Carnival Cruising Etiquette 101

wemjam

I honestly believe that many people are not raised with manners (see it everywhere not just cruise ships) any longer and ultimately those people are now raising a generation of kids that do not have manners or a general respect for those around them either. When you have kids running through hallways, playing on elevators (a big reason to take the stairs) and leaving food EVERYWHERE around the ship (stairways seem to be the big area to leave dishes for kids) and running their little mouths in a very disrespectful way is all the proof you need.
Perhaps, but let's not forget that our grandparents said roughly the same about our parents and our parents said roughly the same about us. There are noticeable differences with regard to the Millennials, especially having much to do with their valuing of things versus experience in general, but the truth is that people have been complaining about rowdiness, messiness, and potty mouths since we were young and probably a lot longer than that.

I have heard some of these parents comment that they are on vacation and they love cruising because they basically dont see their kids for a week (let them roam/run free), like the ship is a giant babysitter cuz they cannot go far.
Parents in the younger generations do seem to be more laissez faire than parents in our generation were, but at best that just accounts for an incremental amount of hubbub. That much is undeniable.

My thoughts were that there can't be that many people who didn't go to kindergarten and learn how to stand in line and follow instructions.
I don't think it is so much that people didn't go to kindergarten but rather than they're learning how to behave from our society. I think there is a rather unhealthy attitude very pervasive in society that has many excessively narrowly concerned about their own considerations and dreadfully inadequately considerate of how things affect other people. It was very interesting this past week hearing Governor Scott of Florida trying to teach people the kindergarten lesson on sharing, imploring them not to top off their gasoline tanks and instead take just as much gasoline as they'll need to get to a local shelter, so that there is gasoline left for others to have some so that they can also evacuate.

So I was sitting here reading some posts on cruise critic, and something dawned on me. We have alot of very experienced cruisers and some not so much. I got to thinking about all the things on all my cruises that have annoyed me about fellow cruisers and all the things I have learned to make sure I do. I had to wonder is it all just due to extremely poor manners or just inexperience others are not doing these things? I would like to think that most people are considerate and maybe just “don’t realize” what impact they have on others. Keeping in mind we are talking about a lot of people in a pretty confined space for days on end, I thought I would give my 2 cents worth to any newbie’s out there, or just plain oblivious people, about those things you need to think about when cruising on a Carnival vacation. Please join in!!

Don’t let you room door slam – this literally sends shockwaves through the walls of the room next to you and I can’t count how many times my head has bounced off the wall while watching TV from this – and it is VERY loud

Your voice carries! Please don’t stand in the hallway having extended conversations or walk down the hall yelling at the person 10 feet in front of you.

Please don’t carry on/off the ship more luggage than you can handle! I have been tripped at least 3 times because the 100 lb. lady in front of me dropped her 200 lb. suit case because she couldn’t manage it. And Ihave seen at least 10 times as many suit cases dropped over on someone else! If you can’t handle it, let theporters do it for you it's free! But always tip the help lol!

Please don’t cut in line! Everyone else has waited their turn to get to whatever it is, so should you! This is especially true for the buffet where you just got to get one more serving of that awesome whatever you had. Now I will be glad to step aside and let you grab that silverware/bowl/plate you forgot or even that pat of butter, but me and the 50 other people behind me have waited our turn at that food, and so should you – even if it is just one serving of just that one thing!

Don’t reuse a dirty plate, glass, etc. This REALLY is important. I don’t feel like spending my vacation in the 3x2 bathroom because you decided to put the glass you drank out of back under the dispenser and get some more lemonade. Always grab a clean vessel for any food. This applies to those of us, like me, who like to bring their own Tervis, or other such glass. Always use a clean glass they provide and fill it, then fill yours!

PLEASE use the hand sanitizer before you start eating! Same thing as above! Unless you JUST washed your hands and didn’t touch anything, I really don’t want your germs on my hands too!

PLEASE, please, please mind your children. This is coming from someone that has cruised with kids before and now does not. I know you are on vacation, and so are they – but so are the other 2000 people onboard with you! We should not have to deal with your kids because you are not. I don’t want to stop at every single floor in the elevator, when the one I step into mysteriously has all the buttons lit up. I don’t want to eat out of that tray of food they just picked up something out of with their bare fingers and threw it back in! I don’t want to be plowed down in the hallway as they run wild.

