Old Havana Walking Tours (MAPS+TEXTS)

Yenchiong

From the Ferris terminal (the only one in Havana) you can take these two walking tours by yourself with more than 100 points of interest. You can also download the catalogue with the description of each location (attached) at www.recorridosporlahabana.com/recorrido-1 and www.recorridosporlahabana.com/recorrido-3 (English versions)

If you have more time, there is a tour at Vedado and useful information but in Spanish.

TIP: Print or download the maps and text in your cellphone/tablet. The internet connection is really slow in the city and you can not use the website as a reference.

218248_0346f01edd11478ea29ffd64896a15e0~mv2.jpg

218248_96ce40a9cc18449ea6e5e04381157008~mv2.jpg

TOUR 1 Map-Text.pdf

R3 Map-Texts.pdf

Thank you so much for this into. I will be going in December and I would like to do non cruise ship excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gracias mom!

Then you will have more time for learning.

I will suggest this blog https://hereishavana.com. You can download its iapp, but internet in Cuba is really slow.

Buen viaje!

When you open the links, they say.....

Tour 1 9 am to 6 pm

R3 9:30 am to 5:30 pm

However, I notice that a lot of the location numbers are bars and museums. Does this timing include a drink at each bar? Are bars your focus? How much time does it include inside the museums, or are you supposed to just walk past the building and forget the contents?

The other factor is the heat/humidity. At more hot/humid times if year, I struggle to get down the block, while at others, I can wander for hours.

Most importantly, sights in Cuba might not be the proper focus of a visit (not like Paris or London). IMO meeting and talking with Cubans should become the highlight of any trip, so wandering around at a leisurely pace to give time for this should be built into a visi, in preference to covering some list of supposed must-sees.

My best advice after more than one visit is not to get fixated on places, but to focus on meeting local people.

Oh, and in post #1, note that OP means FERRY terminal, on Sao Pedro between Calle Sol and Calle Luz. On the map, the wording is "lancha".

You might be interested to know that the link in Post #3 is to the blog of Connor Gorry, a young American woman, resident of Havana, journalist, and owner of a funky little bookstore/cafe in the Vedado neighborhood (corner 24th and 19th). If you're looking around at mansions in Vedado, drop in for a cold drink and some reading material.

When you open the links, they say.....

Tour 1 9 am to 6 pm

R3 9:30 am to 5:30 pm

However, I notice that a lot of the location numbers are bars and museums. Does this timing include a drink at each bar? Are bars your focus? How much time does it include inside the museums, or are you supposed to just walk past the building and forget the contents?

The other factor is the heat/humidity. At more hot/humid times if year, I struggle to get down the block, while at others, I can wander for hours.

Most importantly, sights in Cuba might not be the proper focus of a visit (not like Paris or London). IMO meeting and talking with Cubans should become the highlight of any trip, so wandering around at a leisurely pace to give time for this should be built into a visi, in preference to covering some list of supposed must-sees.

Hi Vida

The walking tours is customizable, you can do whatever fit better your interest. It is just a reference of important and interesting points.

Thank you for these. We are going in Oct and while we are set for a ships excursion we have a lot of time to do things on our own so these will help a lot.

Thanks. The website will provide you with a lot of useful information, but you have to read it in Spanish, so far. Any questions, just contact us. Keeping in touch

Thanks. The website will provide you with a lot of useful information, but you have to read it in Spanish, so far. Any questions, just contact us. Keeping in touch

Yes, some of the English descriptions of the numbered locations are not totally understandable. The words are in English but they do not add up to meaning.

Yes, some of the English descriptions of the numbered locations are not totally understandable. The words are in English but they do not add up to meaning.

Mechanical translation, literal translation :)

EL VEDADO

If you want to experience more real Cuban life then this is the place to stay or visit. It has little restaurants nestled in between the historic homes. The old architecture is nice and many homes are being renovated. It has plenty of parks, it is near the Malecon, not as busy as historic Havana so it tends to be more subdued and quiet. Restaurants and bars are definitely cheaper here. This is one of the nicer neighborhoods. www.recorridosporlahabana.com/recorrido-2

218248_3b7f02e921974067818a4a14242bbb90~mv2.jpg

"More real Cuban life"? What does that even mean? "More real" than what?

Away from the couple of main squares and main shopping street in Havana Vieja, local life --real Cuban life---goes on undisturbed.

Vedado seems a bit more suburban, many large crumbling houses with gardens, some tree shaded side streets, but there are lots of B&Bs for foreign tourists and expensive tourist restaurants.

You will probably drive through the neighborhood on a classic car tour or the HOHO. You can go have a drink at the Hotel Nacional or get some ice cream at Coppelia.

If you want to get slapped in the face by "real" Cuban life, try barrio JesusMaria if you dare. Most wouldn't.

http://www.guije.com/pueblo/municipios/habana/jesusmaria/mapas/index.htm

Edited by VidaNaPraia

OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST

Centro Habana Callejón de Hamel

Playa 5ta Avene; Acuario Nacional; Instituto Superior de Arte (ISA); Fusterlandia; Marina Hemingway

Marianao Tropicana

Habana del Este Cojímar; Playas del Este: Bacuranao, Tarará, El Mégano, Santa María del Mar, Boca Ciega & Guanabo

Boyeros National Zoo; el Rincón; el Cacagual

Arroyo Naranjo National Botanic Garden

San Miguel del Padrón Finca Vigía (Hemingway's Museum)

www.recorridosporlahabana.com/otras-zonas-y-sitios-de-interes (for downloading map + texts)

218248_ce9600cae3e54cc08ea83b3584a672e0~mv2.jpg

• 1 month later...
Oh I didn't even see that part, thanks. So excited to get to the "substance" of it I guess I skimmed over that!

Hi HRWI

Each walking tour will take the whole day if you want to get into details.

You can also have the service of a tour guide.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Oh I didn't even see that part, thanks. So excited to get to the "substance" of it I guess I skimmed over that!

Hi HRWI, usually the walking tour take you the whole day, but it is flexible.

The time reference has been calculated with a tour guide, but you can do it by yourself.

Thanks for the excellent maps & information. We are planning a self walking tour the morning before the ship leaves. We dock the previous day at 11:30am and are booked on a tour but we want to roam around by ourselves or perhaps with other couples we'll meet on the ship.

• 4 months later...