Best beaches in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:29 PM.
Victoria BC
2,868 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by klfhngr
FYI on Playa Los Muertos in PV: It gets hot and CROWDED with many locals! Get ready to pay for chairs.. umbrella slightly more... Lot's of vendors selling food and stuff. Also a great spot to for water sports/rentals. Just be prepared for the crowds. We were just there in July.
I have never had to pay for a chair or umbrella at any of the Los Muertos restaurants I have chosen to spend the day at. As long as I am buying food and drink those items have always been free.
Are you talking about one of the beach clubs? Swell or the Vista Grill one (forget the day name but at night it's the Vista Grill.
In all of my 25+++ visits (last one was this May) chairs and umbrellas are free for patrons at restaurants.

Crowds are larger than normal
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Saphire Princess 10 day Mexican Rivera 2011
Sapphire Princess Mexican Rivera 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=62545
Carribean Princess NYC -San Juan 2008
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=48777
Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal May 2008
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=43038
Diamond Princess Mexican Rivera Nov 2006
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=23272
NCL Spirit Pacific Coastal 2005 <---Trying hard to elimate that horrible cruise from my memory bank.
Other Princess cruises long ago
SoCal Baby!
3,583 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by quincytoo
I have never had to pay for a chair or umbrella at any of the Los Muertos restaurants I have chosen to spend the day at. As long as I am buying food and drink those items have always been free.
Are you talking about one of the beach clubs? Swell or the Vista Grill one (forget the day name but at night it's the Vista Grill.
In all of my 25+++ visits (last one was this May) chairs and umbrellas are free for patrons at restaurants.

Crowds are larger than normal
No restaurants or beach clubs, just walked up to the main beach...... The area was by one of the restaurants with a huge covered patio... Sorry, don't know the name and i do know that there are lots of restaurants... maybe that's the ticket, to wine and dine and stay for 'free'... We plan on finding a more secluded beach this coming Oct.... And visit Los Muertos Brewery!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Tropicale 85 Mex Riv. First Cruise, got hooked!
Commadore Caribe 86 West Caribbean. 1st Cruise with my future wife! Had separate cabins, lol!
Carnival Jubilee (3) 90, 92, 94 Mex Riv. Some of the funnest times!
Carnival Sensation 96 West Caribbean.
Explorer of the Seas 01 West Caribbean. First cruise for my boys (3 and 9 years old)!!
Princess Star 02 Mex Riv. Drama Cruise!
Carnival Spirit 04 Mex Riv. First 8 day!
Carnival Valor 05 West Caribbean. Crazy times, I'm on fire!!
Vision of the Seas 08 Mex Riv. Good Times w/friends and family!
Mariner of the Seas 09 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Mariner of the Seas 10 Mex Riv. Favorite Ship!
Carnival Splendor 12 Mex Riv. Cruise with family and sons' future in-laws!
Allure of the Seas 14 East Caribbean. Missed the ship in Nassau!
Celebrity Equinox 5/17 Southern Caribbean. Anniversary Cruise! First 10 day, it was awesome! Met great people!
Ruby Princess Mex Riv.10/17 Friends and Family cruise. More info to come!
Royal Princess East Coast/Canada. 10/18? Spend some time in NY before/after.
Royal/X/RCCL? Europe.?/19
Royal Princess Pacific Coastal. 5/19
and possibly a few others in between, can't remember!
Durham, NC
432 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by Ine
Restaurants on the beach on Playa Los Muertos (old town Vallarta) donot have showers, but they have bathrooms. You need to bring your own towel (get it on your ship). Just order food and drinks.
Hotel Tropicana in old town has a daypass for Pesos 200,- of which Pesos 100,- is for food.
You need a cab or local bus to get there.

Walking distance from the cruise terminal is Hotel Krystal where many cruise passengers were welcome to have a drink/meal and use their pool. However since contruction is going on there I am not sure they still do.
Not too far from the terminal (on the other side of the Marina, so you need cab or local bus for a short ride) ) Hotel Mariott has a deal for (price might be higher now) for US$ 35,- you can have a daypass. Not all but most of that amount if for food and drinks.
Nuevo Vallarta is about 30 minutes north by cab (longer by public bus) has a nice beachclub ETC. Just pay for food and drinks. They are on one of the nicest beaches in the area.

Playa los Animas is mentioned but since you need bus and boat to get there, which takes time, it is a bit too complicated if you need to be back in time.
Marriott (Grande) is absolutely beautiful with a fabulous pool By the way
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Bill

"We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"