Transportation to Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, Devils Bridge

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:21 AM.
90 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
A group of six of us will be on Grandeur of the Seas in Feb 2018 and would like to go see Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights and Devils Bridge. Is it possible for all six of us to get a cab together to see these sights and what might the cost be? Is there another mode of transportation suggested? Thanks!
NYC
726 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I was just about to ask the same question - DH and I are considering the same sights on our trip in January. Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection

NYC
726 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Upon further research, it looks as though a taxi from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard is a set fare of $24. There's also a bus that costs $1.50, so that's what we'll be doing! As far as I can tell there's no way to get to Devil's Bridge without a taxi, but I haven't been able to find out what the estimated cost of that might be. I'm thinking we will take the bus to Nelson's Dockyard and walk to Shirley Heights, then try to negotiate a decent price for a taxi to take us back to St. John's via Devil's Bridge. Might be a good way to see a few other sights on the eastern side of the island as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection

Colorado Springs
240 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
According to the taxi chart at this site:
http://www.antiguanice.com/v2/docume...TB%20final.pdf
the set fare to Devil's Bridge is $26 for the first 4 passengers (from St John's). It does not give rates originating from Nelson's Dockyard, but it does mention tours that I think you can customize for $24 an hour - minimum of 2 hours (4 people, each additional passenger $6 an hour)
77 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I was looking for the same thing as you for our dec cruise. After reading I came across Lawrence of Antigua recommended in one of these threads. I emailed him and this is what he said was included. I think I'm going to book the land tour

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature