Is Cruising to Cuba Really Worth the Extra Costs?

lovelights

That's a good point. Current admin can rollback changes and make Cuba effectively off-limits again for American tourists.

In that case what happens with cruises that you paid a big premium to visit Cuba?

I know some people "lucked out" paying for a Bahamas cruise that got switched to Cuba, but what happens if Cuba gets switched to the Bahamas? Many of these 4 day Cuba cruises are significantly more expensive than a Bahamas cruise; on par with many 7 day cruise costs. Will the cruise line just say well, that's the way the cookie crumbles? Can you cancel before final payment without penalty?[/quote

Don't see how a Bahamas cruise can be diverted to Cuba since special paper work has to be completed BEFORE you set sail!

Please re-read, not sure how you got that from what I said. I said a Cuba cruise could be diverted to Bahamas, not other way around.

Please re-read, not sure how you got that from what I said. I said a Cuba cruise could be diverted to Bahamas, not other way around.

I saw some cruises this spring that were changed from other stops in the Carib. to a few ports in Cuba. This was done a month or two in advance so all the papers could be put in place. Guess it was not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

VidaNaPrida,

Several folks I know who have recently returned from a very expensive land tour and others from a cruise have become ill from either the water or food.

Some suggest bringing water from the ship, cause bottled water is not easily found.

Comments are welcome .

A

VidaNaPrida,

Some suggest bringing water from the ship, cause bottled water is not easily found.

Comments are welcome .

A

Admittedly my guide book is relatively old, but bottled water was suggested. It also advised not to drink water locally without boiling the same or using water purification tablets.

VidaNaPrida,

Several folks I know who have recently returned from a very expensive land tour and others from a cruise have become ill from either the water or food.

Well, you may have noticed from previous posts that I have a strong stomach for annoying little bugs.

I've never gotten sick from food or water, in Cuba or wherever. I am accustomed, however, to eating local food In whatever country I find myself, on or off the tourist path. (I don't think food contamination is a problem exclusive to developing countries, though.)

YMMV

I haven't had a problem finding bottled water in Cuba, in bottles of sizes including personal to 2 liter to larger for refills. There are lots of tiendas (little stores) dotted across the landscape. They aren't likely to have a big neon 7/11 sign out front, so perhaps those who require more hand holding, or are hustled directly onto a bus, would consider that "not easily found". It may also help to be able to ask locals where to find such a store as you stroll; maybe even write down a few key phrases to show people. You can also buy an extra bottle or two from wherever you choose to eat. As in many other places, check that bottle caps have the original seal.

• 1 month later...

I think Jes1941 answered my question, but what is the necessary insurance and is it included in all cruise fares? We booked about a month ago for a Cuba cruise next spring, and I did not think the price unreasonable at all. It is just over $500 per person for the five day. While I might like to go on a larger and more luxurious ship, I'm happy to be able to go to Cuba at all, and I do not have unreasonable expectations for the Empress.

I think Jes1941 answered my question, but what is the necessary insurance and is it included in all cruise fares?

It includes the basic medical care that the Cuban government requires for tourists, basic emergency services in their medical clinics and hospitals, so the Cuban government/people do not end up paying for your care if you run into a problem while on the island.

It does not include medivac, so if that concerns you, buy it with your travel insurance package.

Just returned from Cuba. Booked this cruise (approx. $1900 for an oceanview mid-ship cabin) 3 months prior to the sailing. Yes, agree that it was a bit costly for a 5 nighter but wanted to see Cuba now before any real changes and wanted an overnight there. On the first day in Havana we were off the ship by 2:00 and took a private 4 1/2 hour tour. The following day we used the same tour guide and was with him from 10 - 4. On Day 1 handed him a sheet with the places we wanted to visit and asked him to add in anything else he felt would be of interest. Our guide spoke excellent English and was excellent.

Yes, Empress of the Seas is a smaller, older ship. The cabins are on the small side, there is one main restaurant, one specialty restaurant and then the buffet. The swimming pool is the size of my bedroom! But there are so many positives. The service is excellent...they can't do enough for you. The food is the best I've had on any other line. They still have shrimp cocktail available almost every night. There is a lobster night (other nights lobster is available at a surcharge). The onion soup, also available almost every night, is delicious. Even had cherries jubilee for dessert. If you have small children you will be happy to know there was a lifeguard on duty at the pool....have never seen this on NCL, Celebrity or Princess. They also have life vests available for the children. Entertainment was also very good. This was our first RC cruise and it certainly won't be our last.

