Venice Water Taxi to Marriott Boscolo Question

Kramer995

Hello!

I've read that private water taxis from the cruise terminal to your hotel could cost around 130 euros. Is this per person or would it be for a party of four?

Thinking about staying at the Marriott Boscolo, but it looks a little off-the-beaten path. First time in Venice.

Thank you!

have been to Venice a few times. Last time we stayed on the Lido Island. Hotel Belvedere was close to water bus stop. Much cheaper than a taxi. Got passes for the length of our stay ( 3 days I think). Room with a view of St Marks across the water. 10 minute ride over on the water bus. I really liked it but if you want the atmosphere of Venice at night likely better to stay closer to St Marks. It was also difficult to get our luggage on and off the water bus when we went to board the cruise. Mostly because the time of day we went it was busy and people oblivious to surroundings.

I checked out reviews on the hotel you are looking at and most say its a 3 star hotel with 5 star prices..but could be could if you have Marriott points.

Also wanted to suggest that you take the Secret Tour of the Doges palace. Includes secret floor and the cell of Casanova. This tour also gives you time to see the rest of the palace.

Have fun. Venice is great.

I believe the price is for the whole water taxi. Note also that the Boscolo is also an easy 5-minute walk from the Orto vaporetto stop.

I really liked the location - nothing is very far in Venice, so still convenient for touring, but much quieter than the main tourist areas.

As for the location, yes, it's off the beaten path, in that you're not 5 minutes from St Marks. But that might be a good thing, depending on your perspective and your ability to walk and cope with bridges .

On my first visit to Venice we stayed near the Rialto Bridge, which was a 8-10 minute walk to St Marks. So looking at a map, I'd guess your hotel is a 30 minute walk, OR, you could walk 8-10 minutes to the Grand Canal and take a water bus down the Canal to St Marks.

I enjoyed walking around Venice and seeing the various residential areas, the quiet back canals, and lovely bridges. But if you're short on time or physically unable, perhaps a hotel closer to St Marks would be a better fit. Depends on your needs and ability.

Wow - thank you for all of the wonderful information. I am just concerned with logistics, as we are traveling with a couple in their 70s. They are fit, but luggage may be an issue for them getting to the hotel and to the airport later.

You are right - Marriott points is what attracted us to the Boscolo. I looked at the JW, but would rather be able to walk to most places and not be dependent on the water shuttle...unless I am mistaken about mobility around Venice.

Casanova's cell sounds very interesting too!

Hi, we are staying at the Becher Hotel close to San Marcos, has a private dock and we are taking a private water taxi for the 4 of us. We are using top serviceh24 water taxi, cost from pier to hotel dock is 120e for the 4 of us with luggage. No deposit, payment is due on day of service.

Is this a one nite stay?

And by 'most places' do you mean the sights around St Marks? If so, a hotel in that area might be better for you. But if handling luggage is a big concern, be aware that the WATER TAXI dock at the airport is almost a 10 minute walk from the terminal. There are luggage carts to use so perhaps that will eliminate the issue for you.

Otherwise, you may find it easier to stay in Piazzale Roma. You can take a cab from the pier to PRoma, and again from the hotel to the airport. There are 2 hotels on the square, and several more within a 5 minute walk and over 1 bridge.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

There is a water bus stop nr PRoma, so you could all enjoy a ride down the Grand Canal together, do your sightseeing, then split up to get back to the hotel; those who can, will wander back on foot while the others take the water bus. I think its 7 or 8e pp, per trip.

Venice for Visitors is a great resource. Lots of info on nearly every topic.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

Wow - thank you for all of the wonderful information. I am just concerned with logistics, as we are traveling with a couple in their 70s. They are fit, but luggage may be an issue for them getting to the hotel and to the airport later.

You are right - Marriott points is what attracted us to the Boscolo. I looked at the JW, but would rather be able to walk to most places and not be dependent on the water shuttle...unless I am mistaken about mobility around Venice.

Casanova's cell sounds very interesting too!

Check into the Starwood offerings. I've stayed at the Westin Europa & Regina and loved it. Good location close to the main tourist area. There is a way to be able to use your MR points at an SPG property: join the SPG program. Link it to your MR account. If you have elite status with MR, you automatically get the equivalent level with SPG. THEN, you are free to transfer points from one to the other in order use points for a stay at either Marriott or Starwood brand hotels. They are doing this until they come up with a merger strategy for the two loyalty programs. Take advantage if you can! I've done it - I'm SPG Gold. Got a MR account, linked, now have MR Gold. Transferred some of my SPG points over to MR for a stay at the Springhill Suites right at the cruise terminal in San Diego.

Is this a one nite stay?

And by 'most places' do you mean the sights around St Marks? If so, a hotel in that area might be better for you. But if handling luggage is a big concern, be aware that the WATER TAXI dock at the airport is almost a 10 minute walk from the terminal. There are luggage carts to use so perhaps that will eliminate the issue for

The water taxi Company we are using are picking us up at the pier by car, handling our luggage, taking us to the dock to board the water taxi.. so NO, we do not have to drag our luggage or walk 10 minutes.

Didn’t mean to hit enter. [emoji57] We took the taxi right from the airport (no need to pre-pay). 120 euro for 3 people with 6 suitcases. IMHO the best way to travel as a group. We love the location (less crowded, more authentic) and the Boscolo provides free boat rides to San Marco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will pay another 90 euro for a private taxi to the cruise terminal tomorrow. If your group was smaller, or each one of you only have 1 bag each then the other options make more sense. Have fun!

What I really like about this hotel is we can take a water taxi out of the front, free boat out of the back or just walk it. Most days we walk across Venice and back treating ourselves to a Gelato for the effort. At least twice we took the free boat ride one way and walked back.

I think the private taxi for luggage will be worth it.

The Westin looks fantastic - great location. It is points heavy compared to Boscolo. Might be worth it to have a great location. My husband is a Lifetime Platinum with Marriott, so we try to stay at their hotels (and Starwood now). I think his Marriott status is his greatest professional achievement. Hahahaha!

We plan to spend 3 nights. Might take a day trip to Dolomites. Also, spend a half day for Murano and Burano.

Again, I really appreciate all of your input! Thank you!

I think the private taxi for luggage will be worth it.

The Westin looks fantastic - great location. It is points heavy compared to Boscolo. Might be worth it to have a great location. My husband is a Lifetime Platinum with Marriott, so we try to stay at their hotels (and Starwood now). I think his Marriott status is his greatest professional achievement. Hahahaha!

We plan to spend 3 nights. Might take a day trip to Dolomites. Also, spend a half day for Murano and Burano.

Again, I really appreciate all of your input! Thank you!

He would get SPG Plat status. That has some good bennies (bonus points, comp breakfast, late checkout to 4pm if available)...

A day trip to the Dolomites would be great! Be sure to bring your motion sickness meds if you get even a little carsick - the roads through there are very, very wind-y. The Great Road of the Dolomites (Bolzano - Cortina) is especially cruel to the those who get carsick - more hairpin turns than I've ever seen before anywhere! But, the scenery is amazing.

Didn’t mean to hit enter. emoji57.png We took the taxi right from the airport (no need to pre-pay). 120 euro for 3 people with 6 suitcases. IMHO the best way to travel as a group. We love the location (less crowded, more authentic) and the Boscolo provides free boat rides to San Marco

We will be at the Boscolo in October for our cruise. I have two questions I hope you can answer for me:

1. What is the hotel shuttle like - time schedule, when the last boat returning to the hotel would be..things like that.

2. When you took the taxi to the hotel, what size luggage did you have? My DIL wants to bring a 27" bag and that seems large so I am curious how you managed it.

Thanks for the help.

Didn’t mean to hit enter. [emoji57] We took the taxi right from the airport (no need to pre-pay). 120 euro for 3 people with 6 suitcases. IMHO the best way to travel as a group. We love the location (less crowded, more authentic) and the Boscolo provides free boat rides to San Marco

Would you be able to let me know about the shuttle boat from the Marriott to San Marco? How frequently does it run and what time does it stop for the evening? I wrote to the hotel but I don't think they understood what I was asking.

Thanks!

27" will be no problem since that is the size my wife used. The earliest shuttle was around 10:30AM and the last one was around 6:30PM. We would only use it one way and walk back. Perfect for us. The walk is 30 - 45 minutes depending how much you get distracted by the shops.