Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old January 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphins
Does anybody have a link to Spirit's web-cam?
There is no webcam on the Spirit

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Now admittedly, I am not the most thorough person, but I have been checking the following for info

MSN, NY Times, Cruise Critic News, Cruise Diva, Cruise News Daily, Maritime Matters, AOL News, and NCL.com

and I still see nothing about the SPIRIT being damaged.

Did something really happen? I am sure it will not dirupt the voyages, but I am still interested. Especially since I leave on the SPIRIT on the 29th.

I know after the DAWN incident she never stopped cruising, so I am confident that if something happened the SPIRIT would keep on chugging. But, NCL had a statement up pretty quickly.

~Intrepid.

07/14/84 SS NORWAY - Philadelphia – Nowhere-V064
07/08/00 SS NORWAY - Miami - Eastern-V007
02/17/01 SS NORWAY - Miami - Eastern-P041
04/21/02 SS NORWAY - Miami - Eastern-S002
11/09/03 NORWEGIAN SKY - San Juan - Southern-0067
02/19/05 CARNIVAL TRIUMPH – Miami - Western-7416
01/29/06 NORWEGIAN SPIRIT - New York - Southern-9000
06/17/06 NORWEGIAN SPIRIT - New York - Nowhere-11527
10/06/06 EXPLORER OF THE SEAS – Bayonne - Eastern-1289
02/06/08 NORWEGIAN GEM - New York – Eastern-11152
08/21/10 NORWEGIAN EPIC – Miami - Western-11268
05/25/13 NORWEGIAN GEM - New York - Bahamas/Florida-11152

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by intrepid_guy; January 19th, 2006 at 12:52 PM.

Old January 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just off the Spirit and yes, its true

We just got home from the 1/8 sailing and we did hit extremely rough weather. We went back to our cabin on deck 5 portside at about 5:00 yesterday (Wednesday) and encountered winds in the hallway, with all kinds of ships personnel, so we kind of guessed at what had happened. The seas were listed on the TV ship info at about 27 to 42 foot waves and the captain eventually came on and said the winds were about 75 mph. We did have waves breaking over the top of our window, and it definitely took out one of the cabins, about 10 further aft from us. That was the only one we knew of, but the captain in his announcement said windows, so I guess there were other rooms affected too. I also heard there was damage on deck 6, and to the Garden Restaurant. I didn't hear of any passengers hurt, but I did see a crew member who was hurt apparently while trying to replace the window. A few minutes later I spoke to my next cabin neighbor who said that another wave had hit the area, water sloshed into the hallway, and that was when the crew member got hurt. Just to give you an idea, the room tv was one of the first things removed from the room, apparently thrown off the wall, and dripping water when I saw it.

As we were preparing to disembark, they were still tearing apart the room, I guess to rebuild it before tonight's sailing, and I spoke to someone who was in a suite on deck 11. They had a lot of damage due to the rolling of the seas, the entertainment center came down, and stuff got thrown all over.

The rough seas and winds started as soon as we left the last port of call, and abated only for one night. So it was a rough ride down, and a rougher ride up. Ahh, winter in the North Atlantic. If I could have printed them up on the spot I would have paid for my cruise by selling t-shirts, "I survived the Norwegian Spirit".

The seas notwithstanding, we did enjoy the cruise, the food and the entertainment (which started out real slow, but improved greatly as we went on).

Larry
Norwegian Spirit January 8, 2006
Carnival Miracle September 11, 2011
Waiting - Carnival Splendor October 16, 2013

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman2002
We just got home from the 1/8 sailing and we did hit extremely rough weather. We went back to our cabin on deck 5 portside at about 5:00 yesterday (Wednesday) and encountered winds in the hallway, with all kinds of ships personnel, so we kind of guessed at what had happened. The seas were listed on the TV ship info at about 27 to 42 foot waves and the captain eventually came on and said the winds were about 75 mph. We did have waves breaking over the top of our window, and it definitely took out one of the cabins, about 10 further aft from us. That was the only one we knew of, but the captain in his announcement said windows, so I guess there were other rooms affected too. I also heard there was damage on deck 6, and to the Garden Restaurant. I didn't hear of any passengers hurt, but I did see a crew member who was hurt apparently while trying to replace the window. A few minutes later I spoke to my next cabin neighbor who said that another wave had hit the area, water sloshed into the hallway, and that was when the crew member got hurt. Just to give you an idea, the room tv was one of the first things removed from the room, apparently thrown off the wall, and dripping water when I saw it.

As we were preparing to disembark, they were still tearing apart the room, I guess to rebuild it before tonight's sailing, and I spoke to someone who was in a suite on deck 11. They had a lot of damage due to the rolling of the seas, the entertainment center came down, and stuff got thrown all over.

The rough seas and winds started as soon as we left the last port of call, and abated only for one night. So it was a rough ride down, and a rougher ride up. Ahh, winter in the North Atlantic. If I could have printed them up on the spot I would have paid for my cruise by selling t-shirts, "I survived the Norwegian Spirit".

The seas notwithstanding, we did enjoy the cruise, the food and the entertainment (which started out real slow, but improved greatly as we went on).

Larry
OMG!42 FOOT?WE HAD 30 TWO WEEKS AGO AND THAT'S WAS BAD ,BUT 42? WHAT WAS YOUR CABIN #?

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I forgot to mention that we went to eat, and then to the final show, and when we came back to the room the window had a metal plate over it. This morning as I was leaving I did check another room all the way forward and it had a plate over the window too.

Larry

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in cabin 5572. The affected cabin that I knew of was 5602. Others were evacuated, but I don't know how bad their cabins were.

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We were in cabin 5572. The affected cabin that I knew of was 5602. Others were evacuated, but I don't know how bad their cabins were.
I SAID TO MYSELF NO MORE CRUISES FROM NY ,WHEN WE CAME BACK 2 WEEKS AGO,ITS JUST PROOVED MY POINT NOW

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I SAID TO MYSELF NO MORE CRUISES FROM NY ,WHEN WE CAME BACK 2 WEEKS AGO,ITS JUST PROOVED MY POINT NOW

Old January 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM
5,000+ Club

Default On Local Noon TV News

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid_guy
Now admittedly, I am not the most thorough person, but I have been checking the following for info

MSN, NY Times, Cruise Critic News, Cruise Diva, Cruise News Daily, Maritime Matters, AOL News, and NCL.com

and I still see nothing about the SPIRIT being damaged.

Did something really happen? I am sure it will not dirupt the voyages, but I am still interested. Especially since I leave on the SPIRIT on the 29th.

I know after the DAWN incident she never stopped cruising, so I am confident that if something happened the SPIRIT would keep on chugging. But, NCL had a statement up pretty quickly.

~Intrepid.
It was reported on the CBS & ABC noon TV news here in New York. They interviewed passengers who said about 4 cabins were damaged. It was reported that NCL would be giving the passengers in the damaged cabins a free future cruise. One passenger said he was an old sailor and it was no big deal. My kind of guy. It certainly won't discourage me from making all my future cruises out of New York.

Old January 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphins
It was reported on the CBS & ABC noon TV news here in New York. They interviewed passengers who said about 4 cabins were damaged. It was reported that NCL would be giving the passengers in the damaged cabins a free future cruise. One passenger said he was an old sailor and it was no big deal. My kind of guy. It certainly won't discourage me from making all my future cruises out of New York.
My boss just got back from the Spirit today - said it was really a rough ride - damage to ship. Hope to hear more later today. Must have been a lot of scared cruisers. Hopefully it won't affect future bookings from first time cruisers - never experienced anything even close to these seas on any of my cruises.
Volendam Southern Caribbean Cruise 11/05
Solstice Inaugural Caribbean Cruise 11/23/08
Maasdam New England/Canadian Cruise 8/29/09
Eclipse Caribbean Cruise 11/20/10

Old January 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Gee, I wonder if the sharks (oooppps, I mean lawyers) are lining up at the pier for this one.. What, another rogue wave situation, perhaps?

Old January 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Representatives for the cruise line said that rough weather is typical this time of year, and the passengers in the four damaged cabins will receive a credit for a future cruise.

Broken windows 2nd time,on the same cruise line? is this typical too?Is any others cruise line had same problem ever?

Old January 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

What a shame, it's a good thing that nobody was seriously hurt. It sounds frightening for those in the damaged cabins (other than the ex-sailor).

This could have happened to any line sailing the same course, but it is a shame that this will be the 2nd time for NCL.

Old January 19th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Goldenbonny,

Please remember that is a news report you are reading.

