Nassau - what to do: walking distance, best beach, local tours etc?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:49 PM.
Harrisburg, PA
1,452 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by missdenise
We did the Tru Bahamian Food Tour last time in Nassau and absolutely loved it. Now, I am a foodie of course but it was really a nice way to enjoy some Bahamian Food. There is some walking involved but you get a break every time you are somewhere to eat. https://www.trubahamianfoodtours.com/
This looks like it would be fun. I just booked it for our Escape sailing! Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

109 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by Vacationdreamer<><
We took our six kids there when we stopped at Nassau in 2014. They were 13, 11, 9, 8, 3, & 1 at the time. Except for one dark room that startled my 3 year old they enjoyed the museum visit. My husband and I also liked it a great deal. Being the Mom I had been a bit worried they'd glamorize pirates at the museum, but that was not the case. It was history-oriented and rather well appointed. Our tour guide was decked out in costume. It was a comfortable walk from the ship for our brood. We also stopped at Junkanoo beach. We had not planned to and had no swim gear, but the water was so gorgeous we let the kids splash around and swim clothed. The walk back gave them time to dry out.

Junkanoo is on the top of my list for January's stop.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
What was the cost of the museum? We are taking the kids in November and planning on doing Junkanoo for sure but museum sounds fun too
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Past Cruises:
Carnival Triumph- 5 day, July 30, 2012
Carnival Conquest- 7 day, July 22, 2007
Western, NY
587 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by cruisewithwife
What was the cost of the museum? We are taking the kids in November and planning on doing Junkanoo for sure but museum sounds fun too

Website says $13/adult & $6.50/kid.
Not cheap, but it was a good fit for what we were looking for. We were on DCL Magic and we were only looking for the kind of outing that would only use up a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ME, DH, Six awesome kids (4 - 16)
MSC - Seaside - 1/2018
NCL - Getaway - 5/2016
Princess - Caribbean - 11/2014
DCL - Magic - 5/2014
DCL - Wonder - 9/2001
135 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Any other thoughts about walking around solo? I'm cruising solo, but would prefer to do my own thing. Sounds like the tours are very brief stops at lots of places. I like the idea of the walking tour at my own pace.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fledgling Cruise Addict!

Upcoming
Sept 28 - Carnival Liberty
Dec 31 - Liberty of the Seas
May 25 - Celebrity Millennium

Past
Jan 15 - Freedom of the Seas2016
Jan 6 - Disney Dream

Jan - Liberty of the Seas
Miami,FL
87 Posts
Joined Jul 2011

We just got back from Nassau and took this independent walking tour. We chose certain spots...It was about a 2-3 hr walk . Started by walking to the Queens Staircase and Fort Fincastle. Then walked west on Duke St saw the Government House towards Graycliff where there are the cigars and chocolates. We then took the tour at John Watlings Distillary-nice stop for a little history and cool drink. Then we walked back onto Bay St. towards the ship and walked through straw market - which was a little overwhelming for us. Our last stop was at Pirate Republic Brewery for a taste of beer and some good food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums