Rhine water levels 2017 and similar topics

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:34 AM.
Rhine, Germany
2,069 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
That's bad to say the least. When I say storms I actually mean a very light breeze compared to what is happening in the Carribean, if one may dare compare. Safe journey.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
Rhine, Germany
2,069 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
A storm of the stronger autumn type hit the Rhineland during the night, it woke me up but all the roof tiles seem to be still there and all trees are standing around my part of the town. We do not really have hurricanes... The warning category 3 (it can get up to 4) is in place for the hills Northeast of Basel, Eastnortheast of Strasbourg (over the Rhine in the Black Forest that is), Heidelberg and the whole North of Germany along the coast including Hamburg.

Looking out of the window one would not think so... it is sunny but the unsettled weather feeling is there, one knows the next gust of wind is lurking round the corner.

Hope all is well - or if not, getting better and that help is on its way - over the big pond.

To ease the tension about weather here is a story of perseverance, endurance, unhurriedness - or laziness, or just plain loss of interest . How to take your time when building large structures: http://www.dw.com/en/5-buildings-you...ild/a-19402414

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
592 Posts
Joined May 2005
Notamermaid... our place in Fl. Is ok unfortunately many places are devastated..no power for a few weeks but we will deal with it when we return from our river cruise. Monitoring alerts about rain and wind on the Rhine... I keep throwing warmer clothes in suitcase... Don't mind a shower but not torrential rain.. Do you see any improvement on the horizon? We leave Friday...for Amsterdam...😬
Rhine, Germany
2,069 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
I am afraid the weather forecast for the next four days shows unsettled weather conditions with rain on and off, showers with occasional thunderstorms and cool temperatures. It looks as if these conditions will stay with us into next week. The upper Rhine valley will get more rain (in total amount) than the middle or lower Rhine valley over the next four days. I found the wind quite cool this morning.

Water levels are fine. I hope the upper Rhine valley can cope with the amount of rain. If there is wideswept rain in the lower Alps, the Black Forest and the Vosges mountains at the same time it might be too much and the Rhine rises quickly. But as I said all is fine right now, levels are staying put or only rising very slightly. To give you an idea of what I mean: Maxau near Karlsruhe is at 486cm right now. The level nearly scraped the flooding mark I of 620cm (meaning slowed down, but not halted traffic) on 3 September after torrential rain. It has been falling in a sort of steadily fashion since then, till it started rising again at midnight and with all the rain coming down I expect the rise will continue. I will have a look tomorrow what the experts say on the official "info for citizens" website.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,069 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Beyond the standard ports... part 8

Next up in my series downstream from Engers would be Neuwied. The town is in the process of improving and restructuring its embankment creating a modern docking place. Due to some problems with the building contractor work was slowed down so they are behind schedule... and will have to wait till I revisit the situation at a later date.

So next is: Andernach

The small-ish town on the left bank of the Rhine is a Roman settlement with Celtic origins and has retained its medieval character with town wall remains and a nice market square. Some impressive finds have been unearthed in recent years that show the importance of the town in Roman times. Here is some info on the town: http://www.andernach.de/en/tourismus/tourismus.html Outside of town on a small island is the world's highest cold water geyser: https://www.geysir-andernach.de/?L=1

As regards location: Koblenz is at Rhine kilometre 591 and Andernach at 613.

Who stops there? Several German river cruise companies including Phoenix Reisen, Dutch companies and CroisiEurope on a few tours. Andernach is a stop for several ships chartered by UK tour operators and one company using the "Olympia" even has an itinerary starting in Andernach. Of non-European companies APT River Cruises (using the AmaWaterways fleet) stops there on its long itinerary crossing Europe, for the exclusive evening excursion at Namedy castle, which is nearby.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,069 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
The "Hochwasserportal" for Germany, with excellent regional information on water levels shows for Maxau 502cm right now. The prediction is for slightly rising, falling and then rising water levels again. No significant level for flooding is predicted for the next 7 days.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,069 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
The Rhine water levels show a significant drop compared to four days ago. Prediction is for stagnating or slightly falling levels. Depending on rainfall a slight rise inbetween is possible as well. Very good for sailing right now as it is neither low nor high anywhere. It is raining on and off and chilly, especially in the mornings. Autumn is here and the first leaves are turning red and yellow.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover