London to Southhampton transfer for Princess Cruise of British Isles.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
British Isles/Western Europe
Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:49 PM.
21 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I will be going on a princess cruise in summer of 2018 of the British isles. I fly into London but the boat leaves from South Hampton. I will be taking the trasnfer via the cruise ship with a motor coach that leaves from Victoria station in London. Has anyone done this? I just was wondering how it was? easy/difficult? Anything you would do different?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
183 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I found this webpage useful when we were planning:

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel..._transfers.htm

We opted for a private car transfer ourselves, heading to the ship, since we were actually outside central London. We had positive experiences with both Blackberry Cars and Smiths for Airports.

(On the way back to the airport, we did the excursion through Princess that stops at Stonehenge on the way to Heathrow, and I very much enjoyed it.)
Middle of the Sahara Desert
11,798 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by ice_berg_ahead
I will be going on a princess cruise in summer of 2018 of the British isles. I fly into London but the boat leaves from South Hampton. I will be taking the trasnfer via the cruise ship with a motor coach that leaves from Victoria station in London. Has anyone done this? I just was wondering how it was? easy/difficult? Anything you would do different?
Are you going strait to the ship on arrive in London or a you spending a few days.
If your flying in the day of the cruise . Why not take the cruise shuttle directly from the either Heathrow or Gatwick.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
Romsey England
11,447 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
It's Southampton - all one word.

If you're travelling from London's Heathrow or Gatwick airports, you don't need to go to Victoria.
Ships' transfer coaches pick up at the airports & take you direct to the ship.
Or you can take the National Express bus from Heathrow direct to Southampton, or the train or Nat Express bus from Gatwick to Southampton. Links at the bottom of this post.

If you're spending pre-cruise time in central London, ships' transfer buses pick up at Victoria coach station (not Victoria rail station).
How easy depends on the location of your London hotel.
A hotel in Victoria (west side of central London) obviously is pretty easy, but from one at the northern or eastern end of central London you'll need London's underground system, the tube (can be difficult with luggage) or a taxi (expensive).
The train is potentially easier (and cheaper) if your hotel is near Waterloo station or Paddington station.
Or from that same Victoria coach station you can use a Nat Express scheduled bus. Similar vehicles to ships' coaches, but Nat Express coaches all have washroom, wifi for each seat, and disabled access.
And the fare on Nat Express is usually just £5 and at worst about £15.
Ships' transfers are multiple times that cost , tho' some folk prefer that their transfer is in the hands of the cruise line.
With the Nat Express coach you'll need a taxi from Southampton coach station to pier, fare depends on which cruise terminal, but no more than £10. Ditto from Southampton central rail station.
Whether ship's coach or Nat Express coach you need to pre-book.
Pre-booking the train isn't essential, but will save you a few pounds.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/travel/d.../tube_map.html
(don't bother to print-off the tube map, they're freely available)
https://www.londontoolkit.com/
(excellent info about central London's infrastructure, about London's airports, about Southampton, and about travel between them. Including a cruise tour/transfer coach from your hotel to your ship, but don't book an over-priced private transfer car through this website - they have to earn their money somehow )

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
21 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I will be coming into London a fews days early to tour London. I was thinking about staying at The Grosvenor Hotel, since it looks like it is close to where I have to go to ride the coach.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Vancouver
1,387 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
I will be coming into London a fews days early to tour London. I was thinking about staying at The Grosvenor Hotel, since it looks like it is close to where I have to go to ride the coach.
if you can afford the Grosvenor, you can afford a private car
If you take a coach be careful; there are 2 Victoria stations. One for trains and tube and a different one for buses.
Raleigh, N.C.
11,932 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
We stayed in London for three nights before our cruise last month. We took the train from Paddington. After the cruise, we took the Princess transfer via bus to Heathrow. The train ride was so much more pleasant than the bus.
17,152 Posts
Joined Aug 2013

We did the Princess transfer from Victoria station. It is the National Express Bus terminal. Once you enter the terminal building, you can ask the reception desk which gate no. the Princess transfer couch will be and the time it will open. At the appointed tme, a Princess rep will be at the gate and your name will be checked against their list. On boarding, your check-in luggage will be loaded by the staff and will handle them to port and onto your cabin. It was easy from the time you are at the station. Getting there from your hotel is another matter. We did not encounter any problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Ontario, Canada
9 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
I was reading in Rick Steves that you can also take a train from Waterloo station in London that goes to Southhampton, then take a cab to the boat. Has anyone tried this?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
**Royal Princess-August 2018**
Carnival Dream-December 2012
Norwegian Gem-March 2011
Cotswolds, UK
2,329 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by Cruising Carolynne
I was reading in Rick Steves that you can also take a train from Waterloo station in London that goes to Southhampton, then take a cab to the boat. Has anyone tried this?

