Currency Exchange

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:47 PM.
South Bend, IN
318 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
What's the best way to handle money in port? I don't see us spending much and I think those type places have credit cards.

Where can I exchange cash for pesos?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bruce
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
North County San Diego
1,815 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
A true bank ATM is usually the best in my opinion - Banamex, Bancomer, Santander, Scotiabank, Banorte, ... Changing cash in some "casa de cambio" in a tourist area might give you a worse rate. Of course if your bank fees are high and your not getting many pesos the cambios may be better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
TBD

Previous
Brilliance of the Seas - Transatlantic - 4/2017
Jewel of the Seas - Transatlantic - 4/2016
Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean - 11/2015
Mariner of the Seas - Eastern Med/Turkey - 6/2011
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 4/2011
Mariner of the Seas - Western Mexico II - 4/2009
Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 12/2008
Navigator of the Seas - Atlantic Coast/Western Med - 7/2007
Vision of the Seas - Western Mexico - 4/2006
Jewel of the Seas - Baltic - 7/2005
Brilliance of the Seas - Med / Greek Islands - 7/2004
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean - 2/2003
Disney Magic - Eastern Caribbean - 2/2001
san fernando valley
5,736 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
When we are at restaurants in the tourist areas, we will often pay in US dollars. If we are buying a paleta or agua fresca from a small store or eating out of the tourist area, we will use pesos.

Last time I ate at a restaurant in Cabo, the difference was $0.50 more paying in dollars rather than pesos.

We have exchanged money at cambios. The rate is about 1-2 pesos off the official rate. You will need a passport to change money at a cambio. You can get money from ATM's, but check with bank/credit card to see what the service fee is.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Point Richmond CA
4,609 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Some local US banks have excellent exchange rates and very small, if any, transaction fees. If you're in Northern California, check out Mechanics Bank.
Buy enough to have enough pocket money to get to a port's similar bank ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
21,804 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Last month we paid 17:1 at dockside PV restaurant, official rate was 18.7:1. Walmart was giving par.
We use pesos at the smaller places, mercados, street vendors etc. We'll pay USD in the more touristy places.
FWIW $ is used for both Dollars and Pesos. You might see $Dllrs for USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Cumberland,PA, USA
26,913 Posts
Joined May 2000
First off, you are wrong regarding credit cards. Many Mexican shops and quite a few restaurants accept Visa/MC. So if you have a Visa or MC with zero (or low) foreign exchange fees...its a good option. Otherwise, US Dollars are normally accepted in the Mexican ports...although you will often get screwed on the exchange rate. The best way to get Pesos is to simply use ATMs.

Hank
denver
562 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
I always get about $500 US in Pesos at the Wells Fargo before we leave. I don't like spending any kind of time looking for where to exchange. You lose about 1 - 1.50 on the exchange rate but I'm ok with that and can pay for a cab when we get these in pesos. Your home bank may offer an exchange, check it out.

I have saved a lot by using pesos even when asking to be charged in pesos on the credit card. One place in Cabo at the marina said the tab in US was about $37 but when I got them to charge my card in pesos, it was about $25. At some places there is a huge difference and you can save a lot by having the pesos or a credit card if you trust the place not to skim you!