Canadians (esp Southern Ontario) who have driven to Cape Liberty

leela14

(NOTE: I really do know that Ottawa is in Eastern Ontario, why I wrote Southern Ontario in the title I do not know lol. Just having a blonde moment lol. I would have corrected the title but I can't see how.)

Hey fellow Ontario cruisers,

We are planning on driving to Cape Liberty from Ottawa for our Anthem cruise and just wanted to get some feedback.

For anyone who has done the drive, would you recommend it as being a good way to go or should I start looking at airfare ASAP ;)

If it is indeed a good option to drive rather than fly, is there any particular route you would recommend or anything I should know about, or just plug it into Google Maps and have at it?

We are planning to arrive a day early and have already booked the park and cruise thing via Trinity. It's just my husband and I.

Love to hear your thoughts!

Edited by leela14

We are just outside of Toronto and drive to florida for our cruises! [emoji23] and we've driven to New Jersey several times...I would recommend driving. The drive from Toronto is easy...cross in Buffalo and take the I90 to Albany then #87 down to cape liberty. Is a 8.5 hr drive from Toronto and taking into account getting to the airport early for check in & customs clearance (from Pearson anyway) then the flight time and getting to your hotel, you can be there in basically the same time...AND if you are getting in a day early, you have your own vehicle to get around in ... just my 2cents

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the drive this past December and have done it a few times driving to the pier at Manhattan. To save on hotel cost and to shorten the drive on the first day, we stayed in Scranton (2 hrs from port) the night before or the previous times we stayed at Parsippany (1 hour from port).

You can usually find a hotel in the Scranton, PA area or Parsippany, NJ on the site that offers bidding/express deals for $60-$70/night. Add in the cost to park at the garage beside the cruise terminal, it usually works out to approximately the same price as if you were to book one of these Sleep, cruise and park deals.

We are from Montreal and we drive to NY and New Jersey to take cruises often. I think you should googlemap the directions. I think you can take the 30 and avoid Montreal, this is why I am saying to google it or go to CAA for directions. Anyway, once you get to the US you will take the 87 through Plattsburgh, then Albany and then onto NJ. You just need to watch for signs but you'll be fine. It takes about 6 hours from Montreal so I am assuming you should make it in 7.5 - 8 hours driving time. Honestly, when you factor in being at the airport 3 hours early and what a hassle it is once you are there, it is really worth it to drive!

We too are from Ottawa and are driving to Cape Liberty for our June 8th cruise on Anthem. We've driven to the Manhattan terminal twice. So obviously we recommend it. For us the pain and cost of getting to the airport, checking in early for international flight the getting to cruise port isn't worth it to save maybe a couple of hours of time.

We plan on leaving June 8th. at 3AM trying to get to port by 10:30-11:00 AM. Leaving at 3AM puts us in Syracuse at 6AM, and Binghamton at around 7:15AM and Scranton PA around 8:15AM.

Plus it may be much faster getting home after the cruise. With driving your on your way home home 5 minutes after you leave the terminal. If you have a late afternoon flight you could actually be home before your flight leaves.

Hi there - we are on the same cruise and in Ottawa. :D But we won't be up at 3:00 am - that's half the reason we wanted to drive, so we wouldn't have to get up in the middle of the night lol. But we are going in a day early and staying at a hotel we booked with Trinity Reservations and leaving the car there.

We too are from Ottawa and are driving to Cape Liberty for our June 8th cruise on Anthem. We've driven to the Manhattan terminal twice. So obviously we recommend it. For us the pain and cost of getting to the airport, checking in early for international flight the getting to cruise port isn't worth it to save maybe a couple of hours of time.

We plan on leaving June 8th. at 3AM trying to get to port by 10:30-11:00 AM. Leaving at 3AM puts us in Syracuse at 6AM, and Binghamton at around 7:15AM and Scranton PA around 8:15AM.

Hi there - we are on the same cruise and in Ottawa. :D But we won't be up at 3:00 am - that's half the reason we wanted to drive, so we wouldn't have to get up in the middle of the night lol. But we are going in a day early and staying at a hotel we booked with Trinity Reservations and leaving the car there.

Excellent choice! It makes nervous when folks leave themselves no wiggle room for travel interruptions. If you miss the ship, the first port from Cape Liberty is almost always at least two days away.

• 4 weeks later...

Done Toronto to Manhattan and NJ cruise terminals the past few years -- I vote driving but add a day for any unexpected turn of events.

Bonus is that you have a car to shuttle you around in case you need anything. Both parking lots are right beside the cruise terminal so it's super easy to check in and check out. Drive time 8.5 to 9 hours with 2 pit stops with the kids....

Note for Manhattan terminal -- check for any marathons (we go in March and there's always one).

With that being said, our next cruise in March 2018 leaves on a Friday so I am flying...but will miss my car (shuttle from airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to airport -- so many missed opportunity for my car)

For those who have stayed at a hotel and parked their car there for the duration of the cruise, which hotel do you recommend that has a safe and secure parking lot? Will be driving a new car there so want to be a bit cautious about the vehicle....

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

For those who have stayed at a hotel and parked their car ... which hotel do you recommend that has a safe and secure parking lot? Will be driving a new car there so want to be a bit cautious about the vehicle...
By definition, hotel parking or similar lots are at your own risk & the property has disclaimers about any liabilities for damages,dings & dents, etc. - that's what your comprehensive liability auto insurance are for ...

If you wish to be cautious, parking at CL is probably your best bets as everyone else will basically not be moving theirs for the duration of the cruise, and it is a secured lot with minimal vehicle movement while you are away. Rates at CL aren't all that expensive by metro NY standard.

Otherwise, IMO - apology in advance for my advice, the "safest" place to park that virtually new car with its shinny paint & waxed body is in your own indoor garage or covered driveway ... pigeons, however, somehow loved to "bomb" them anyway with droppings.

Fantastic answer! I didn't know what to say, so I said nothing. This question is very similar to the questions about making an early flight to which we answer "probably, but no guarantees". The same answer applies to the question of car safety.

If you're really paranoid about your car, you should pay to park in the garage at the port. While on a cruise I've parked multiple times in secured parking at airport hotels and at the port and haven't had any issues except a flat tire.

We are just outside of Toronto and drive to florida for our cruises! [emoji23] and we've driven to New Jersey several times...I would recommend driving. The drive from Toronto is easy...cross in Buffalo and take the I90 to Albany then #87 down to cape liberty. Is a 8.5 hr drive from Toronto and taking into account getting to the airport early for check in & customs clearance (from Pearson anyway) then the flight time and getting to your hotel, you can be there in basically the same time...AND if you are getting in a day early, you have your own vehicle to get around in ... just my 2cents

How long is your drive from Toronto to FL? What route do you take usually? Thanks for any info.

By definition, hotel parking or similar lots are at your own risk & the property has disclaimers about any liabilities for damages,dings & dents, etc. - that's what your comprehensive liability auto insurance are for ...

If you wish to be cautious, parking at CL is probably your best bets as everyone else will basically not be moving theirs for the duration of the cruise, and it is a secured lot with minimal vehicle movement while you are away. Rates at CL aren't all that expensive by metro NY standard.

Otherwise, IMO - apology in advance for my advice, the "safest" place to park that virtually new car with its shinny paint & waxed body is in your own indoor garage or covered driveway ... pigeons, however, somehow loved to "bomb" them anyway with droppings.

Thanks, will look into CL parking.

Fantastic answer! I didn't know what to say, so I said nothing. This question is very similar to the questions about making an early flight to which we answer "probably, but no guarantees". The same answer applies to the question of car safety.

If you're really paranoid about your car, you should pay to park in the garage at the port. While on a cruise I've parked multiple times in secured parking at airport hotels and at the port and haven't had any issues except a flat tire.

I understand there are no guarantees. Heck, there are no guarantees in life - even a cruise ship can sink! I just thought some folks might have stayed at different hotels and perhaps noticed a difference in the parking lot venues, hence my inquiry. Sounds like parking is a toss up either way so no need to worry about it.

I understand there are no guarantees. Heck, there are no guarantees in life - even a cruise ship can sink! I just thought some folks might have stayed at different hotels and perhaps noticed a difference in the parking lot venues, hence my inquiry. Sounds like parking is a toss up either way so no need to worry about it.

My most recent experience parking at EWR was at the Ramada using the Trinityreservations.com package with the round trip port shuttle. I was very happy. My first parking spot was OK, but I got up early in the morning and moved my car to a spot that was more visible from the manned security gate and carefully backed my car in so I would have better traction in case I came back to snow. Everything was just fine. I prefer leaving my car at the relatively isolated hotels on the north side of the airport that are not easily accessible to random foot or local car traffic. There is a prison near the Ramada and I feel the whole area has an enhanced level of scrutiny because of its presence. The Ramada is also the closest EWR hotel to Cape Liberty.