Edinburgh Royal Mile in August

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
British Isles/Western Europe
Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:56 AM.
Oakville, Ontario
1,121 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
The Fringe Festival officially begins on August 4 this year and I have heard that the Royal Mile is closed to vehicle traffic during the Festival.

We are arriving in South Queensferry on the Caribbean Princess on August 2, just prior to the Festival. Can anyone tell me if we will be able to get a taxi all the way to the Castle on that day?

Also, will there be taxis that can accommodate 6 passengers available at the pier in South Queensferry or should be pre-book a vehicle through a local service?

Thanks!
Bonnie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coral Princess - Panama Canal, November 2004
HAL Zaandam - Hawaii, January 2007
HAL Noordam - Southern Caribbean, November 2007
HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, March 2008
HAL Statendam - Alaska, August 2008
HAL Zuiderdam - Mediterranean, September 2008
Norwegian Spirit - Western Caribbean, January 2009
HAL Westerdam - Caribbean, March 2009
HAL Eurodam - Canada/New England, September 2009
HAL Noordam - Caribbean, February 2010
Star Princess - South America, February 2011
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean, April 2011
Norwegian Pearl - Caribbean, February 2013
HAL Zuiderdam - Alaska, August 2014

Scotland
280 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I would recommend pre booking a service. Certainly in the hour or more prior to the first tattoo the road up to the castle is more or less full of people, I don't know how close to the castle a taxi can get but as there will be people in wheelchairs attending I would guess there must be some provision. I would contact the tattoo office and ask their advice if you have people in your party who have special needs. You can get a vehicle pass for people with disabled tickets I believe which will get your taxi through. See their website for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Memories only :

Oosterdam Australia & NZ Nov 2013; Thomson Celebration Eastern Med May 2013 ; Veendam South America 2012 ; Ryndam Norway 2012 ; Norwegian Epic Med 2012 ; Adonia Eastern Med 2011 ; Braemar Iceland 2009 ; QEII France 2007 ; Caronia Baltic 2006 ; Black Prince Britain France & Spain 2003 ; Royal Clipper Caribbean 2002 ; Kong Harold Hurtigruten 2001 ; Marco Polo Antarctic 1997 ; Black Prince 1996 ; Sea Princess Alaska 1995
Bedfordshire UK
157 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Vehicles that are transporting disabled people to the Tattoo need to apply for an access part prior to the performance, and these are unavailable on Saturdays.

https://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets/accessibility/

An ordinary taxi will not be able to get close to the castle at all, when the Tattoo is on. The Fringe starts at the dates as the Tattoo but earlier in the day.
This image will give you an idea of what access to the Esplanade is like.
https://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets...g-arrangements
You are there a couple of days before the start dates, but with the increase in security for any event after recent events, what access will be like at the time who knows?
Oakville, Ontario
1,121 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Thank you for the response.

We are not attending the Tattoo since we will be there only for the day on August 2. We have already arranged for the mobility vehicle at the Castle, but not being able to take a taxi up at least as far as the Esplanade would pose a serious problem for one mobility-impaired member of our group.

Bonnie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coral Princess - Panama Canal, November 2004
HAL Zaandam - Hawaii, January 2007
HAL Noordam - Southern Caribbean, November 2007
HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, March 2008
HAL Statendam - Alaska, August 2008
HAL Zuiderdam - Mediterranean, September 2008
Norwegian Spirit - Western Caribbean, January 2009
HAL Westerdam - Caribbean, March 2009
HAL Eurodam - Canada/New England, September 2009
HAL Noordam - Caribbean, February 2010
Star Princess - South America, February 2011
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean, April 2011
Norwegian Pearl - Caribbean, February 2013
HAL Zuiderdam - Alaska, August 2014

Scotland
280 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I think earlier in the day we'll before the tattoo a taxi would be able to take people up to near the castle gates, local taxi and tour companies would know, but as a previous person has mentioned, in the present situation things may change about vehicle access to the Royal mile. I would guess that access as far as the Hub at least would have to be kept open but who knows really. I would really recommend booking a tour or taxi service for people with special needs, the crowds in the old town particularly the Royal Mile can be quite difficult combined with cobbles and narrow pavements. There are even more tourists this year, presumably due to the low pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Memories only :

Oosterdam Australia & NZ Nov 2013; Thomson Celebration Eastern Med May 2013 ; Veendam South America 2012 ; Ryndam Norway 2012 ; Norwegian Epic Med 2012 ; Adonia Eastern Med 2011 ; Braemar Iceland 2009 ; QEII France 2007 ; Caronia Baltic 2006 ; Black Prince Britain France & Spain 2003 ; Royal Clipper Caribbean 2002 ; Kong Harold Hurtigruten 2001 ; Marco Polo Antarctic 1997 ; Black Prince 1996 ; Sea Princess Alaska 1995
Edinburgh
2,988 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
During the day, certainly in previous years transport has been allowed up as far as the junction of Castlehill and Johnstone Terrace which is over 100 yards from the castle. The whole of the Esplanade is taken up with the seating for the Tattoo. There is a page on the Edinburgh Castle website for disabled visitors and this explains how to get around. It is of course a very old building and not designed in the days when accessibility was a priority! You will also find queues at every part of the castle.

https://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/visit/access-for-all

The area between North Bridge and George IV Bridge along the Royal Mile is also pedestrianised during August and during the festival and Fringe the Royal Mile is exceptionally busy. Even for the most able bodied it can be hard to make your way through the crowds. This is where the majority of street entertainers perform and also where the various acts on the Fringe are promoting their show.

There are taxis for 6 available at SQ but I would strongly advise you book in advance because there is huge demand. I have posted previously details of companies that accept pre-booking. There's www.ecph.cab or www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk. There's also a local company based on SQ I know - www.dalmenycars.com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Still to come:
P&O Britannia Baltic 4th June 2017 - Strictly Cruise

P&O Ventura Caribbean and USA 5th February 2018
P&O Aurora USA and Canada 16th September 2018

P&O Ventura Bermuda, USA and Caribbean 5th February 2019