I spoke to the woman who had a room that was breeched, she was upset that everything was ruined, but she was not frantic (nor was she wet). I also saw an old man (yes, he was old and frail) whose luggage was being taken away and his concern was that they would forward the luggage to his new room for the night. Most of us just looked on at the repairs being made, and then went in and got dressed for dinner. The final variety show was pretty well attended, no life jackets visible. I didn't hear any screams, although I was at the crew variety show at the actual time of the first wave hitting. I was down on deck 5 less than 15 minutes later, and observed NO frantic behavior at all. And we did get two additional waves while I was down there, and heard no screaming, although I did see the injured crewmember. I did hear that someone was walking about in a life jacket, but I didn't see them.

Was it rough? Yes, very, but it is the North Atlantic in winter, and as someone else said, they sailed several times at this time of year in totally calm waters.

Would I sail on NCL again? Yes. Would I sail on the Spirit or the Dawn, Yes. Would I sail in January again? Probably not. But, in 2003 we sailed out of NYC in Sept in a hurricane. Had one rough day, and the rest was absolutely gorgeous. This was worse than actually sailing in a hurricane. And from what I understand, it was pretty bad on land during the same period of time, with winds up to 60 mph, and trees coming down etc.

And believe it or not, I know of two families on this Spirit cruise who were on the Dawn cruise that got hit. I'm definitely tracking their next cruise, and staying away from it. (joking)

Just book your next cruise, and enjoy thinking about the great time you'll have.

Larry

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default just off the spirit

i was in cabin 4519 inside towards front of ship. my father was visiting us when that wave hit. he ended up losing his balance and ended up on all fours on top of bed. i laughed it off until some alarm went off by a water door near our cabin. captain made announcement about damage and change of course to north east. we also hit rough seas just out of tortola.these waves were differnt than yesterdays. the waves yesterday were causing the ship to list (side to side). captain said he changed course to avoid storm i suspect he changed it to avoid any more damage. (so the waves would hit the back ship). dont think the ship will leave today on time. witnessed flooding on stairwell between decks 4and 5. electrical burning odor in that area aslo. also rumors heard other damage throughout ship from broken bar bottles to dishes going over in raffles etc.

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMatt
What a shame, it's a good thing that nobody was seriously hurt. It sounds frightening for those in the damaged cabins (other than the ex-sailor).

This could have happened to any line sailing the same course, but it is a shame that this will be the 2nd time for NCL.
Amen, Matt. Nicely put!
NCL Jewel 2/12 and 3/13 Florida & Bahamas
NCL Star 10/12 Bermuda
NCL Gem 1/14 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Epic 3/14 Western Caribbean

UP NEXT: Getaway Eastern, Epic Western & Breakaway Bermuda!

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

The problem is the route it is too unpredictable to sail from NY in the winter. It's only a matter of time before one these cruise ships capsizes.
(IMHO)

I dont know the diferences between an ocean liner and a cruise ship but I do recall somebody on these boards saying the cruise ships were not build for these rough sailings

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

The "burning odor" was the welding equipment being used to secure the window(s) that were breeched. And yes, water that came in the hallway will go down stairs, and did.

The ship may not leave on time today, but as my wife said, we didn't leave on time on Jan 8th either.

Just looked at Channel 7 news, and they said people were walking around in a daze, I didn't see any.

Someone I knew from a cruise critic board said they were interviewed separately by the news, and both said it was no big thing, they said the news reporters moved on disappointed. I guess they wanted what they wanted quickly, not to drag it out. Here is the link:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...=1#post5581071

Just checked, and at 5:21 pm the ship is still in dock. As it was 11 days ago.

Larry

When did anyone last hear of a ship capsizing? Isn't that a little extreme?

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM
5,000+ Club

At 5:18 she started pulling away from the pier. She's now just about turned into the current, and away she'll go!

I wish everyone onboard a great trip with smooth seas and lots of that big yellow ball in the sky!
NCL Jewel 2/12 and 3/13 Florida & Bahamas
NCL Star 10/12 Bermuda
NCL Gem 1/14 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Epic 3/14 Western Caribbean

UP NEXT: Getaway Eastern, Epic Western & Breakaway Bermuda!

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

glad to see the spirit leave just a few minutes ago. good point foil about the welding. just want to say i really enjoyed the entire cruise. i also did not witness any panic nor did i feel that i was in any danger at any time.