Recommendation for tour company to Cinque Terre

tikcho

I am also wanting to do this but cannot seem to get any info from past cruiser if there's enough time and worth it. I have received 3 quotes all around 500 euro for 2-4 pax private car approx. 10 hour day...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think you need a tour in Cinque Terre. I would suggest a boat tour in the harbor and Angelo's Boats offers great tours. Other than that, just walk and enjoy. One thing I did learn from our boat guide is that sculpture coming out of the rock at the end of Monterroso is Neptune. 14687531.jpg

Yes I was thinking that also but the driver said with a private car approx 90 mins each way, and only two of us we should be able to see a majority of it and maybe stop in Pisa on our way back. I'm just trying to justify the cost....jeez nice to have these first world problems hey?

Yes I was thinking that also but the driver said with a private car approx 90 mins each way, and only two of us we should be able to see a majority of it and maybe stop in Pisa on our way back. I'm just trying to justify the cost....jeez nice to have these first world problems hey?

You will get there more quickly taking a train to La Spezia and then a transfer to Cinque Terre. The train part is easy. If you can get to the train station and have the time, it's a nice take. However, Cinque Terre is best left for itineraries that include La Spezia or even better going to Cinque Terre before or after your cruise. If you don't want to go to Florence from Livorno, they do have some nice beaches in Livorno.

I used joe banana limos a couple years back ( aka italytoursharing.com). It was my first time to cinque terre and I was very pleased with the driver. He parked and then walked us in and told us where to go. He bought our ferry tickets for us and showed us where to catch it.

This year I just stayed in monterosso for three days.mi just got home from a month in Italy. It was fabulous. I will return and stay in the cinque terre again! Well worth a tour in my opinion, gets your bearings.

This year I just stayed in monterosso for three days.mi just got home from a month in Italy. It was fabulous. I will return and stay in the cinque terre again! Well worth a tour in my opinion, gets your bearings.

Not to hijack this thread about day tours to the Cinque Terre, but would love any tips you can provide regarding your 3-day stay in Monterosso. We are staying at B&B Sole Mare along with DBiL/DSiL for the same amount of time before our October cruise out of Civi. Already have the Vernazza Opera reserved for 10/6 and have a copy of the train schedule printed. Restaurant recommendations, trail experiences, not-to-miss sights?

Grazie mille!

Not to hijack this thread about day tours to the Cinque Terre, but would love any tips you can provide regarding your 3-day stay in Monterosso. We are staying at B&B Sole Mare along with DBiL/DSiL for the same amount of time before our October cruise out of Civi. Already have the Vernazza Opera reserved for 10/6 and have a copy of the train schedule printed. Restaurant recommendations, trail experiences, not-to-miss sights?

Grazie mille!

Ristorante Mike (you can see a nice video of it on Rick Steven' site) is very good. It's in Monterroso though. Angleo's Boat Tours are great too. We spent two days and two nights after our cruise in Cinque Terre and chose Monterroso because of the beach and because of the waterfront. It was too hot for us for the hikes and that's why we did the boat tour.

By the way, we got there from a cruise ending in Civi and it was relatively easy with trains.

Ristorante Mike (you can see a nice video of it on Rick Steven' site) is very good. It's in Monterroso though. Angleo's Boat Tours are great too. We spent two days and two nights after our cruise in Cinque Terre and chose Monterroso because of the beach and because of the waterfront. It was too hot for us for the hikes and that's why we did the boat tour.

By the way, we got there from a cruise ending in Civi and it was relatively easy with trains.

Thanks for the info on Ristorante Mike and Angelo's boat tours. We are staying in Monterosso- taking the train there from the Milan airport changing to the IC665 at Milano Centrale, and departing on the train to Civi via La Spezia. Hopefully the weather will be cool enough for taking a few hikes. I do have a copy of Rick's mini-guide to the Cinque Terre, which is helpful.

I am also wanting to do this but cannot seem to get any info from past cruiser if there's enough time and worth it. I have received 3 quotes all around 500 euro for 2-4 pax private car approx. 10 hour day...

