Excursions canceled for rain? What are the odds?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:01 AM.
Tennessee
565 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Last time we went to Alaska we had sunny weather every single day... we were so lucky. So far it is looking like we could have rain every single day. I'm just curious if we should be concerned that any of our excursions are going to be canceled?

I know rain is an everyday part of life and Alaska, I'm not complaining about the rain, that's not what I'm saying.

Just wondering if I should do some research on backup excursions so that I can jump on them quickly if mine are canceled.

Skagway,we are doing the Wildlife Reserve, and Ketchikan we are doing the adventure Kart, at Mount McKinley Lodge we are doing the glacier Float Trip, not the white water rafting one. And at Denali Lodge we are doing evening ATV Adventure.

Just to be clear I'm not complaining about the rain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
09-06-2014 Golden Princess - Happy 9th Anniversary to us!
03-22-2015 Emerald Princess - Kids first cruise!
01-30-2016 Coral Princess-Just out of DRY DOCK DEBACLE
09-11-2017 Star Princess- BACK to Alaska! Land and sea !!!
Harrisburg, PA
1,884 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
My daughter did the wildlife preserve in Skagway in May. It was low 50's and pouring rain. I didn't even get off the ship. Excursion went as planned ( and she loved it.)
Tennessee
565 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
That's the one I figured would be the most likely to proceed. And possibly all of them will. I personally know that I'm not going to enjoy ATVing the pouring rain. So if it is that way I really hope they cancel it. Because I can't see that I would just cancel it myself and lose the money. But I really don't think I would enjoy it.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seattle, WA
1,788 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
On our second cruise, our Ketchikan excursion was the boat to Misty Fjords and floatplane back. After casting off, our boat tour guide told us that the weather for flying was questionable, and that the the pilots may declare the flight portion "unable". Sure enough, the pilots said "unable", and halfway (or so) to Misty Fjords, our boat turned around and returned us to the dock. Our excursion fee was refunded to our onboard account (or maybe it disappeared completely). Our only regret was that we weren't able to make a gametime decision and do something else instead, though I suspect we would have had to forfeit our fee if we wanted to punt.

Nonetheless, I do build a ranked list of what we'd like to do as an alternate, just in case. On one of our cruises, a day before our visit to Skagway, the WP&YR train had a derailment, and all service was halted for a few days to investigate. Everyone had to scramble to find alternate excursions, and in an event like that, I'd much prefer to have prioritized my choices so I could quickly file my requests and hope for the best.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Prior:

Repositioning Ruby Princess (VAN-SEA) 5/5/17-5/6/17

Mexican Riviera (LA RT) Ruby Princess 2/11/17-2/18/17

Repositioning Crown Princess (SEA-VAN) 9/19/15-9/20/15
Alaska (Seattle RT) Ruby Princess 8/9/15-8/16/15
Alaska Sampler (YVR-KTN-SEA) Ruby Princess 4/29/15-5/3/15
Alaska (Seattle RT) Grand Princess 7/20-27/14
Alaska Northbound Sapphire Princess 8/11-18/12
Alaska Northbound Coral Princess 9/4-11/10
178 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
On my August 18-25 Seward to Vancouver cruise on RC, my float plane trip in Ketchikan was cancelled due to rain. Also the ship turned around part way up Disenchantment Bay and we never made it to Hubbard Glacier.
Syracuse, New York
50,235 Posts
Joined May 2000
No, most trips do not cancel with rain. They operate as scheduled. You aren't doing any flights, which cancel for visibility which sometimes goes with rain.

This time frame, I never book these type of outdoor tours- kayaking, since I don't want to go in rain. I've had no trouble late booking, in good weather. There are't any glaciers near the Princess McKinley Lodge- if that is where you are staying? Where is your tour?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
Tennessee
565 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
McKinley lodge. It's called the glacier float trip. We went the same time in 2014 and it was 75 all week.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tennessee
565 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by Keith1010
Very few excursions are ever cancelled because of rain. Ones I can think of are not on your list.

Keith
That's what I have been seeing. No planes involved.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charlotte, NC
2,644 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We're currently docked in Ketchikan. It rained in on Monday but our whale watching/Mendenall Glacier cruise went on and it was wet but still awesome! Several peoole had their helicopter Tours cancelled because of the rain though.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
Syracuse, New York
50,235 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Herfnerd
Several peoole had their helicopter Tours cancelled because of the rain though.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Visibility ceilings, not just rain. Of course, the fog and rain can be together. I have flown multiple times in rain, that alone doesn't cancel trips usually.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
Wadsworth, IL
149 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
We just got back and someone in our group had a float trip scheduled for Skagway which was cancelled due to rain making the water conditions unsafe.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed Cruises :
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 9/12/10 Eastern Caribbean - 7nt
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2/14/11 Ultimate Caribbean and Panama - 11nt
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 12/20/14 Southern Caribbean Christmas Cruise - 7nt
RCCL Vision of the Seas 4/11/15 Transatlantic - 15nt

Upcoming Cruises :
RCCL Radiance of the Seas 9/1/17 Alaska Southbound - 7nt with 5nt pre-cruise land tour 5B
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 5/7/18 Transatlantic San Juan to Rome - 14 nt
New Mexico
4,538 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Since Alaska is in a temperate rain forest, rain is just taken in stride by excursions. Fog, low ceilings, and high winds definitely could cause cancellations:

Juneau 2014
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Photo Reviews -OR--Menus, On Locations, and More

Oosterdam - Alaska - May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern & Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - Sep 2011 (B2B 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - May 2013 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (B2B 4 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Pacific Coastal - May 2015 (5 days)
Noordam - Alaska - May 2015 (B2B 14 days)

Oosterdam - Southern Caribbean - Nov 2015
(11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific Coastal - Apr 2016 (5 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska Inside Passage - April 2016 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - Nov 2016 (10 days)
Noordam - Alaska - Jun 2017 (Northbound includes Denali) (12 days)
Veendam - Caribbean - Dec 2017 (14 days)
Zaandam - Alaska - May 2017 (14 days)

Nieuw Statendam - Caribbean - Jan 2019 (14 days)

39 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
I agree with all of these posts. The excursions that consistently cancel because of rain/viability issues are the flights. Most everything else goes rain or shine (and in August/September it's often rain!) Our first trip it rained nearly every day, but we still had an amazing time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Conquest March 2018
RCL Navigator of the Seas March 2015
Star Princess June 2012
Carnival Glory December 2010
Carnival Spirit August 2009
Carnival Holiday July 2009
Sapphire Princess February 2009
Carnival Victory December 2000
Anchorage, Alaska
1,154 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Depends on what type of excursion it is and how much wind, if any, goes along with the rain. Excursions involving VFR (Visual Flight Rule) aircraft operations will be canceled if the visibility and ceiling is below minimums. Also, strong winds will have an impact upon some shore excursions. On a two week cruise to Alaska, San Fran. to Vancouver, a few years ago, Valdez was our northern most port, we booked a kayak tour that day, unfortunately it was blowing and raining hard. We decided to cancel the kayak venture. But when I went down to do so I was told they had already terminated it. The rest of the tours that day went off as scheduled.
Charlotte, NC
2,644 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by Budget Queen
Visibility ceilings, not just rain. Of course, the fog and rain can be together. I have flown multiple times in rain, that alone doesn't cancel trips usually.

You are correct as usual! The people we had met who said their excursions were cancelled said it was due to rain but the ceiling was low that day.......

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
Reisterstown, Maryland
236 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
We just cruised last week and our Helicopter Excursion in Juneau was cancelled due to rain and low visibility. We were bummed but did the Canoe excursion to the Glacier which was great.
Boston, MA
165 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
We were in Ketchikan in August, and it was pouring so our kayaking excursion was cancelled. We ended walking around creek street, shopping, and having lunch so it was still a great day in the rain I'd say to have a few ideas of what you could in the rain just in case.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Trips
Somewhere warm!

Previous Trips
NCL Sun - August 2017 Alaska Southbound Trip Report
NCL Pearl - February 2016 Gronk's Party Ship
NCL Dawn - May 2015 Boston to Bermuda