How many pool side cabanas?

mikesteg

I have read reviews that talk about cabanas #11, #10, etc. However, looking at Google maps, I only see 4 buildings that appear to be cabanas, between the main building and the water slides.

My concern is that we'd somehow wind up with a poolside cabana where we can't really see the pool, meaning we couldn't keep an eye on the kids, making the cabana 50% useless.

I see what looks like 4 hillside, 4 poolside, and 6 ocean cabanas. I suspect they just number them consecutively to avoid confusion, but would like someone who knows to confirm that poolside is truly poolside.

I do realize that the cabanas are raised, so I couldn't just run straight to the pool should one of the kids get into trouble. They are good swimmers, but there are usually too many other kids/adults doing dumb stuff. Same as our neighborhood pool, sadly...

Related question: what are the requirements for the zipline? The kids will be 8YO and both are over 48 inches now. They ziplined before so would be quite sad to find they have all days passes and can't use them.

I guess the same question for the water slides, if someone knows or have a photo of the rules board...

Thanks!

Hi. I just got off the Magic today and we had rented a poolside cabana. I'm glad to see the question about the zip line requirements because we had no clue what they were until we got there ourselves. In order to use the zip line you must be at least 8 years old and MUST WEIGHT AT LEAST 80 POUNDS. There's also a maximum weight allowance of 260 pounds and yes, they do have a scale there to check. I have twin eight year old DDs. One weighed in at 76 pounds and the guy there seemed to willing to let the four pounds slide, but my other daughter came in at 62 pounds and it was clear there would be no zip lining for her. To keep jealousy from reigning supreme, neither daughter got to use the zip line. The second disappointment we had with the poolside cabana was the WiFi, which worked fairly well in the main square, but NOT in the actual cabana.

Now that all the bad news is out of the way, let's talk about the good news. The poolside cabanas are very nice. They include four noodles and two adult sized pool floats. The fridge had six bottles of water, four bottles of Regular Coke, two bottles of "Coke Light," one Sprite and one Orange Fanta. There were some bags of local snacks there too. There was one bag that had some sort of corn chips that my kids seemed to like. The rest of the snacks were a bust. Also, all of the pool cabanas are located in a roped off VIP area and there are poolside loungers that are reserved for your cabana. they're not shaded, but would be better suited if you want to keep a close eye on your kids in the pool.

Let me know if you or anyone else has any other questions about the poolside cabanas and I'll try to answer them.

That is a bummer about the zip lines, but I guess not surprising. I don't think there is anywhere in the US that allows 'kids' to ride the zip lines, though I haven't done an exhaustive search. Our kids did it in Roatan, and had a blast. It would be cool to zip over the pool, and they'd love to race, but they'll live. I guess that's an issue either way except that we are sort of paying for the passes?

Are the zip line passes marked somehow? I've got a work friend on the ship as well who has 3 or 4 adults along and might be able to use them.

Are there 4 cabanas as I see on the map?

Is there any shade on the cabana deck area? I found a better picture and it looks like the deck is uncovered. That might be a deal breaker for us, since be able to spend time out of the sun is a big deal. It looks like it would either be in the building itself, or under the deck in the hammock? Or could we pull loungers back under the deck and into the shade if desired?

It is set up such that the 'staff' will expect a gratuity? I doubt we'll bring much cash to a pool day, so I need to account for that if so.

Any problematic rules on the waterslide(s)? Were your DDs able to use it?

Thank you!

Are the zip line passes marked somehow?

Yes. When you check in, everyone in your party gets a plastic snap-on bracelet (just like Camp Ocean) that serves as your zip line pass. They would be pretty hard to share with other people. Just remember that you can have up to seven people check in with your party.

Are there 4 cabanas as I see on the map?

Yes, there are four poolside cabanas.

Is there any shade on the cabana deck area?

Not really. There's a trellis above the deck are that does not offer much shade. The trellis does have the misters on them, which help a bit stay cool, but do nothing to keep you out of the sun.

It looks like it would either be in the building itself, or under the deck in the hammock?

Yes, the building and the hammock beneath are fully shaded.

Or could we pull loungers back under the deck and into the shade if desired?

The loungers wouldn't fit under the deck. Also the ground underneath is very rocky. Best to have flip flops handy if you want to use the hammock. Now, looking through my pictures, I do see some closed umbrellas near the loungers by the cabanas. I'd like to think that if you asked them to open the umbrellas in the VIP area, they wouldn't charge you extra, but I can't know for sure.

It is set up such that the 'staff' will expect a gratuity?

Only if you order food really. You do need to pay a $5 deposit for the cabana and safe keys so definitely keep that handy. The food is very good. Its still overpriced, but not as much as Margaritaville in Grand Turk. We ordered a salad, some chicken nuggets and some chicken and shrimp fried rice.

Any problematic rules on the waterslides?

Nope. There were two slides, one had an open top, the other was a closed tube and was quite dark. My kids loved both.