Crystal Changes Itinerary of River Ship's Maiden Cruise

LauraS

"The revised shore excursions are now on the PCPC (but not on the website). Unfortunately I cannot read the full descriptions of the newly added ones as I get error messages when I click on the links. I sure hope I have not signed up for any with supplemental charges."

I had the same concerns and therefore spoke with someone from the river cruise team at Crystal. She apologized for the error messages that you and I have been getting regarding the excursion descriptions. She specifically stated that all new tours added since the itinerary change are complimentary. However, as I look through the excursions, I see that "Lucerne Discovery & Mt. Pilatus Summit," for example, does have a fee of 149 euro, but that is one of the excursions that doesn't have an error message. I would hope that if we sign up for an excursion without the ability to see if there is a fee, we would be able to cancel that excursion once on board.

My impression from dealing with Crystal regarding this cruise is that they are quite eager to make everything right. I wouldn't worry too much about signing up for these excursions. My hunch is that once onboard we will be able to talk to the excursion coordinator and cancel any excursions that were ambiguously described regarding fees.

Great news! I still don't see any updates regarding the Mahler on the vesselfinder site since September 7, so I appreciate the information you provide here. Let us know when she gets into Amsterdam.

Thanks!

I suspect you may be looking at the old MMSI number for the Mahler, it changed when she was formally handed over.

Try this link - https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=248380000

She safely passed by Terschelling about an hour ago and appears to be heading straight for Amsterdam (or possibly Harlingen) at a good speed.

My impression from dealing with Crystal regarding this cruise is that they are quite eager to make everything right. I wouldn't worry too much about signing up for these excursions. My hunch is that once onboard we will be able to talk to the excursion coordinator and cancel any excursions that were ambiguously described regarding fees.

Unless things have changed since I was onboard the Mozart last year the excursion procedure is much less structured than it is on the ocean ships. They only document and ticket the additional charge excursions, the complimentary ones are very felxible. I had a record of those I had selected (all complimentary) but there were no tickets just notification in the daily activities sheet of what time each excursion left and what number guide or bus to go to. There were no headcounts, it was entirely up to you to be there at the appointed time, or not if you change your mind..

Anne...

It's interesting that she just arrived in Amsterdam, eight days prior to the inaugural embarkation. Wasn't it speculated that the reason for altering the itinerary away from its initial Budapest embarkation was that it would take several extra days to get the ship down the Rhine to Budapest, and they didn't think they had enough time for that?

Maybe they just wanted to be safe and didn't want to cut it too close, but the compensation that they paid as a result of the change was pretty hefty.

Not long to go now till her inaugural cruise on the 30th and I am sure the passengers very much looking forward to their (changed) itinerary. She was handed over in a ceremony last week in Wismar, by the way: http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/crystal-cruises-christens-new-riverboat.html

notamermaid

Mahler is scheduled to leave Grave later today and arrive in Amsterdam early tomorrow morning.

She has been doing short test runs out of Grave for the last few days so it looks like all is ready for the maiden voyage.

Best wishes to everyone who will be sailing on her tomorrow.

Sounds really good Mark_T, thank you for following her on her "first steps" in the water.

I will look out for her on marinetraffic, perhaps I can catch a glimpse if I am close to the river at the right time.

Best wishes to her and her passengers.

notamermaid

I'll sign off from my 'Mahler tracking' now, she is well on her way back to Amsterdam and should easily make it by the scheduled time of 6am.

Depending on exactly where she moors, there are a couple of webcams in Amsterdam that may catch sight of her, but the journey to begin her first cruise is all but over now.

I hope everyone due to board tomorrow have a smooth journey as well and a fantastic cruise.

Can't seem to let this one go, especially since there doesn't seem to be anyone reporting from this cruise at the moment.

After Arnhem yesterday, Mahler arrived in Cologne this morning, but it looks like Crystal are not managing to get the better docking locations, possibly just a result of the late planning of this particular cruise, but I wouldn't be overjoyed to be moored so far from the Dom and on the 'wrong' side of the river in the more industrial area adjacent to where they have ended up, while AMA and Viking got the better locations.

I know I could do the research myself. Does anyone know offhand, is the Mahler any larger than the "longships?"

My other thought is, should the new kids on the block expect to go to the head of the line when it comes to docking?

Since I believe that the longships are designed to be as long, wide and high as possible and still get through the locks and under bridges, I would say that the Mahler can't be any bigger. It has fewer cabins, and presumably more public spaces (unless the cabins take up the extra space), but isn't bigger.

Crystal's Bach/Mahler and the Viking Longships have the same length.

The interesting ratio is the passenger/crew ratios

Crystal Mahler/Bach

Total berths: 106

Length: 442 feet/135 meters

Width: 37.5 feet/11.5 meters

Crew: 68

Crystal Mozart

Total berths: 154

Length: 120.44 meter/395 feet

Width: 22.85 meter/75 feet

Crew: 92

Viking Longships

Total berths: 190

Length: 443 feet/135 meters

Width: 37 feet/11.25 meters

Crew: 50

Since I believe that the longships are designed to be as long, wide and high as possible and still get through the locks and under bridges, I would say that the Mahler can't be any bigger. It has fewer cabins, and presumably more public spaces (unless the cabins take up the extra space), but isn't bigger.

Correct gnome12, they are built to the largest possible specifications, I mean what the authorities will allow for river cruise ships - and to fit into locks - on the major European waterways, that is the Rhine, the Danube and a couple of others. The Mozart is the exception for width but that means she can only sail the stretch on the Danube with the wider locks.

notamermaid

Quote CPTTrips: "My other thought is, should the new kids on the block expect to go to the head of the line when it comes to docking?"

No, unless they own the landing stage themselves. And as the towns are so busy and full of docking locations those would be more out of town than close to the favoured area (on the Rhine at least) if they had it built now. The Crystal Mahler is currently (13.25 GMT+2) docked in Koblenz on the Moselle not on the Rhine, as well as the MS William Shakespeare and the Rhine Princess. Before you think that this is not better than Viking on the Rhine, let me assure you that in Koblenz at least there are very good spots on both rivers. I for myself actually prefer the embankment on the Moselle close to the Balduin bridge and the "Alte Burg", one of the oldest buildings in town, i.e. where the Mahler is now. But the landing stage constructions on the Rhine are more comfortable for tired legs, it is the only reason I would favour such a position unless one wanted to insist that the prime spot is at the station for the cable car. Then, yes, Viking sort of has got the prime spot.

In short: "All are equal before the harbour master" unless a company owns a private location.

notamermaid

I'm aboard the Mahler now, on day #5 of our 16-day itinerary. I just wrote a detailed review of the cruise to date here, but somehow it disappeared.

Very briefly, this cruise is extraordinary. The ship, the service and the food are unbelievably good. The best words to describe the cruise so far are luxurious, classy, pampering, and relaxing. Even the excursions, which had to be arranged at short notice, have been great.

Thanks to Mark_T, notamermaid and JonKen3 for their valuable insights prior to this cruise,

I'll write a detailed review when I get back.