As for Cuba, well................. The trip was both educational and interesting and the Cuban people friendly and welcoming. By going now we got to see the real "Cuba" before changes really happen. It was like stepping back in time with all the old cars and like being in a war zone with all the old crumbling buildings. Lots of poverty. Need to use a bathroom??? Bring your own toilet paper and be prepared for toilet bowls without seats.

Glad we went. Glad we cruised versus going on a land trip. Was able to return to a nice air-conditioned ship, sit down to a nice dinner and be grateful for all that we have.

Let me add to my prior post by saying that we brought a bag of over the counter meds and a dozen baseballs with us on this trip. Gave the meds to our private tour guide and he was VERY grateful. These things are difficult to come by. Gave the baseballs out as we toured and saw kids playing on the street.

In addition to paying our guide the prearranged amount we made sure to give a generous tip. We know he was appreciative. I collect magnets from all of our travels and asked him to take us to the market so I could see if there were any of the old classic cars. As soon as we got there he left us for a short time and when he found us handed me a small bag. He had purchased 2 classic car magnets for me.

There have been people who have posted here on CC that they were booked on a Bahamas cruise, only to get notified that it was now changed to a Cuba cruise. Some were very happy Others were EXTREMELY unhappy and posted same.

... we brought a bag of over the counter meds and a dozen baseballs with us on this trip.

Please do not randomly gift. Once you make friends with Cubans, as anywhere else, it is more appropriate.

This is an excerpt from a Havana Times article written by a Cuban, about receiving a "gift" from foreign visitors:

"How did I feel, standing before the warm and sincere faces of those women who, inadvertently, gave me a cold shower in my own under development, stripping me of the little dignity I had left that morning? Why did this woman think that she should give me a bar of soap?

I think it started in the ‘90s, during the Special Period crisis, when everything was desperately welcomed: from a tube of toothpaste to a pair of shoes.

With the official end of that period, we should have left behind any reliance on what some foreigner might give us.

Likewise,they should have stopped looking at us like the starving poor who barely survive on their salaries and have to sacrifice to buy a bar of soap."

Just returned from Cuba. Booked this cruise (approx. $1900 for an oceanview mid-ship cabin) 3 months prior to the sailing. Yes, agree that it was a bit costly for a 5 nighter but wanted to see Cuba now before any real changes and wanted an overnight there. On the first day in Havana we were off the ship by 2:00 and took a private 4 1/2 hour tour. The following day we used the same tour guide and was with him from 10 - 4. On Day 1 handed him a sheet with the places we wanted to visit and asked him to add in anything else he felt would be of interest. Our guide spoke excellent English and was excellent.

Yes, Empress of the Seas is a smaller, older ship. The cabins are on the small side, there is one main restaurant, one specialty restaurant and then the buffet. The swimming pool is the size of my bedroom! But there are so many positives. The service is excellent...they can't do enough for you. The food is the best I've had on any other line. They still have shrimp cocktail available almost every night. There is a lobster night (other nights lobster is available at a surcharge). The onion soup, also available almost every night, is delicious. Even had cherries jubilee for dessert. If you have small children you will be happy to know there was a lifeguard on duty at the pool....have never seen this on NCL, Celebrity or Princess. They also have life vests available for the children. Entertainment was also very good. This was our first RC cruise and it certainly won't be our last.

As for Cuba, well................. The trip was both educational and interesting and the Cuban people friendly and welcoming. By going now we got to see the real "Cuba" before changes really happen. It was like stepping back in time with all the old cars and like being in a war zone with all the old crumbling buildings. Lots of poverty. Need to use a bathroom??? Bring your own toilet paper and be prepared for toilet bowls without seats.

Glad we went. Glad we cruised versus going on a land trip. Was able to return to a nice air-conditioned ship, sit down to a nice dinner and be grateful for all that we have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also had the same experience cruising to Cuba on the Empress. Money well spent and it was worth the wait. With over thirty five cruises that was in the top three for us. Booked for next year, hopefully we can still travel to Cuba.00d545714c90665fff9c5ac729c4284f.jpg859d56e4af3edafece080a9bd791810d.jpg37f4581f1b95022373e6d2ed37f236b3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums