what to do in Grand Turk?

eyewannacruz4eva

It is such a beautiful island! We have been twice and it is by far one of our favorite places to visit. It is a very small, laid back island. The first time we took a cab to the "downtown" area and went through a small museum they had and then went to "The Sandbar" restaurant. It is a covered deck that has about 6 tables and is right on the beach. We hung out there for several hours. We had lunch and drinks and in between we would go out to the beach and hang out at the waters edge.

The last time we were there we reserved a golf cart and toured the island on our own. We went to the light house and enjoyed the views there and then ended up back at the Sandbar for lunch and drinks again. It is so relaxing to sit on their deck and just enjoy the breathtaking views and listen to the waves.

Jenny, I did a google search for "The Sandbar" restaurant in Grand Turk as my wife and I will be there in September. Unfortunately, it appears that in addition to the library which burned down in March, The Sandbar burned down in May.

Jenny, I did a google search for "The Sandbar" restaurant in Grand Turk as my wife and I will be there in September. Unfortunately, it appears that in addition to the library which burned down in March, The Sandbar burned down in May.

Yes, sadly The Sandbar burned down Mother's Day weekend. My husband and I were so sad when we read it, but I did read recently that they are trying to rebuild it so hopefully in the future we will be able to visit it again.

June 2017

Grand Turk - on our own. When the ship docks at Grand Turk one can see an old cargo ship, Mega One Triton, wrecked/beached/aground. We walked from the port, down the beach to Jack's Shack, then cut up to the main road and walked another block and a half to Governor's Beach where this shipwreck was. For us, that was about a 15 minute trek. Besides a gentleman raking the beach and we were the only people there. It was Wonderful quiet area. There was shade, some old picnic tables, buildings, an outdoor shower, but no food or beverages. It was fun to see the 'shipwreck' and explore the outside of the wreck.. (Yes, there are people who have climbed aboard and explored the ship and even jumped off it, but it was too "icky" for us.) It was a nice juxtaposition to snap a picture of the old wreck with the new Carnival Vista in the background. In addition, there is a terrific Bio Rock Reef that was teeming with thousands of tiny schools of fish, some beautiful blue colored fish and a small barracuda. It was just perfect. An excursion of horse riders also stopped nearby and took the horses into the water. On our walk back to the ship, a small herd of 6 horses clopped alongside the roadway all on their own. Later on, we took our picture by the "Grand Turk" sign down on the beach.

June 2017

Grand Turk - on our own. When the ship docks at Grand Turk one can see an old cargo ship, Mega One Triton, wrecked/beached/aground. We walked from the port, down the beach to Jack's Shack, then cut up to the main road and walked another block and a half to Governor's Beach where this shipwreck was. For us, that was about a 15 minute trek. Besides a gentleman raking the beach and we were the only people there. It was Wonderful quiet area. There was shade, some old picnic tables, buildings, an outdoor shower, but no food or beverages. It was fun to see the 'shipwreck' and explore the outside of the wreck.. (Yes, there are people who have climbed aboard and explored the ship and even jumped off it, but it was too "icky" for us.) It was a nice juxtaposition to snap a picture of the old wreck with the new Carnival Vista in the background. In addition, there is a terrific Bio Rock Reef that was teeming with thousands of tiny schools of fish, some beautiful blue colored fish and a small barracuda. It was just perfect. An excursion of horse riders also stopped nearby and took the horses into the water. On our walk back to the ship, a small herd of 6 horses clopped alongside the roadway all on their own. Later on, we took our picture by the "Grand Turk" sign down on the beach.

6z1phc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Been to Grand Turk twice - the best one was spent at the beach snorkeling. From the cruise pier, hang a left. Stop at the equipment shack and get snorkel gear. Walk up the beach until you get to Jack's Shack. If I remember, you can get two chairs and an umbrella for $10. There's a pier just beyond Jack's Shack -- that's where the fish hang out. It's not the greatest snorkeling, but the water is crystal clear and a lot of fish hang out under the pier. Since you are not on an excursion, you can spend as much time as you want.

I thought I saw a video of some water sports available on the beach....can you rent jet ski's or ride a bananna boat?

The golf carts have 2 seats in the front and 2 facing the rear.. We had 7 adults so we rented two. If you have little kids you may be able to get all 5 in one cart.

Do you have to prebook the carts? We would like to do this but there are only the two of us and we'd like to find another couple to share.

Do you have to prebook the carts? We would like to do this but there are only the two of us and we'd like to find another couple to share.

2 of you can rent 1 golf cart. You don't need to go in with other people. There will be plenty of other people out on golf carts you'll see around the island. I highly recommend reserving one ahead of time. I know for our last cruise in June, all of the vendors were sold out over a month before out sailing. Maybe 2 months?