Prince William Sound glacier "day" cruises

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:51 PM.
8 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
I am visiting Anchorage Alaska the second week in July and staying a with a relative. I would like to take one of the Prince William sound day cruises during the week .... which one? should I book it in advance? Should I take the train from Anchorage to Whittier instead of driving? I will have a rental car but the train trip looks nice and I heard you have to time going thru a tunnel.
Any comments or advice about the Prince William Sound glacier day cruises would be appreciated !
Redmond WA
8,499 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
I would rent a car in order to enjoy other sights/activities along the Turnagain Arm. However if your relative is going to take you sightseeing, the train would be a nice option.

In the link posted by akstafford, there's a virtual drive you may find interesting.

I've taken a few day cruises out of Seward, but not from Whittier. From my research, i'd choose Major Marine ovef Philips 26 Glacier.......i dont want to rush past 26 glaciers; I prefer a leisurely pace whers we are able to stop and enjoy wildlife or wait for a glacier to calve. And i'd choose the Blackstone tour ....covers more territory so more chances to spot wildlife.
There is a recent trip report that includes a PWS cruise.
And you can find others by using the SEARCH tool. Do searches with the words 'blackstone' then 'surprise'.
Syracuse, New York
50,125 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by mapleleaves
I would rent a car in order to enjoy other sights/activities along the Turnagain Arm. However if your relative is going to take you sightseeing, the train would be a nice option.

In the link posted by akstafford, there's a virtual drive you may find interesting.

I've taken a few day cruises out of Seward, but not from Whittier. From my research, i'd choose Major Marine ovef Philips 26 Glacier.......i dont want to rush past 26 glaciers; I prefer a leisurely pace whers we are able to stop and enjoy wildlife or wait for a glacier to calve. And i'd choose the Blackstone tour ....covers more territory so more chances to spot wildlife.
There is a recent trip report that includes a PWS cruise.
And you can find others by using the SEARCH tool. Do searches with the words 'blackstone' then 'surprise'.
Take a look at a map- the Blackstone routes cover the LEAST "territory", with Surprise Glacier going through a consistent sea otter area, plus the scenic sailing of Ester Passage. Overall, I've never seen a lot of wildlife on these tours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]