Many, many thousands of people have done this - it's pretty much the standard way to go by train and is frequently mentioned in these threads. Is there any particular aspect of it we can help you with?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Romsey England
11,447 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Cruising Carolynne

Yes, that's a pretty standard route for many many cruisers, especially those based close to Waterloo.

But you now have to forget the silly-cheap "Megatrain" prices - there was a change of train operator in August, and the new operator isn't a member of the Megatrain consortium. So at about £40 pp the train isn't as cheap as it was, and I suspect that more folk will use either the National Express coach service from London Victoria coach station (from as little as £5 pp) or private transfers (about £120 per car) or a tour-transfer coach.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cotswolds, UK
2,329 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by John Bull
Yes, that's a pretty standard route for many many cruisers, especially those based close to Waterloo.

But you now have to forget the silly-cheap "Megatrain" prices - there was a change of train operator in August, and the new operator isn't a member of the Megatrain consortium. So at about £40 pp the train isn't as cheap as it was, and I suspect that more folk will use either the National Express coach service from London Victoria coach station (from as little as £5 pp) or private transfers (about £120 per car) or a tour-transfer coach.

JB

But don't forget the new operator sells Advance tickets on that route now, so still some bargains to be found through normal rail ticket channels.

Romsey England
11,447 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Cotswold Eagle
But don't forget the new operator sells Advance tickets on that route now, so still some bargains to be found through normal rail ticket channels.

True, my feathered friend.
Well ............... sort of true.

From what I've seen the fare is around £40, apart from £15.50 for just one train each day - though that one is at 9.39am, which is suitable for cruise passengers.
And it looks like to get that lower fare you have to book over 7 weeks in advance.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cotswolds, UK
2,329 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
All depends how quick they sell. Lowest seems to be a £9-10 Advance, and I have just seen a £15-20 First Class Advance - both on a couple of trains on Saturday 21/10.

But yes, people will need to look as far in advance as possible.

Romsey England
11,447 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Cotswold Eagle
All depends how quick they sell. Lowest seems to be a £9-10 Advance, and I have just seen a £15-20 First Class Advance - both on a couple of trains on Saturday 21/10.

But yes, people will need to look as far in advance as possible.

Totally ridiculous state of affairs.
Yes, on that morning seven different fares with no discernible reason for the variations, from £9.10 for the 10.05am to £40.40 for the next train, at 10.20am.
Go back through that week & the fare for every train on every other day is over £40, cos it's too late for advance tickets for those days.
No wonder train fares leave me bemused.

So what do I do?
Buy shares in SouthWestern Trains to take advantage of the higher fares?
Or buy a bus to take advantage of folk switching from trains to buses?

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
601 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Question - If we wish to use Princess transfer from Victoria Station. Is it difficult/expensive to get to Victoria Coach station from Waterloo side?. Anybody knows the cost of the taxi.

It appears Waterloo side is close to more touristy sites - read through many comments.

We are trying to decide which side in London to stay for our pre-cruise - Victoria or Waterloo.

Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dolphin Seabreeze(89),
RCI Sovereign of the Seas(90), Grandeur of the Seas(00)
Voyager of the Seas (02), Mariner of the Seas(5/07)
Mariner of the Seas (6/11 Middle East/Med)
Freedom of the Seas (5/13 & 4/14 - Western Caribbean)

Freedom of the Seas (10/16-Western)
Oasis of the Seas (4/17-Western)
Princess Cruises
Crown Princess (Old-92), Star Princess (Old-94)
Dawn Princess (98&99), Ocean Princess(10/02)
Island Princess(Panama 04/04), Coral Princess (Panama 05)
Regal Princess (S. America 06), Caribbean Princess(05)
Sun Princess(06), Emerald Princess (TransAtlantic 09/07)
Emerald Princess (Southern Caribbean 10/08), Golden Princess-Alaska(9/10)
Emerald Princess (8/12 Baltic), Royal Princess (11/15 - Southern) - Elite

Royal Princess (5/18) Up Coming
Celebirty
Galaxy(96), Celebrity Equinox (11/14)
HAL
Noordam (Old-97), Zuiderdam(09/04 E. Caribbean)
Noordam (3/2016) New Zealand/Australia
Carnival
Carnival Splendor (S America 03/09), Carnival Glory(09/09 Western Carib)
Carnival Dream (10/11 & 10/12 - Western Caribbean)
Carnival Dream (05/12 & 12/13 - Eastern Caribbean)
Carnival Sunshine (9/14)

Carnival Magic (12/17) - Up Coming
NCL
NCL Jade (10/13 Western Med)
Chelsea, London, England
3,729 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by ChattTenn
Question - If we wish to use Princess transfer from Victoria Station. Is it difficult/expensive to get to Victoria Coach station from Waterloo side?. Anybody knows the cost of the taxi.