Don’t leave your garbage/dirt dishes/etc. all over. Come on people! There are proper places everywhere on the ship you can hand these items off at. It is gross to get in an elevator and see your ½ eaten slice of pizza or knock over that glass of whatever you didn’t finish.

Do remember to thank those that serve you, and praise the people taking care of you! They work sohard and they are not on vacation! A little respect and thoughtfulness goes a long way.

Do ask others for information. Watch for those Gold/Platinum(Silver)/Diamond (White) cards hanging around people’s necks. Almost all of us will be glad to talk cruising with you and give you the “inside” scoop on our best secrets. We love to share our insight and love of cruising with you!

If it is your first time on the ship, or cruising in general, grab a little fold out map right at the customer care desk… this will help you when you get lost lol! Also watch for ship diagrams right by the elevators.

Always read your Carnival fun times delivered to your room each night, this is where you can get a bunch of great info on things you might otherwise miss. This is usually the last thing I do at night before we settle in to go to sleep. There is also a “tear off” tab on one outside edge of the page that lists all the great highlights of activities for the day, this is perfect to slide into your pocket and carry around with you so you can make sure to be a part of all the great stuff that interests you.

Oh and finally - Don't try to smoke where you shouldn't. I have been woke up by a officer in uniform knocking at my door inquiring if we were smoking on our balcony because someone in our area was! I know it sucks that it is limited where you can smoke, but don't make others suffer for your attempts at "bending the rules." This goes for vaping too... you can only vape where you can smoke on board - not where ever it suits you.

This is my master list… anyone else with words of wisdom please join in!

Everything you said above I say ditto to that! We're thinking about cutting back on cruising, it may be burn out from dealing with everything above. I'd like to add one pet peeve to the list, passengers licking their fingers then go back to the buffet to handle the serving spoons. I sat across from a young woman who was working her fingers out in her mouth. I finally said something to her, I did not care about her reaction or if I hurt her feelings. It was just plain nasty.

I have read on a few threads that you can use your boarding pass to add your drinks to your S&S account before you get your card.

This is true. Also, people are worried that their cards might be stolen out of the mailbox and someone would run up charges on it. Thing is, when you use your card or boarding pass to buy something, your picture appears on the screen. So, unless the thief looks alot like you, you should be safe....

Sent from my Galaxy 4

I'll second the slamming doors. Please just don't do it.

I'll add:

Please don't leave trays full of plates and half eaten food in the hallways. Not only is it unpleasant to see and smell, it makes it difficult to walk down the hall and it makes it especially hard for drunk people to walk down the hall. It's really not fun to be woken up in the middle of the night to the sounds of breaking dishes, bodies hitting the wall on the way down to the floor, and then laughing or crying.

Please don't bring your diaper clad baby or toddler into a pool, hot tub, or splash area unless it is a dedicated diaper area. The rule is in place to prevent the spread of illnesses. Similarly, if you are an adult, please don't wear an adult diaper/liner in the pools or hot tub, and if you are drink and need to pee, get out and use a bathroom. Don't pee in the pool/hot tub.

Carnival specifically asks you to leave your tray in the hallway. This dead horse has been beaten. It's their boat, they make the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my biggest pet peeve is something i see at home everywhere and that is:

Step to the side, let the other people get off the elevator first then get on the elevator. it makes getting on/off the elevator quicker for everyone

Hallelujah and Amen! My pet peeve also!!

My mom is in a wheelchair and sister on a scooter. We have spent a lot of time waiting for elevators because the able bodied people who rush in front of us. We can be standing right in front of the elevator, but get pushed aside. We either see incredibly rude people or incredibly nice people who help us.

1) I you are able bodied, take the stairs (especially if it is only one or two flights)

2) If you see someone struggling with their 150 pound suitcase...offer to help cause it's the nice thing to do. You may just make a new friend or at least make someone's day.

1) I you are able bodied, take the stairs (especially if it is only one or two flights)

2) If you see someone struggling with their 150 pound suitcase...offer to help cause it's the nice thing to do. You may just make a new friend or at least make someone's day.

Agreed!

