Silver Wind Northern Europe & British Isles (Norway) July 14-31

WesW

We board the Silver Wind Friday at the London Tower Bridge for a Norway port intensive voyage.

910155b25cfed5df9076a2ce2d319909.jpg

Am posting a few days early to frame (or Set the Table as my good Regent cruise critic friend Mr. Rumer says (from his near four decades ago cruise ship journalism days)this Silver Wind Norway adventure in SS cruise critic minds now versus once we start reporting while on board.

This Silver Wind itinerary is nearly the same as Silver's Spectre's Norwegian Wind thread a few weeks back, however we will visit Haugesund Norway (our first of 12 Norwegian ports) during the 17 day itinerary.

Silversea has titled this voyage a Northern Europe and British Isles cruise (tho we are only docking in Norwegian ports except our London embark/disembark ports (London Tower Bridge). So, we head first to Southern Norway; Haugesund, Flam (we will enjoy the Flam railway excursion)and Alesund. Pls enjoy a few pix that I took from the Norway coffee table book gifted to us by our Oslo friends back in 2004 when we visited them in the February and saw snow, snow, and more Norwegian snow)

f884880088230e8c2130c268b1a60824.jpg

The wind then sails for Northern Norway, "Artic Nights and Midday Sun." Our Northern Norway (northern Norway is known for the stunning Geiranger, Hardanger and Sogn fjords that give this part of Norway landscape it's unique character) ports; we (hopefully--weather permitting) will cruise the Trollfjorden), then head to, Svolvaer (Lofoton Islands), Tromso, Honningsvad ( Northcape), then we go cruise further north to Bodo (Paris of the North and home of the largest Sami community in the World), and Trondheim.

In Tromso we are taking the Silver Wind's active excursions for this port; Walk with Huskies (Ida), Ocean Kayaking (wes)

In Svolvaer we have a Rapid Inflatable boat safari (privately booked) to view to Lofoton islands. Pix of Lofoton islands below and taken from our Norway coffee table book:

ce0b6ee0cf48fee5b34b05f113b80715.jpg

The Last third of our Norway Silver Wind voyage has us cruising to Western Norway; Molde, we cruise the Nordfjord, then dock in Olden before sailing on to Bergen (renown as the "tidiest city in Europe." Capital of the Western Fjords and home of famed Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg) and Stavanger. A couple of snaps taken from our Norway book showing Bergen and the funicular ride up one of the Bergen's city mountains:

27ff861084634ac82aad26b10c77ef15.jpg

763ad053f39775bdf35e919850067e37.jpg

Fortunately am in contact the current Silver Wind Hotel Director (HD) (Daniel Ilias). Our plan like we have done in previous Silversea cruises is to profile some Silver Wind crew members who work behind the scenes (generally below pax decks) that indirectly contribute significantly to our Silversea cruise experience.

Aspire to profile members of the Silverwind laundry team, galley team, and provisions team.

HD Daniel was very gracious a month ago when I asked if he had time to recommend any must do Norway excursion from Silver Spectre's June Norwegian Wind voyage. Daniel let us know the Flam Railway and lunch was a must do and then linked me up with Clive (Wind Shore Excursion Manager) who sent me very detailed excursion spreadsheet with his top recommendations. Clive lived in Norway for years and worked the Lillehammer Olympics.

Thanks to Clive we changed at least a half dozen excursions to the excursions he recommended. Alas, in Haugesund the home and garden visit (first time offered by SS) he strongly recommended was sold out and not available for WL.

Ida and I are taking Silversea air for the first time in near a dozen cruises from ATL to London (Virgin Atlantic), London to Atlanta (Delta). Both nonstop and are part of the special BC deal SS offers for this voyage. Will report on how we enjoy (or not) Silversea air for our Norway Silver Wind journey.

Alas, we did not meet our minimum for a cc meet & mingle. However, we're hopeful we will meet a few cruise critics on board.

Ida and I can't wait to board the Silver Wind Friday , just seven months after we disembarked last December.

We look forward to sharing our Silversea Silver Wind Norway voyage with y'all.

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

Have an awesome voyage Wes & Ida. Norway will always have a soft spot in my family's heart.

I wanted to make sure you received my Norway excursion recos too. I've been non-stop busy since returning from Thailand and can't remember if I sent our favorites to you, or not.

Save Travels!

This is certainly one of the "must do" cruises. Not just the London part (which Im biased about!) - but the complete itinerary.

Very envious.

Have a great cruise and really am looking forward to your reports.

Look out the starboard side just after you've sailed under the Dartford Crossing bridge (approx 2 hours after departure).... and you may see someone waving and taking some closer video footage with the drone. If I know where you'll be (though I expect that'll be dinner!).... I will try to get some nice aerial footage of you waving from a good vantage point. (La Terrazza balcony could be a good choice!)

Safe journey to you both...

Look out the starboard side just after you've sailed under the Dartford Crossing bridge (approx 2 hours after departure).... and you may see someone waving and taking some closer video footage with the drone. If I know where you'll be (though I expect that'll be dinner!).... I will try to get some nice aerial footage of you waving from a good vantage point. (La Terrazza balcony could be a good choice!)
That would be fantastic! Maybe they could perform one of their dances for you.

That would be fantastic! Maybe they could perform one of their dances for you.

Haha... they'd have to clear the tables. :)

I tried to do the same in Portonevere (though it was stationary!) and capture companions onboard while I was piloting from the coast. Alas I was using an iphone and not my ipad for visuals and I couldn't see anyone - even though someone was waving. Have a look at my "walkthrough" video and you can just about see someone waving at the very start of the movie on the bottom right at the edge of the veranda. If Id spotted it at the time, I would have gone in very close.... maybe even land on the veranda! That would have been fun! (Plus avoid the seagull attack as I was coming in to land shortly after!)

Ha! I would freak out if I saw a drone coming at me on my veranda.

The reason they were there waving was because I said I would come in close and capture them in the film. Id not even spotted it until a week ago. I wouldnt normally go as close as that to be fair - but it was expected! The group went bank on the tender while I set up and flew over.

Txladycruiser, Spinnaker2, Mr. & Mrs. Silver, JPAlbny, Crystallake, Singinalot, Miss Sophia, Liptastic, Stumblehands, Les37b, RachelG, RosseauGirl;

Thank you so very much for your voyage well wishes. Ida and I board our Virgin Atlantic flight to London tomorrow early eve. First time ever (except for crossings that disembark @ Ft. Lauderdale, FL) we are flying in the day our cruise embarks.

Crystallake, pls see attachment for Clive (Silver Wind's Shore Excursion Mgr's excursion recommendations for our Wind itinerary--yours may be slightly different).

Nex.docx

Txladycruiser, Spinnaker2, Mr. & Mrs. Silver, JPAlbny, Crystallake, Singinalot, Miss Sophia, Liptastic, Stumblehands, Les37b, RachelG, RosseauGirl;

Thank you so very much for your voyage well wishes. Ida and I board our Virgin Atlantic flight to London tomorrow early eve. First time ever (except for crossings that disembark @ Ft. Lauderdale, FL) we are flying in the day our cruise embarks.

Crystallake, pls see attachment for Clive (Silver Wind's Shore Excursion Mgr's excursion recommendations for our Wind itinerary--yours may be slightly different).

Will be looking at your flights and hoping for a good crossing. Fingers crossed it makes good time. I flew in for the Muse on the day too and that worked just fine. Ive emailed you a couple of photos to show Albert who is leaving the Wind at the end of your cruise to be with his family. Wish him well for me in case I dont manage to see him on the 31st.

Will be setting off with the drone in about 2 hours. Had hoped to get them both up for an extravaganza but my co pilot is at school! lol

Stop Press...... I just had a reply from him... we will both be at dartford tomorrow for your sail away with 2 drones in the air.

Edited by les37b

Thanks Les and Rich (hope to plate a delish feast, however with new Silversea internet policy you may get a diet plate instead :))

Wanted to cut/paste Clive's excursions here in case Crystallake/others cannot open the attachment in post #18.

We are 98% (should say Ida has us) packed. We're using Uber for the first time to get/to from airport (coupled with AMX discounts with AMX-P card--good deal--saves some coin vs the car service we have regularly used). Will post how our Uber experience goes.

Toughest issue for both of us when departing on these fab cruises (that we are so blessed/fortunate to be able to take) is leaving our 2b's (pets/L/H mini dachsies). We do have a 24/7 pet sitter which helps tons in the peace of mind department.

Silver Wind Shore Excursion Manager excursion recommendations for our voyage:

14-Jul-2017

Fri

London (Tower Bridge)

15-Jul-2017

Sat

Day at Sea

16-Jul-2017

Sun

Haugesund - HAU-A Exclusive Home and Garden Visit (something unique - nothing like this offered in the other ports).

17-Jul-2017

Mon

Flåm - Railway is always a winner – Highly recommended. SOG-A Flåm Railway & Coffee Break at Vatnahalsen or full day option. SOG-D Flåm Railway & Lunch at Vatnahalsen

18-Jul-2017

Tue

Ålesund - Outstanding art neauvea architecture. ALE-B Art Nouveau City Walk

19-Jul-2017

Wed

Day at Sea

20-Jul-2017

Thu

Svolvaer - SVV-D The Lofoten Skerries by RIB (exposed to the elements - inevitably not for the faint hearted - no commentary on the rib, but an enjoyable adventure.

20-Jul-2017

Thu

Cruise Trollfjorden

21-Jul-2017

Fri

Tromsø - TOS-A Panoramic Tromsø

22-Jul-2017

Sat

Honningsvåg (Nordkapp) - North cap tour

22-Jul-2017

Sat

Cruising along North Cape

23-Jul-2017

Sun

Day at Sea

24-Jul-2017

Mon

Bodø - ODO-B Saltstraumen by Land and Sea

25-Jul-2017

Tue

Trondheim - TRD-D -Trondheim by boat and bus (Good combination)

26-Jul-2017

Wed

Molde - MOL-A Molde Highlights

27-Jul-2017

Thu

Olden - OLD-A Lake Loen & Kjenndal Glacier

27-Jul-2017

Thu

Cruise Nordfjord

28-Jul-2017

Fri

Bergen - Local market is always poppular - also the Venicular to the observation point. Home of greig is also interesting (recital)

29-Jul-2017

Sat

Stavanger - SVG-G Cruise to Lysefjord

30-Jul-2017

Sun

Day at Sea

31-Jul-2017

Mon

London (Tower Bridge)

Clives recommendation: Try salter liquorish, Pear Cider, Strawberries in Bergen, also local fish baches served at the market in Bergen

Thank you and Kind Regards,

CLIVE JELLICOE

Shore Concierge Manager, Silver Wind

Stumblehands;

Hey now! The hands work just fine. It's the feet that are the issue. ;)

You're pretty brave on flying across the pond on the same day as embarkation. I guess the good news is that if something goes awry with VS104, you could always switch to DL30 or DL32 since they are partners. Good Luck!

We're using Uber for the first time to get/to from airport (coupled with AMX discounts with AMX-P card--good deal--saves some coin vs the car service we have regularly used). Will post how our Uber experience goes.
Hey... since this will be your first Uber, ping me if you want a discount code for $20 off your first ride. It'll come right off the top of your fare, so it'll be like saving $20 on your AMEX credit.

Mr. Silver, yes we're now in touch with David and will see him tomorrow after we board. Thanks for heads up on his time on board--will check what Market visit we may have when I see him tomorrow pm

Brian, from your earlier? yes we most likely will do Bergen on our own thanks to the outstanding recommendation & content of the Stumbletoes blog. Thanks for the Uber discount will send u a FB messenger note.

Re: air today--this is what SS provided us--they have the responsibility to get us on board (hopefully in London :))

Thanks so much mysty--hoping we have many opportunities to enjoy fresh Norwegian seafood.