It appears Waterloo side is close to more touristy sites - read through many comments.

We are trying to decide which side in London to stay for our pre-cruise - Victoria or Waterloo.

Thanks.
It is not that far. The 211 bus goes from Waterloo station to Victoria coach station (not good with loads of luggage though). I would guess a taxi might be £10 or so. It could be a nice walk - maybe an hour with stopping to look at the many tourist highlights you will pass on the way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you can read this - thank a teacher
If you are reading this in English - thank a soldier

Norwegian Jewel (28 Jul 2008 - 09 Aug 2008 - Baltic Capitals)
Norwegian Jade (24 May 2009 - 29 May 2009 - Ireland)
Norwegian Jade (30 May 2010 - 06 Jun 2010 - Western Med.)
http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/member...?EntryID=70844
Crown Princess (29 Jul 2010 - 10 Aug 2010 - Iceland & Norway)
Norwegian Jade (30 Jul 2011 - 13 Aug 2011 - Eastern Med.)
Norwegian Jade (22 Dec 2012 - 02 Jan 2013 - Med. + Holy Land)
Independence of the Seas (29 Oct 2013 - 02 Nov 2013 - Europe)
Norwegian Spirit (26 Dec 2013 - 04 Jan 2014 - Canary Islands +)
Norwegian Getaway (14-15 Jan 2014 - Southampton CTN)
Norwegian Jade (12 Jul 2014 - 26 Jul 2014 - Grand Med. from Venice)
Norwegian Jade (23 Dec 2014 - 03 Jan 2015 - Med. from Rome)
Royal Princess (08 Jul 2015 - 20 Jul 2015 - Round Britain)
P&O Oceana (27 Mar 2016 - 06 Apr 2016 - Iberia + Western Med.)
P&O Ventura (12 Sep 2016 - 18 Sep 2016 - Western Europe)
Azamara Journey (01 Feb 2017 - 19 Feb 2017 - Singapore to Sydney)
Regent Seven Seas Voyager (12 May 2018 - 01 Jun 2018 - Dubai to Rome)
Redditch England
1,834 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by ChattTenn

Thanks.
It would be more sensible to save money and effort by catching the train from Waterloo to Southampton as described by JB above.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Søren Kierkegaard
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
601 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Thanks for the responses and all are very helpful.

We are trying to come up the location plus the cost to get us to the ship. We might use a private transfer if the cost would not be too much more expensive than Princess. We can't get the quote from Smith's transfer yet. Our cruise won't be until late April 2018.

ChattTenn
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dolphin Seabreeze(89),
RCI Sovereign of the Seas(90), Grandeur of the Seas(00)
Voyager of the Seas (02), Mariner of the Seas(5/07)
Mariner of the Seas (6/11 Middle East/Med)
Freedom of the Seas (5/13 & 4/14 - Western Caribbean)

Freedom of the Seas (10/16-Western)
Oasis of the Seas (4/17-Western)
Princess Cruises
Crown Princess (Old-92), Star Princess (Old-94)
Dawn Princess (98&99), Ocean Princess(10/02)
Island Princess(Panama 04/04), Coral Princess (Panama 05)
Regal Princess (S. America 06), Caribbean Princess(05)
Sun Princess(06), Emerald Princess (TransAtlantic 09/07)
Emerald Princess (Southern Caribbean 10/08), Golden Princess-Alaska(9/10)
Emerald Princess (8/12 Baltic), Royal Princess (11/15 - Southern) - Elite

Royal Princess (5/18) Up Coming
Celebirty
Galaxy(96), Celebrity Equinox (11/14)
HAL
Noordam (Old-97), Zuiderdam(09/04 E. Caribbean)
Noordam (3/2016) New Zealand/Australia
Carnival
Carnival Splendor (S America 03/09), Carnival Glory(09/09 Western Carib)
Carnival Dream (10/11 & 10/12 - Western Caribbean)
Carnival Dream (05/12 & 12/13 - Eastern Caribbean)
Carnival Sunshine (9/14)

Carnival Magic (12/17) - Up Coming
NCL
NCL Jade (10/13 Western Med)