Assume your cruise docks in Livorno from your comments. We did a private tour back in May 2105 from Livorno, we used http://www.tuscanytastetours.com, we were a party of 8 people off our CC roll call. The minivan picked us up at 8.00am from the quayside in Livorno and we arrived in Manarola by 9.15am. We spent a couple of hours wandering around Manorola then caught the train to Vernazza where we had lunch. Later we again caught the train to Monterosso, we met our minibus driver at 4.00pm in Monterosso and returned back to the ship arriving about 5.15pm.

Great day, very crowded, ferries weren't operating between the villages due a sight sea swell so only had the train to get from village to village.

Next time I would probably get taxi to Porto Venere then ferry to Monterosso (which operate even when the sea is slightly rougher) then train back to Manarola, later taxi from Manarola back to the ship. Don't try to do too much, better to enjoy a few places rather than rushing everywhere.

Thanks for the info on Ristorante Mike and Angelo's boat tours. We are staying in Monterosso- taking the train there from the Milan airport changing to the IC665 at Milano Centrale, and departing on the train to Civi via La Spezia. Hopefully the weather will be cool enough for taking a few hikes. I do have a copy of Rick's mini-guide to the Cinque Terre, which is helpful.

Getting to Cinque Terre isn't easy, but it's worth it. We pre-purchase our train tickets from Civi to La Spezia. First Class was only 25 euros and well worth it. Plenty of room to store luggage by your seats. The transfer to Monterroso took about 22 minutes. Just pay attention to stops. We would have had a great time no matter what we did. Other than the boat tour, we had nothing planned and played it by ear. Since it was hot, we did the beach instead of hiking. Our hotel was near Miky's. The family also owns Miky's Cantina which is right nearby.

Grazie mille!

Well I absolutely loved it!! The hiking is so beautiful! I would actually have no problem staying 4-7 days as I didn't get to hike as much as I wanted. I would also do ferry day trips from there. The train from la spezia is 4 euro and takes about 15-20 minutes. Be sure to take the ferry from village to village for the best photo ops. I really liked the placement staying in monterosso. Plus the fact it has a full beach for swimming but if ur going in October honestly all the villages are great! I stayed at a b&b which I lived called manuels guest house. A bit pricey but the views are to die for. Just make sure going up steps is not an issue if u stay there. I had my best pasta dish in monterosso. Sorry can't remember the restaurant but it was right on the sea beside a small cafe/bar.

Assume your cruise docks in Livorno from your comments. We did a private tour back in May 2105 from Livorno, we used http://www.tuscanytastetours.com, we were a party of 8 people off our CC roll call. The minivan picked us up at 8.00am from the quayside in Livorno and we arrived in Manarola by 9.15am. We spent a couple of hours wandering around Manorola then caught the train to Vernazza where we had lunch. Later we again caught the train to Monterosso, we met our minibus driver at 4.00pm in Monterosso and returned back to the ship arriving about 5.15pm.

Great day, very crowded, ferries weren't operating between the villages due a sight sea swell so only had the train to get from village to village.

Next time I would probably get taxi to Porto Venere then ferry to Monterosso (which operate even when the sea is slightly rougher) then train back to Manarola, later taxi from Manarola back to the ship. Don't try to do too much, better to enjoy a few places rather than rushing everywhere.

I cannot thank you enough mickey89 for the information!! This is exactly what I've been trying to find! You just made the decision for me, very excited. Many thanks. Robyn

• 1 month later...
I cannot thank you enough mickey89 for the information!! This is exactly what I've been trying to find! You just made the decision for me, very excited. Many thanks. Robyn

I was just there a few weeks ago. I booked a Viator trip from Florence which used City Wonders. If I were to go again, I'd take the train from La Spezia to Montorosso and return back by boat, stopping at Varnazza, RioMaggiore, and Portovenere. Bring your camera, swim suits, and appetite!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...

We have extra days in Genoa prior to our cruise and are considering following Rick Steves’s Cinque Terre plan on his PBS/web video. If you are familiar with it, would love to hear your thoughts. We are very fit so that aspect is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums