess - Vancouver - Vancouver - Alaska in depth
2008 Oceania's Nautica - Hong Kong to Athens - the Pirate run!
2007 Tahitian Princess - Tahiti to Hawaii
2007 Pacific Princess - Sydney - Sydney - the Pacific Islands
2006 Veendam - Vancouver to Tampa via the Amazon
2006 Galapagos Explorer ll - Galapagos Islands
2006 Regal Princess - Rio de Janeiro to Valpariso via Antarctica
2005 Maasdam - Boston to Rotterdam via Greenland, Iceland & Norway
2004 Prinsendam - Athens to Venice via the Black Sea
2004 Tahitian Princess - Tahiti & the Cook Islands
2003 Noordam - Copenhagen to Rome
1999 Maasdam - Dover to Copenhagen via Russia (Baltic)
1995 Olympic - Greek Islands & Istanbul
1982 Oriana - Pacific Islands & New Zealand.

Future Cruises:
September, 2017 - Scenic River Cruise - France 21 days
December 2017 - Southern Cross Explorer - Oceania's Regatta - 34 days
Auckland New Zealand
68 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Aussie Gal
I cannot believe that something I wrote back in 2008 is still doing the "rounds". We always stay in 5 star hotels here in Australia and when our cases are brought up, I have never seen anyone put their hands out waiting for a tip. We do tip them a gold coin but most of our friends don't bother to tip.
Of course, as I wrote before, if they hear your accent and know that you have come from America, then of course they will expect a tip as they know of your tipping culture.

Luckily down here, all the cruise ships that sail from an Australia port and cruise back to an Australian port have stopped taking out the daily gratuities. Whether they are now included in our fare, I have no idea but it is a much better way of cruising. We have always handed out envelopes to those we think deserve them on the last day. Mainly to our wait staff in the dining room and our room steward.

As far as tipping the bus driver when on a tour. We have travelled extensively in the States and often we have found we have been the only ones to give the driver and guide a tip and we were probably the only Aussies on the bus. I have watched the passengers getting off as quickly as possible through the rear door! Here in Australia, no-one has to tip and the tips are not expected. We follow your custom when in the States and in the countries that expect tips, so please do not force your custom of tipping here in Australia. Surely that is the end of the argument which apparently has been resurrected from 2008!

Well put and I concur with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
11,631 Posts
Joined Jul 2010

We always tip our bus driver, even the shuttle from the airport terminal to the long term parking lot. Usually it is only a dollar per person. We see that more than half of the bus usually tips the driver. Not sure where in America you noticed this, but it surprised me. We love Australia and got used to not tipping, as we did in Japan, which is also a no tip culture.
London
22,104 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by notentirelynormal
I can guarantee you that when we were there 10 years ago we were most assuredly made clear that we were expected to tip.
Look, even in non-tipping countries, if there are groups of people who look like they're ripe for the plucking, there will be some people who will simply pluck away. That's just human nature - and it has nothing to do with whether or not tipping is in truth genuinely expected there.

In particular, if your bus driver really said the following, it's seems quite clear what was happening. On the assumption that the bus driver was an Aussie, he wouldn't have needed to go to the bank to be told that US dollars are useless in Australia (unless, of course, you accumulate a decent stash). But why tell you this? It seems to me that it was very likely to have been to try to make sure that when your group was milked, it was milked of Australian dollars:-

Originally posted by notentirelynormal
Said that cutest tip someone left was worse then not tipping. He had to go to the bank to be told the money was useless in Australia.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-
Australian spelling lesson: There is no 'U' in .-

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
UPDATED: Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_
Melbourne, Australia
10,641 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by 4774Papa
We always tip our bus driver, even the shuttle from the airport terminal to the long term parking lot. Usually it is only a dollar per person. We see that more than half of the bus usually tips the driver. Not sure where in America you noticed this, but it surprised me. We love Australia and got used to not tipping, as we did in Japan, which is also a no tip culture.
Believe it or not I was referring to ship's excursions. We have noticed this time and time again. The last time we noticed it was last year when we were on a 35 day cruise from Tahiti to New York and we were mostly with U.S. passengers.

When I organize our own excursions of say about 10 people, we always tip and we work how much we will give amongst ourselves. Of course this is when we are overseas and in tipping countries. I would never tip in Japan as that would be an offense to the Japanese.

Jennie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Cruises:
2014 Diamond Princess - Kyushu & Onsens Mystery Cruise around Japan due to 2 typhoons
2011 Royal Princess - Tahiti to Ft. Lauderdale via Sth America - Farewell Cruise

Future Cruises:
New Jersey
2,073 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Believe it or not I was referring to ship's excursions. We have noticed this time and time again. The last time we noticed it was last year when we were on a 35 day cruise from Tahiti to New York and we were mostly with U.S. passengers.

When I organize our own excursions of say about 10 people, we always tip and we work how much we will give amongst ourselves. Of course this is when we are overseas and in tipping countries. I would never tip in Japan as that would be an offense to the Japanese.

Jennie

Catching up here my personal e mail was not able to connect with you that is a long story. Look forward to you sending your emails. Hope the cruise is enjoyable. Will you cross paths with Tony?
Arlington, Virginia
2,551 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I'd have to disagree with that statement. We (Americans) lived in Australia for several years and not once did we get the impression that a restaurant server, hotel employee, bus driver, taxi driver, etc. was expecting a tip from us when they heard our American accents. We acted like a local and did not tip. Nobody looked twice at us.
Melbourne, Australia
10,641 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by brownblonde
Catching up here my personal e mail was not able to connect with you that is a long story. Look forward to you sending your emails. Hope the cruise is enjoyable. Will you cross paths with Tony?
I will be sending my usual emails and no we are not catching up with Tony as it is a cruise from Sydney to Sydney.

Jennie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Cruises:

Future Cruises:
Melbourne, Australia
10,641 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by GradUT
I'd have to disagree with that statement. We (Americans) lived in Australia for several years and not once did we get the impression that a restaurant server, hotel employee, bus driver, taxi driver, etc. was expecting a tip from us when they heard our American accents. We acted like a local and did not tip. Nobody looked twice at us.
Not everyone is out for a tip when they hear your accent. Also, if you didn't live in Sydney then it would be different as that is where most of the cruise ships tie up and also most of the tourists visit there. Down here in Melbourne, tipping is not such a big thing though we always tip when we go out to a restaurant for dinner. Saying that, we went out on Tuesday night to a very nice restaurant and we had to pay at the counter on the way out. We paid by credit card and there was no way we could have added a tip plus there was no box to put a tip in. In other words, tipping was not expected at all.

Jennie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Cruises:

Future Cruises:
I come from a land down under
22,137 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Not everyone is out for a tip when they hear your accent. Also, if you didn't live in Sydney then it would be different as that is where most of the cruise ships tie up and also most of the tourists visit there. Down here in Melbourne, tipping is not such a big thing though we always tip when we go out to a restaurant for dinner. Saying that, we went out on Tuesday night to a very nice restaurant and we had to pay at the counter on the way out. We paid by credit card and there was no way we could have added a tip plus there was no box to put a tip in. In other words, tipping was not expected at all.

Jennie

Some restaurants seem to have that line for tips, many don't. Well that's my experience across a range of eating establishments of many grades, from the most basic Chinese or pizza places to the top establishments.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Perth Western Australia
673 Posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jennie
Back in your earlier posts you told our overseas visitors not to tip while in Australia (2005 - Post 15) yet in your recent posts of the last couple of days you advise that you tip when bags are delivered at the Hotel and whenever you go out to a restaurant for dinner.

"do not force your custom of tipping here in Australia" has a bit of a hollow ring to it to by my way of reckoning.

As I said earlier, this debate will outlast religion and I doubt that any of us will reach a consensus on the rights or wrongs or dos or don"ts on the subject of tipping either in Australia, overseas or on cruise ships.
277 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
No, tipping is not normally required in Australia, unless you have been given exceptional service and feel you want to pay a tip. That is up to you, but please note it is not expected, unlike as it would be in the US where their employees in service industry are paid badly in comparison.
Sacramento, CA
1,214 Posts
Joined May 2003
So now we've pretty much cleared up the issue of to tip or not to tip in Australia.

I know New Zealand is a totally different country than Australia, but your customs are very similar, it seems, so does the same thing apply to tipping in New Zealand?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- sherita

Read my travel blog: scluvsrain.blogspot.com

1997-Statendam-Alaska
2003-Noordam-Baltic
2004-Amsterdam-South America
2004-Zuiderdam-Eastern Caribbean
2004-Amsterdam-Seattle-Vancouver
2005-Westerdam-Transatlantic Ft Lauderdale/Rome
2007-Statendam-Hong Kong to Osaka
2008-Prinsendam-Celtic Kingdoms Cruise
2009-Oosterdam-Med Kngdms-Venice/Turkey/Greece
2013-Volendam - Singapore-Thailand-Vietnam-HK
2013-Zuiderdam-Pacific Coastal
2013-Eurodam-East Coast/Canada
2014-Eurodam-Viking Passage
2015-Westerdam - Seattle to Alaska
2015-Veendam - Boston to San Diego
2016-Zaandam - South America/Antarctica
2016-Westerdam - Circle Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas
2016-Maasdam - Alaska - 14 day R/T Seattle
2017-Amsterdam - WORLD CRUISE!!!!!
2017-Prinsendam - North Cape Explorer
2017 - Tauck River Cruise - Budapest to Amsterdam

2018 - World Cruise segment - Auckland to Hong Kong
2018 - Prinsendam - 28 Day Rivers Holy Land and Ancient Kingdoms Explorer
2019- Prinsendam - Grand South America
Melbourne, Australia
10,641 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by Bpos
Back in your earlier posts you told our overseas visitors not to tip while in Australia (2005 - Post 15) yet in your recent posts of the last couple of days you advise that you tip when bags are delivered at the Hotel and whenever you go out to a restaurant for dinner.

"do not force your custom of tipping here in Australia" has a bit of a hollow ring to it to by my way of reckoning.

As I said earlier, this debate will outlast religion and I doubt that any of us will reach a consensus on the rights or wrongs or dos or don"ts on the subject of tipping either in Australia, overseas or on cruise ships.
There is no "hollow ring" to what I said way back in 2005. Twelve years have gone by and changes take place in every country. Yes, we do tip when we go out to dinner if the service has been good but that isn't to say that everyone else tips. Most of my friends do not tip, though these days as we have so many overseas visitors to our country, it is recognized that tipping is a sign of thanking someone for good service.
No-one in the service industry in Australia needs a tip to survive as they are all paid good wages so it is up to each individual whether they want to tip or not.
As far as giving a gold coin to the chap who brings up our bags to our room. We always stay in 5 star hotels and usually the person who brings up our luggage is a young man from overseas who is either backpacking or is doing a cadetship at the hotel. One gold coin, whether it is $1 or $2 is just a sign of saying thank you once again.

Jennie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Cruises:

Future Cruises:
Melbourne, Australia
10,641 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by scluvsrain
So now we've pretty much cleared up the issue of to tip or not to tip in Australia.

I know New Zealand is a totally different country than Australia, but your customs are very similar, it seems, so does the same thing apply to tipping in New Zealand?
Tipping in New Zealand is very similar to here in Australia. It is up to the individual whether you tip or not.

We were in Auckland only 4 weeks ago and we went to a winery for lunch. We didn't bother to tip. There was no running after us to say why didn't we tip etc. It is entirely up to the individual and it is not expected, just a nice surprise if you do happen to tip.