The only time I didn't take the stairs was when my shoes were hurting my feet (on elegant night) and when I'd tweaked my bad knee one day. On elegant night I was waiting for the elevator along with a lovely lady on a scooter. When the doors opened she actually told me to go on ahead of her. I did and I held the "open door" button on the elevator so she could actually back onto the elevator which made it easier for her to get off when we got to our destination. She thanked me profusely and commented she wished everyone would do the same. (I wish more people knew about the "Open door" button on elevators)

Agree with all of these. :) Especially the smoking on the balcony.

I'll add on - please don't play music on your balcony. I get it, I would like music on my balcony too, especially when I sail with friends and we open the divider. But we're not the only ones out there and not everyone likes our music. :P So please use headphones. I don't want to listen to your music blaring away, with you trying to sing [badly I might add;p] along with it. :rolleyes:

Edited by cruisin*tigger

Sorry...but I will never use hand sanitizer.

Great, way to think about others with your germs and sickness all over the buffet area, the door handles and anythings else you touch. I know you are not in the bathroom washing your hands 24/7 to fight against the possibility of spreading something, it is not possible to actually be washing your hands that much while on the ship. I am sure you will tell us all about sanitizer not being useful and blah, blah, blah and how you rebel against it is at least an attempt to reduce things being spread. You cannot count on people to wash their hands continually or at all in the bathroom.

Sorry, But I will also never use hand sanitizer. I , like most people my age I suspect, was taught to "wash up" before every meal. 50+ years later, I still visit the restroom and wash my hands with SOAP & WATER before every meal. I do the same on a cruise ship. It is quite "possible"

Great, way to think about others with your germs and sickness all over the buffet area, the door handles and anythings else you touch. I know you are not in the bathroom washing your hands 24/7 to fight against the possibility of spreading something, it is not possible to actually be washing your hands that much while on the ship. I am sure you will tell us all about sanitizer not being useful and blah, blah, blah and how you rebel against it is at least an attempt to reduce things being spread. You cannot count on people to wash their hands continually or at all in the bathroom.

Sorry, But I will also never use hand sanitizer. I , like most people my age I suspect, was taught to "wash up" before every meal. 50+ years later, I still visit the restroom and wash my hands with SOAP & WATER before every meal. I do the same on a cruise ship. It is quite "possible"

I can't use the sanitizer as it inflames my Eczema causing my skin to peel and flake off. I've gotten hate looks from many a passenger but would you rather have my flaking skin in your buffet food?

Step to the side, let the other people get off the elevator first then get on the elevator. it makes getting on/off the elevator quicker for everyone

Oh my gosh, one of my biggest pet peeves. Thanks!

Honestly, I have very rarely found anything on board from fellow guests annoying enough to think twice about. In general I find the other passengers and crew pleasant and happy, everyone just there to have a good time.

Of course, if you are a person who is looking for things to be critical of, I'm sure you won't have a problem finding things. Not just on the ship, but in life too.

And in a way that could be a breach of etiquette, itself.

its all personal right? What would annoy me might not annoy you, and vice versa. My only issue is I worry sometimes that if a new cruiser reads alot of threads, they would have maybe a poor view of fellow cruisers.

I really have had so few times a fellow cruiser has bothered me, they arent worth reporting. Seems to me the cruises I have been on everyone is there to have a blast!

j

I also will never use hand sanitizer. Since I stopped using sanitizer, I have hardly had any colds.

I DO wash my hands right before and after every meal.

OMG!! I think some feel like the have to RUSH the door as soon as there is the slightest inkling that the door is opening!! STOP IT!!

Agree with all of these. :) Especially the smoking on the balcony.

I'll add on - please don't play music on your balcony. I get it, I would like music on my balcony too, especially when I sail with friends and we open the divider. But we're not the only ones out there and not everyone likes our music. :P So please use headphones. I don't want to listen to your music blaring away, with you trying to sing [badly I might add;p] along with it. :rolleyes:

We always book balcony cabins so we can listen to the ocean, NOT music.

How do they manage charging for drinks if you don't have a Sail and sign card?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your boarding pass bar code is scanned. I was worried about that also, but it worked out fine. If you preorder your Cheers package the bartenders/waiters are made aware of it when they scan your boarding pass. If you purchase after you board adjustments are made to your sign sail. Those that are concerned about their SnS being taken and used, relax, your face comes up on the screen when your SnS or your boarding pass is scanned. [emoji4]Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums