Electrical Socket in stateroom

trbarton

Im looking at a USB adapter like this one with 4 sockets.

IMG_3421_zpsvhlznt4a.jpeg

There is a European plug that I want to use in the stateroom. IMG_3422_zpsaoenk99y.jpeg

The plug that I found dosen't look like the right one. What is the name for the plug that I need to fit in this socket?

Thanks!

Tom:cool:

That one should fit the outlet. It is an ungrounded version much like a two prong 120V US outlet.

We bought this one and used it with a standard US multi port USB outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

You can also buy one like that but is for 120V outlets not the 240V outlets
The OP wanted to be able to use the third outlet which is a European style outlet. That is why I suggested buying just the adapter and using a standard US multi port USB adapter. We did that on the Pacific because we had some items that were not USB powered and needed a separate outlet.

The OP wanted to be able to use the third outlet which is a European style outlet. That is why I suggested buying just the adapter and using a standard US multi port USB adapter. We did that on the Pacific because we had some items that were not USB powered and needed a separate outlet.

got it. I understand

I'm still not sure if the adapter I found is correct as the European socket on the desk looks like it takes an adapter with 3 prongs at the top & one on the bottom.

My question was what's this is called in doing a on-line search.

Tom🤔

Not all of these multi-port USB chargers are rated for 220V.

There is a European plug that I want to use in the stateroom. IMG_3422_zpsaoenk99y.jpeg

The plug that I found dosen't look like the right one. What is the name for the plug that I need to fit in this socket?

Thanks!

Tom, The socket on the Royal and Regal in your photo is a Type F socket. This type of socket is compatible with type C, E, and F plugs. The USB adapter in your photo has a type C plug and will work in the socket on the Royal and Regal. This is what SwissDave and I said in our previous posts. The type C plug is ungrounded like our two prong US plug while the type E and F plugs are grounded like our three prong US plugs.

I would still recommend getting a Type E/F adapter like the one I referenced in my previous post and use that with a US USB charger rated for 110-240V and 50-60Hz. That way you can also use the charger in the other sockets and at home.

Tom, The socket on the Royal and Regal in your photo is a Type F socket. This type of socket is compatible with type C, E, and F plugs. The USB adapter in your photo has a type C plug and will work in the socket on the Royal and Regal. This is what SwissDave and I said in our previous posts. The type C plug is ungrounded like our two prong US plug while the type E and F plugs are grounded like our three prong US plugs.

I would still recommend getting a Type E/F adapter like the one I referenced in my previous post and use that with a US USB charger rated for 110-240V and 50-60Hz. That way you can also use the charger in the other sockets and at home.

Thank you very much for your explanation. Very helpful in understanding this. Hopefully helpful for others too.

Tom😀

Thanks!

If you look closely at the Euro, the two outer holes have a slight keyhole shape. It'll fit both the narrow and wide Euro pin plugs. You will not need any sort of adapter. We have used several kinds of Euro adapters/splitters/USB on various ships and haven't had an issue. A few of ours have that diamond shape holding the pins. We bought ours as souvenirs.

The issue will be the USB outlet itself. Many times those are slow charging.

Edited by SadieN

The issue will be the USB outlet itself. Many times those are slow charging.
That is another reason I suggested a separate adapter and charger. The model in Tom's photo appears to be rated at only 15 watts which is quite low for 4 ports at less that 4 watts per outlet. Most multi port chargers will be rated at around 10 watts per outlet to be able to charge phones and tablets at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is another reason I suggested a separate adapter and charger. The model in Tom's photo appears to be rated at only 15 watts which is quite low for 4 ports at less that 4 watts per outlet. Most multi port chargers will be rated at around 10 watts per outlet to be able to charge phones and tablets at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Im not truly positive but isn't this USB charger a 3.0A which makes it a fairly fast charger - even with two devices (and three outlets)?? Output of 5V = 3.0A on the side?

Im not truly positive but isn't this USB charger a 3.0A which makes it a fairly fast charger - even with two devices (and three outlets)?? Output of 5V = 3.0A on the side?
If you connect just one device it would be fine. However, an iPhone draws 1.0A when charging and an iPad draws 2.1A. That is already 3.1A and if you connected any other device the charging for all devices would slow down.

Thanks for that! So just 2 phones or the iPad on its own [emoji106]

(One of the ports isn't for an Apple device anyway [emoji6])

That's just how they're labeled in Europe. An Apple product will charge just fine in the Galaxy port.

• 1 year later...

Read your charger (and device) fine print!

Apple US chargers will take an input up to 220v, so you can use a plug adapter to plug your US charger into an EU outlet and the charger will do the work of a converter and output the right 5v for the phone/ipad. If I remember correctly, my macbook charger also was fine for 110-220v input - so again all I needed was a $10 adapter to be able to plug it in.

One of my digi cameras also has a charger that takes an input voltage of 110-220v, whereas my other camera does NOT accept the 220v input. Had I plugged in that device that only takes 110-140v input into the 220v source I could have had a serious problem.

Another option is to pack a USB battery pack, charge that when you're not in the room and then charge your phone off the battery and charge/power other device off the wall. Also lets you charge a phone while on your nightstand. [Also very useful for airports/airplane rides, esp now that a lot of planes offer content over wifi]