Jennie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Cruises:

Future Cruises:
16,910 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by scluvsrain

Please, respect our culture, do not tip in New Zealand.
Employees are not dependent on tips.
Sacramento, CA
1,214 Posts
Joined May 2003
Duly noted, thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- sherita

Read my travel blog: scluvsrain.blogspot.com

1997-Statendam-Alaska
2003-Noordam-Baltic
2004-Amsterdam-South America
2004-Zuiderdam-Eastern Caribbean
2004-Amsterdam-Seattle-Vancouver
2005-Westerdam-Transatlantic Ft Lauderdale/Rome
2007-Statendam-Hong Kong to Osaka
2008-Prinsendam-Celtic Kingdoms Cruise
2009-Oosterdam-Med Kngdms-Venice/Turkey/Greece
2013-Volendam - Singapore-Thailand-Vietnam-HK
2013-Zuiderdam-Pacific Coastal
2013-Eurodam-East Coast/Canada
2014-Eurodam-Viking Passage
2015-Westerdam - Seattle to Alaska
2015-Veendam - Boston to San Diego
2016-Zaandam - South America/Antarctica
2016-Westerdam - Circle Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas
2016-Maasdam - Alaska - 14 day R/T Seattle
2017-Amsterdam - WORLD CRUISE!!!!!
2017-Prinsendam - North Cape Explorer
2017 - Tauck River Cruise - Budapest to Amsterdam

2018 - World Cruise segment - Auckland to Hong Kong
2018 - Prinsendam - 28 Day Rivers Holy Land and Ancient Kingdoms Explorer
2019- Prinsendam - Grand South America
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
602 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
As far as giving a gold coin to the chap who brings up our bags to our room. We always stay in 5 star hotels and usually the person who brings up our luggage is a young man from overseas who is either backpacking or is doing a cadetship at the hotel. One gold coin, whether it is $1 or $2 is just a sign of saying thank you once again.

Jennie
Personally I think its incredibly patronising and demeaning to the recipient. 5 Star hotels pay award (and quite often above award) wages regardless of whether the staff are backpackers or hospitality professionals or trainees/cadets/apprentices.

A buck in Aus doesn't buy you a can of coke or even a daily newspaper.

You keep contradicting yourself from post to post.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed aboard - too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean)
Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Coming Up:

Hmmmmmmmmm
Melbourne, Australia
10,641 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by PerfectlyPerth
Personally I think its incredibly patronising and demeaning to the recipient. 5 Star hotels pay award (and quite often above award) wages regardless of whether the staff are backpackers or hospitality professionals or trainees/cadets/apprentices.

A buck in Aus doesn't buy you a can of coke or even a daily newspaper.

You keep contradicting yourself from post to post.
If you think it is patronising and demeaning to give a coin or coins to those who bring up your bags in a hotel, then your choice is to not give them anything or give them a note. We couldn't expect them bring up those bags without some form of appreciation and $1 per bag is the norm.

I object to you saying I am contradicting myself from post to post. This subject was started way back in 2005 and as I said earlier, times have changed and tipping in restaurants especially in Melbourne and Sydney is becoming more wide spread.

That is the end of my participation in this thread which has been going far too long. As one poster said this debate will go on forever and no-one will be happy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Cruises:

Future Cruises:
seattle
404 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Pacific Sandy
Hi - I'm just wondering.

How do Aussies feel about the required tipping on cruise ships? You know, the waiters & cabin stewards make practically nothing and it is the passengers who pay thier wages.

Sandra
We have always tipped our cabin stewards and butlers (, if in a Suite.) However, now that NCL is charging $17.00 (USD) per person per day for Daily Service Charge, I am less likely to add additional tip.
Last 2 cruises, the staff have been pretty lax in doing even the minimum. I have had to go to service cart in hallway and ask for clean towels at 4 in the afternoon.
It seems they are very friendly the last day of cruise and one room steward asked outright for his tip that day as he would be busy later.
We have received exceptional service in the past and tipped generously as to reinforce this great behavior.