Mexico cruise (closed loop) with passport expires in 5 months

aprilsp88

Hi,

Does passport needs to be valid for 6 months for a closed loop mexico cruise?

It seems mexico has no such requirement (google result), is it true? How about Princess or the port authority at San Pedro LA?

I want to renew the passport, but I worry not able to get passport soon enough as the cruise is approaching.

Thanks,

April

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure it's either an original or certified copy of your birth certificate and not just a photo copy.

Mexico does actually have the requirement that a passport be valid six months or more if traveling by air or land, but for a cruise, no problem, you'll be fine. You can actually use a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise.

Mexico does actually have the requirement that a passport be valid six months or more if traveling by air or land, but for a cruise, no problem, you'll be fine. You can actually use a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise.

Actually Mexico only requires your passport be valid upon entry (US passport holders).

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

Actually Mexico only requires your passport be valid upon entry (US passport holders).

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

What the regulations say and what actually happens can be two different things. Depends on the mood of the immigration officer that day. I can only tell you what I've been told by those that experienced it. Best advice, just renew your passport, why wait.

What the regulations say and what actually happens can be two different things. Depends on the mood of the immigration officer that day. I can only tell you what I've been told by those that experienced it. Best advice, just renew your passport, why wait.

The only time you interact with an immigration official is on the way back. So not sure where you would run into an issue with an immigration officer making any decision that would negatively impact you. The problem is upon checkin with the cruiseline, if you are going to a country that has a 6 month requirement they could deny you boarding. Since Mexico has no such requirement there is no issue.

The only time you interact with an immigration official is on the way back. So not sure where you would run into an issue with an immigration officer making any decision that would negatively impact you. The problem is upon checkin with the cruiseline, if you are going to a country that has a 6 month requirement they could deny you boarding. Since Mexico has no such requirement there is no issue.

I'm not necessarily talking about check in with a cruise line. I am aware of people coming in on a land vacation that have been denied entry because their passport had less then six months remaining. I read the link provided and will pass it along. Perhaps the denial was due to the fact that you are issued a six month visa when coming in on land.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I travelled last March on Princess and my passport was set to expire in about 5 1/2 months. I grabbed that and my birth certificate and marriage license. They used my passport both when I checked in and when I came back through customs. I had no issue. Renewed that as soon as I got back, now I am good for 9 1/2 years.

Candi

I don't know why folks pass on stories told to them second hand by others instead of reading the actual regulations.

You don't come into contact with Mexican immigration officials at all on your cruise. NO one checks your passport when getting off the ship in Mexican ports.

Even when traveling by air to Mexico if you are a USA citizen there are NO 6month requirements! That's it! Rules do not depend on the "mood" of the immigration official.