Edinburgh-South Que tender to Castle?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
British Isles/Western Europe
Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:56 AM.
Nevada
60 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
We will be arriving at South Que, tendering from Caribbean Princess, what are our options to getting directly to the Castle with as little walking involved? Taxi, shuttle, bus, train? So many options, need to minimize walking.

B&B
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12,494 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Least amount of walking? Take a taxi from South Queensferry to Edinburgh.

The bus is slow and makes a lot of stops. Some people will say that's the way to go but you have to walk to/from the bus.

Not sure where the train stops in that area, but I think I read someone's post recently that it was very close to the tender dock. You might take a look at some of the other posts and maybe you'll see it. https://www.thetrainline.com/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - cruise #41 coming up!
Upcoming Cruises:
2017: 2 down, 2 to go: Pacific Princess & Regal Princess
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Star Princess, Royal Princess & Azamara Journey
1,783 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I commiserate with you about getting to the castle in the fewest steps.

We are with Holland America in S. Queensferry and have been there before. We took the shuttle ($15 now?) that was offered there, BUT it leaves you at the bottom of the STEEP hill up to the main part of Edinburgh. (look online at some videos about Edinburgh) (The train is no better and is not really an option from my memory for the S. Queen tender area...you're still at the bottom of that hill) IMO the only way to do it is with a taxi and it will be steep! (Possibly take the shuttle at S.Queen to town and then a taxi from where it leaves you off...best plan, I think.)
Since we've been in Edinburgh before a couple of times, we're thinking of hanging out in S. Queen (a delightful village) and taking the ferry to an island with old ruins on it, and just enjoying the day.
Try to find a taxi online that you can share with others perhaps. It IS a long way to the castle...and the Royal Mile is all uphill (or downhill from the castle) and is also a walk.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jan and Chris

http://www.quiltingjan.smugmug.com recent travel photos

Jan. 15, 2017 Zuiderdam Panama Canal 10 days***
July 10, 2016 AK cruise on Celebrity Infinity***
June 25, 2016 Family AK cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam 7 days***
Feb. 19, 2016 Oosterdam Caribbean 21 days***July 25, 2015 Voyage of the Vikings 35 days***Feb. 21, 2015 Veendam Panama Canal 14 days***Feb. 7, 2015 Westerdam Caribbean Gertrude Byrne Celtic Music Charter 7 days***Jan. 31, 2015 Westerdam Caribbean 7 days***Jan. 26, 2014 Ryndam Caribbean 21 days***Sept. 8, 2013 Viking Skadi 14 days River Cruise, Budapest to Amsterdam***March 30, 2013 Oosterdam NZ, AU, Pacific Island, HI to Seattle 37 days***April 27, 2012 Panama Canal Cruise, FL to San Diego on the Statendam 16 days (4* Mariners!!!!)***January 6, 2012 Veendam Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, including "drive by" of Antarctica (and side trip to Iguazu Falls) 18 days***May 13, 2011 Prinsendam Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam and Nordkapp 45 days***Aug. 19, 2010 Eurodam Amsterdam to NYC via North 18 days***Sept. 17, 2008 Zuiderdam Mediterranean 24 days***May 25, 2008 Volendam Alaska Southbound 7 days***May 16, 2008 Veendam Alaska Northbound 7 days***Aug. 3, 2005 Volendam Alaska Glacier Bay 7 days***Feb. 5, 2000 Ryndam Western Caribbean 7 days***Nov. 28, 1994 Maasdam Panama Canal 14 days***Feb. 2, 1994 Maasdam Western Caribbean 10 days***
12,494 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Our car service through Seven Sevens (aka Capital Cars) is only 33 GBP. I thought that wasn't too bad considering we're going from Rosyth to Edinburgh, which is farther out than South Queensferry. This is still your best choice for the least amount of walking.

If you take the train, as janmcn mentions, you still have a walk uphill to the castle. There are taxis at Waverley though so you could hire one to take you that last bit up to the castle, but depending on when you're going (I think they block off part of the Royal Mile during August Festival season), there's a limit as to how close you can get. You'd at least get up the majority of the hill.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - cruise #41 coming up!
Upcoming Cruises:
2017: 2 down, 2 to go: Pacific Princess & Regal Princess
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Star Princess, Royal Princess & Azamara Journey
Scotland
280 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I would recommend taking a pre booked car or taxi from South Queensferry, taxis at Waverley are no longer on the concourse and less accessible. If catching a taxi it is easier from Haymarket station where they are across the road and easily found. But to get a train is quite hard an uphill walk about a third of a mile, the public bus (now LRT buses 43) is a bit of a walk too about half a mile but not uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Memories only :

Oosterdam Australia & NZ Nov 2013; Thomson Celebration Eastern Med May 2013 ; Veendam South America 2012 ; Ryndam Norway 2012 ; Norwegian Epic Med 2012 ; Adonia Eastern Med 2011 ; Braemar Iceland 2009 ; QEII France 2007 ; Caronia Baltic 2006 ; Black Prince Britain France & Spain 2003 ; Royal Clipper Caribbean 2002 ; Kong Harold Hurtigruten 2001 ; Marco Polo Antarctic 1997 ; Black Prince 1996 ; Sea Princess Alaska 1995
191 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Shuttle to to Edinburgh central. Then Uber up the hill to Edinburgh central. We actually took the train, and then took an Uber up the hill.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CA
1,388 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
There are 4 of us arriving Aug 8 on Holland America Konnigsdam. Am I understanding that we can catch a shuttle and after leaving the shuttle we can either take a taxi or use uber to get us up the hill to the castle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Oakville, Ontario
1,121 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Not wanting to hijack the OP's post, but would like to know whether there will be sufficient taxis available at the pier or whether we should pre-book a pick-up.

Since there are 6 of us in our group, it is more cost-effective to take a taxi rather than the ship's shuttle, and one of our group has mobility issues, so the train and bus are not options.

Would also be interested in know whether there are likely to be 6-passenger taxis available.

Appreciate any information
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coral Princess - Panama Canal, November 2004
HAL Zaandam - Hawaii, January 2007
HAL Noordam - Southern Caribbean, November 2007
HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, March 2008
HAL Statendam - Alaska, August 2008
HAL Zuiderdam - Mediterranean, September 2008
Norwegian Spirit - Western Caribbean, January 2009
HAL Westerdam - Caribbean, March 2009
HAL Eurodam - Canada/New England, September 2009
HAL Noordam - Caribbean, February 2010
Star Princess - South America, February 2011
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean, April 2011
Norwegian Pearl - Caribbean, February 2013
HAL Zuiderdam - Alaska, August 2014

Edinburgh
2,988 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Buses aren't a viable option any more from SQ. Train involves a walk up a steep hill at SQ and again in Edinburgh and not suitable for anybody with mobility issues. Yes there is a hill up from Princes Street to the Castle but my friend who has breathing difficulties can manage it in easy stages. This is a thread I created previously which may help

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ttle+Edinburgh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Still to come:
P&O Britannia Baltic 4th June 2017 - Strictly Cruise

P&O Ventura Caribbean and USA 5th February 2018
P&O Aurora USA and Canada 16th September 2018

P&O Ventura Bermuda, USA and Caribbean 5th February 2019
Scotland
280 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by tartanexile81
Buses aren't a viable option any more from SQ. Train involves a walk up a steep hill at SQ and again in Edinburgh and not suitable for anybody with mobility issues. Yes there is a hill up from Princes Street to the Castle but my friend who has breathing difficulties can manage it in easy stages. This is a thread I created previously which may help

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ttle+Edinburgh

Lothian buses are running the 43 as before on the same route to St Andrew Square every half hour from around 5am to after midnight, the last service being after midnight. Passengers at South Q will have an easy half mile walk from the pier at Hawes Inn to the stop in the centre of the village. Details at
https://lothianbuses.co.uk/timetable.../timetables/43. There is also the X43.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Memories only :

Oosterdam Australia & NZ Nov 2013; Thomson Celebration Eastern Med May 2013 ; Veendam South America 2012 ; Ryndam Norway 2012 ; Norwegian Epic Med 2012 ; Adonia Eastern Med 2011 ; Braemar Iceland 2009 ; QEII France 2007 ; Caronia Baltic 2006 ; Black Prince Britain France & Spain 2003 ; Royal Clipper Caribbean 2002 ; Kong Harold Hurtigruten 2001 ; Marco Polo Antarctic 1997 ; Black Prince 1996 ; Sea Princess Alaska 1995