Warnemunde to Schwerin to Rostock

Our cruise arrives in Warnenmunde on a Sunday. We also would like to go to Schwerin Castle. As I see it, since this is the weekend, we can use the Lander ticket both ways, and that we have to change trains in Rostock. Further, we would need to get two tickets to city center in Rostock to get back and forth from the train station. Is this correct? And exactly which stops would we need to go to in Rostock and Schwerin? Also, will the shops be open on Sunday in Rostock, I know your earlier posts said they would be closed, but that was an old post. Thanks for any help.

Another request in reference to my earlier post. Are the tickets for the train time specific, or can they be used for anytime of the day. In other words, do we have to select our return time when we buy the first ticket? Thanks

Another request in reference to my earlier post. Are the tickets for the train time specific, or can they be used for anytime of the day. In other words, do we have to select our return time when we buy the first ticket? Thanks

See message #45. When I bought my ticket online, I had to pick a departure and return time. 27 Euro for 2 people return from Warnemunde to Schwerin Mitte.

Our cruise arrives in Warnenmunde on a Sunday. We also would like to go to Schwerin Castle. As I see it, since this is the weekend, we can use the Lander ticket both ways, and that we have to change trains in Rostock. Further, we would need to get two tickets to city center in Rostock to get back and forth from the train station. Is this correct? And exactly which stops would we need to go to in Rostock and Schwerin? Also, will the shops be open on Sunday in Rostock, I know your earlier posts said they would be closed, but that was an old post. Thanks for any help.

You take a train from Warnmunde to Rostock Hbf (I suppose it means central station). From Rostock Hbf, you and a different train to Schwerin Hbf or Schwerin Mitte. It is the same Rostock station when your arrive from Warnemunde and depart to Schwerin.

Hi, you have the tickets absolutely right. Make sure you get a Lander ticket, not the standard ticket or you will be restricted to nominated trains. Details of 'how to buy tickets on line' can be found on my web site.

The stop where you change in Rostock is Rostock Hbf (main station). In Schwerin you can get off at either Schwerin Hbf or Schwerin Mitte.

I would recommend the Hbf. The stop there is always longer with many people getting on and off, no danger of going past. It has elevators, ticket and enquiry office, a nice bakery/cafe, a Subway cafe and a small convenience store. The walk to the castle takes you along a lakeside and through the pedestrian areas of the historical old town, market place etc.

Mitte is simply two grubby platforms in a deep cutting, not a very good area. It has elevators but they are out of order more often than not. The walk to the castle is through the shopping centre car park and shopping streets.

I only use Mitte when I go shopping, never with visitors. It is not a very nice introduction to Schwerin.

Most shops in Germany are closed on Sunday. The only exceptions are shops in main rail stations, airports and seaside towns like Warnemuende.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 1 month later...
If the Schwerin castle is closed on Mondays, will many of the shops, cafes and restaurants also be closed on Mondays? Thank you.

The Palace Cafe will be closed, but according to the website the Orangery is open daily. There is a helpful website in English here:

http://www.schwerin.com/en/explore-schwerin/what-to-do-in-Schwerin/food-drinks-and-more/

You will find that most everything will be open on Mondays (unless it is an official holiday) so you don't need to worry about not being able to eat/shop. There was a caveat on this website that says that many smaller cafes do not accept credit cards, so be sure to check first if you plan on using one.

Hello Travelanni,

We just found out that our ship will dock in Rostock and not Warnemunde . Our original plan was To visit Rostock and on way back explore Warnemunde .

Now since we are docking in the Industrial Port of Rostock which would you suggest ? Rostock and Wismar or Rostock and Warnemunde ? :confused:

Thank you so much for your feedbacks and help to all of us !