Plane into Venice (pre-cruise) and Train to Rome (Post-Cruise)

lifeasme123

I read another thread about allowing a lot of time when flying out of Venice Marco Polo airport. What about flying into the airport?

1. We land at 2:40PM. What is realistic time to get to hotel from airport?

2. I looked at Google map. I am confused. Is Venice an island? Looks like we have to take a water taxi from the airport to the island?

Any recommendation on which part of island to stay for one night before our cruise? I am trying to figure out if Venice is "walkable" from wherever the ferry drops us off and then from our hotel to the cruise port the next day.

3. Ship disembarks at 9:00AM. What time should I book my train ticket to Termini Station?

Thanks!

Venice is a collection of small islands connected by bridges. The main part looks like a small fish on a map, which is connected to the mainland by a main road which terminates at Piazzale Roma in Venice. I don't consider Venezia Maestre (which I consider to be a part of the Veneto area) Venice proper.

1. I'd say 45 minutes to go through customs and collect your baggage at VCE, then another 30 minutes on ATVO bus to Piazzale Roma (the only place where cars are allowed). Stay near Piazzale Roma. I can recommend Hotel Moresco, Hotel Antiche Figure, and the Papadapoli Hotel (in that order). Moresco's my favorite, for the service, and terrific happy hour.

2. The train station closest to the port in Venice is Venezia Santa Lucia. You can take the peoplemover from the port, and walk to the train station. From the port to the peoplemover (walking at a mild pace), 15 minutes. I would guess it's at most, a 10 minute walk from the peoplemover to the train station. So total, from ship to train station, maybe 30 minutes.

Venice is a collection of small islands connected by bridges. The main part looks like a small fish on a map, which is connected to the mainland by a main road which terminates at Piazzale Roma in Venice. I don't consider Venezia Maestre (which I consider to be a part of the Veneto area) Venice proper.

1. I'd say 45 minutes to go through customs and collect your baggage at VCE, then another 30 minutes on ATVO bus to Piazzale Roma (the only place where cars are allowed). Stay near Piazzale Roma. I can recommend Hotel Moresco, Hotel Antiche Figure, and the Papadapoli Hotel (in that order). Moresco's my favorite, for the service, and terrific happy hour.

2. The train station closest to the port in Venice is Venezia Santa Lucia. You can take the peoplemover from the port, and walk to the train station. From the port to the peoplemover (walking at a mild pace), 15 minutes. I would guess it's at most, a 10 minute walk from the peoplemover to the train station. So total, from ship to train station, maybe 30 minutes.

Awesome! Thanks for such detailed info!

I have done what lifeasme123 has said. Don't be scared of carrying your luggage over the bridge from plaza Roma to the train station as the steps are not like traditional stairs. Each step has a 6" rise and about a 24" platform. DW just watches me go up and over. I just stop and look down the canal when I need a breather.

I read another thread about allowing a lot of time when flying out of Venice Marco Polo airport. What about flying into the airport?

I looked at Google map. I am confused. Is Venice an island? Looks like we have to take a water taxi from the airport to the island?

Any recommendation on which part of island to stay for one night before our cruise? I am trying to figure out if Venice is "walkable" from wherever the ferry drops us off and then from our hotel to the cruise port the next day.

Thanks!

We are going to be in Venice in September. Yes, Venice is an island. To get there you have multiple options, including a water taxi which is more expensive. We are taking the ATVO bus that was mentioned earlier. It is 8 euros per person (although there is a site where you can pre-purchase tickets valid only one day, and if you are buying 2-9 tickets, you can get them for 7 euros.)

We did not want to hassle with our luggage getting to a hotel more centrally located in Venice so we are staying in the Papadopoli, also mentioned earlier. It is a 3 minute walk from Piazzale Roma (where you arrive from the airport) and we only have to cross one footbridge. It also makes it easier to get to the people mover when we head to the ship to leave.

My suggestion is use the Search option on this blog...and do a search for "Venice." You will get hundreds of hits...and you might want to read through the past few months of posts. There is a lot of info on Venice including the best ways to get into Venice, hotel options, using vaporettos (water buses), etc.

By the way, the warnings about the airport are more a concern for those flying OUT of Venice. Flying in is not usually a big problem.

Hank

Venice is super easy to fly into. Claim your luggage, and walk out! No customs! It's flying OUT of Venice that one can encounter long lines. Even then, it's far better than flying out of Rome!! [emoji32] I would estimate, you could reach your hotel realistically by maybe 4:30 or 5:00? It's hard to say.

You can take a regular land taxi to the start of the main Venice island; it'll stop at Piazzale Roma. From there, you can take a water bus through the canals depending on the location of your hotel. Alternatively, you can opt for an expensive water taxi directly from the airport to your hotel. We did our second trip the first way and our first trip the second way. If this is a special trip for you, do the water taxi. There are cheaper options, too, but these are the most convenient.

The time we took the water taxi, we stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky and loved it. Dropped off directly at the lobby, and we were able to take the Alilaguna directly to the port for 8 Euros pp. The hotel offers a free shuttle to/from San Marcos Square if you have time to explore.

The second trip (last month), we stayed at the Hotel Moresco. As the #1 hotel and now #2; it's very easy to get to by foot from Piazzale Roma and to the port the next day. You cross 2 bridges to get to the hotel and the same 2 back to reach the port. There's a People Mover tram from Piazzale Roma to the port for 1.5 Euros pp that we used, and it was great.

Have fun! Venizia is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Venice is super easy to fly into. Claim your luggage, and walk out! No customs! It's flying OUT of Venice that one can encounter long lines.

Lacking information- you most certainly have to go through Passport Control IF you are flying from the US. Less than 2 weeks ago, I was over 1.5 hours in that line.

Venice is an Island. From the airport its connected by road. you don't need to take a ferry to reach Venice city. If i know the exact location of your cruise boarding off. I can guide you the fastest and cheapest route to reach there.

Lacking information- you most certainly have to go through Passport Control IF you are flying from the US. Less than 2 weeks ago, I was over 1.5 hours in that line.

Budget Queen - you helped us a lot on our Alaska trip last summer, and then our cruise from NYC this past jan. Now you are on the Europe board as well. :)

Anyway, our layover is in Madrid. Will we need to go through Passport Control there? If yes, then will we need to go through it again in Venice?

Budget Queen - you helped us a lot on our Alaska trip last summer, and then our cruise from NYC this past jan. Now you are on the Europe board as well. :)

Anyway, our layover is in Madrid. Will we need to go through Passport Control there? If yes, then will we need to go through it again in Venice?

You should clear customs at your first port of entry which appears to be Madrid. Subsequent flights are in Schengen countries so you will not have to go through customs again.

Not only will you not have to go through Customs on arrival at Venice from Spain but you also will not have to go through Immigration.

Taking a water taxi from the airport to venice is expensive but my goodness it is a wonderful way to arrive in Venice.