What is there to do in Cannes?

tampafish

plan is being ammended....it is only that way because I have no idea...

so nice first A.M. antebes P.M.

as for dinner that night, well I know how expensive it is in cannes so we will get a drink or dessert in some fancy hotel while we star watch....

also I have found out that during film festival there are films shown on the beach in late evening.....so I will research that as well for May 15...

Sounds like a nice plan - perhaps have a nice lunch in either Nice or Antibes. Antibes also has a little covered market that stays open until about 1 p.m (not as big as Nice's) as a food market. There's a crafts market after 3. And a kind scummy flea market in the center of town that's still fun to people watch.

For one thing, Nice is about 4 times the size of Cannes! Nice happens to have several excellent museums including the Chagall and a art history museum. Nice also has its charming old town area with its amazing morning Flower Market. On the other hand, where Nice has a rocky beach...Cannes has real sand. I am thinking that to say that Nice and Cannes are alike is to say that Paris and Lyon are alike.

I think about the only thing these two cities have in common are they are both on the same sea, both have walkways along the sea, and both have cafes (as does every other city in France.

So where I am wrong?

Hank

Hi Hank - You're not wrong in any respect ! Cannes is not a bad place at all, and no doubt has some stunning restaurants, but having spent an hour there and 5 at Nice I would say the best thing about it is that you can take a train to Nice (or anywhere else). From the point of view of things to do and see, and general ambience there's no comparison.

[YOUTUBE]OXW5R66Td2o[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]gO4Luc3h41k[/YOUTUBE]

Hi Hank - You're not wrong in any respect ! Cannes is not a bad place at all, and no doubt has some stunning restaurants, but having spent an hour there and 5 at Nice I would say the best thing about it is that you can take a train to Nice (or anywhere else). From the point of view of things to do and see, and general ambience there's no comparison.

Well, I tip my hat to anyone that can form an informed opinion on a city of over 70,000 souls in a whole hour! For us, it does take a little longer :). By the way, we have been to St Ives, but since it was a short stay I really do not have much to say.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank,

We are in Cannes in May during the film festival, trying to decide if we stay in Cannes, visit Monte Carlo, which is having the Grand Prix that weekend or if we should visit Nice instead. I am loath to sit in traffic or wait in lines due to these events. What do you suggest?

Hank,

We are in Cannes in May during the film festival, trying to decide if we stay in Cannes, visit Monte Carlo, which is having the Grand Prix that weekend or if we should visit Nice instead. I am loath to sit in traffic or wait in lines due to these events. What do you suggest?

We are not great fans of Monte Carlo but do understand that some are infatuated with the place. But we would not go to Monte Carlo on race day (unless you are a race fan any can buy tickets for reserved seats) because it will be a total zoo. Nice is always fine for those that like larger cities. But our favorite place in the region is St Paul de Vence which is a smallish hilltop walled town that has turned into a tourist town with some decent art shops, restaurants, etc. As to the Film Festival, although it does fill many of the best hotel rooms it is not a major problem for tourists. If you want to just do some exploring without the hassles of getting to St Paul de Vence....you could simply take the train to Nice, either walk or take a taxi over to the Flower Market, explore the old town and also stroll on the Promanade. If you still have lots of time you could take the same train back towards Cannes, but get off in Antibes and walk around the harbor area of that town.

As to St Paul de Vence (you can Google the place) the best way to get their is with a rental car or on a small private tour.

Hank

We have never been to Europe, the port time in Cannes is May 13 8am to 4pm May 14th. This is also the first two days of the Cannes film festival. Any advice?

Your biggest issue is the limited time you have in port. Assuming that your ship does arrive at 8, it could be nearly 10 until you get tendered ashore (depending on the tender operations of your ship). And the last tender will probably be at 3:30. Given the time situation we would recommend either spending your day in Cannes or taking a cruise line excursion (we do not like excursions, but it solves the problem of worrying about time). Who knows, if you simply browse some of the more expensive shops in Cannes you might see a Celebrity :)

Hank

We are planning to visit Cannes this July and will DIY. In addition to advice on cruise critic, I looked at tripadvisor dot com. Type in the city and it will list top restaurants, attractions, etc. After doing my research, this is our plan:

1.) Go to the market (Marche Forville)

2.) Mosey along Rue du Suquet, walk into shops, eat lunch

3.) Walk along the waterfront and look at the yahts, walk along the beach, and/or sit outside of a cafe and watch the world go by.

Cannes is our first port prior to a few intense days in Italy, so this will be one of our more laid-back days.

Sounds like a perfect day to me! Thanks for the planning advice. Please post back and let us know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

I have wanted to see the Fernand Leger Museum in Biot for many years now. As this is something of an "acquired" taste, no private excursions that I have found offer this option. I understand that Biot is only about 20 mins from Cannes, and so, it seems that one should be able to get there by taxi for something less than I have so far been quoted...$220(USD) RT for private transfer.

Does anyone have info on reliable Taxis in area?

I think it would be closer to a 30 min drive from the tender pier. Taxis do exist but are not cheap. You would probably need to hire one for the round trip and have them wait, which might cost you we'll over 120 Euros. We would simply rent a car for the day and then you. Old also visit some other places such as Antibes or eve St Paul de Vence (if you have a long port day).

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it would be closer to a 30 min drive from the tender pier. Taxis do exist but are not cheap. You would probably need to hire one for the round trip and have them wait, which might cost you we'll over 120 Euros. We would simply rent a car for the day and then you. Old also visit some other places such as Antibes or eve St Paul de Vence (if you have a long port day).

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much,Hank, for responding. I have rented an auto twice now in Europe, but both times were during land tours, not cruises. Even thou more economical, check-in and check-out were time consuming and the drives a bit stressful. Have been to Antibes and St Paul, so just trying to make this an easy excursion. Ah well, if I were guaranteed 120E, I would be happy.

We are in port 8AM to 6PM.

• 1 month later...
Wonderful videos! thanks so much.

If we want to take the train to Nice how far is it from the seaport. Is it walkable or are there cabs or buses that can take us there. I use a walker but can walk. Thanks for any info

Lynn

With a walker you would want to take a taxi to the train station in Cannes and to the old town once in Nice. As an alternative, the bus stops are much more central in each town - but would definitely be slower.

how far is the walk and also how much would a taxi be.

Lynn

If we want to take the train to Nice how far is it from the seaport. Is it walkable or are there cabs or buses that can take us there. I use a walker but can walk. Thanks for any info

Lynn

Hi Lynn

It's a mile from station - the sea front. The start of the Nice video in post 28 briefly shows a tram running down Avenue Jean Medecin. That is the road you take, and that tram could be picked up (from memory) about 250 yards from the station. I think that would cost about a euro. I don't know how much a taxi from the station is, but it can't be a fortune as it's such a quick trip. All the best, Tony

Hi Lynn

It's a mile from station - the sea front. The start of the Nice video in post 28 briefly shows a tram running down Avenue Jean Medecin. That is the road you take, and that tram could be picked up (from memory) about 250 yards from the station. I think that would cost about a euro. I don't know how much a taxi from the station is, but it can't be a fortune as it's such a quick trip. All the best, Tony

thanks load

Lynn

And, on the Cannes end it's about 3/4 mile walk from the port to train station. I don't know the cost of taxis on either side, but as Cornishpastyman said there is a tram on the Nice end that can take you into the tourist areas of Nice.

The journey by bus is about an hour and 1/2 to Nice. Another option might be just to go to Antibes by bus....it's only 1/2 hour and pickup and drop off in each town would be easier for someone with a walker. Here's a link to lignes 200 Cannes - Nice.

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes_FR/ligne%20200.pdf