Boyfriends Birth Certificate Does Not Match ID

melonigomez

Hi. My boyfriends birth certificate has a different last name than is drivers license and his mom never actually changed his name through the recorders office. Is this going to be an issue boarding on a 3 day princess cruise from Los Angeles, CA to Ensenada Mexico? We are leaving in less than 2 weeks are nervous now.

Yes, without a bridging document (a married woman might show her marriage license) to show that the BC and ID are for the same person, he has a problem. I would call carnival ASAP and find out what other documents he might be able to use. Apply for a passport, you can expedite the service for an additional fee. However, I am not even sure he would be able to get a passport using his current ID.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

Hi. My boyfriends birth certificate has a different last name than is drivers license and his mom never actually changed his name through the recorders office. Is this going to be an issue boarding on a 3 day princess cruise from Los Angeles, CA to Ensenada Mexico? We are leaving in less than 2 weeks are nervous now.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Melonigomez:)

It's remote but it could be a problem. Assuming that he is booked under the name on his drivers license he will not have problems with the ship. I'm also assuming that you have completed all your e-docs and have not had any problems.

Should he need to deal with the Mexican government is when a problem might arise. A drivers license might not be enough and if they wish to see a birth certificate things could get sticky.

When you come home encourage your BF to legally change his name and both of you should have passports.

Isn't both a drivers license and birth certificate required to board? Your post makes it sound like just the ID is required, I do not think that is correct information. OP, please call carnival. I would hate for you to show up at the port and be turned away.

Isn't both a drivers license and birth certificate required to board? Your post makes it sound like just the ID is required, I do not think that is correct information. OP, please call carnival. I would hate for you to show up at the port and be turned away.

Good point and you are right. I've never had to show my birth certificate because I have a passport. Have always been told that a drivers license was sufficient, but things have changed.

Yes. BC is used as proof of citizenship, and DL is used as proof of identification. So, both are required. Although, there are other acceptable documentation for both. Here is link to what Carnival recommends...

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-1394828

That's good. Now you need to talk to Princess about the situation with his birth certificate.

Why talk with Princess? This is a Homeland Security problem.

HE will need a Birth Certificate and a government ID that matches the name on the Birth certificate. The fastest why to correct is get a diver licensee or a state issues ID with the name on the Birth certificate. should have stated the process today.

i'm pretty sure those two documents need to match ...but I could be wrong.

the issue is the ship is not going to allow him to board if there is the slightest chance they would get into trouble with customs when they arrive back after the cruise.

i just now - like 10 minutes ago - applied for a replacement BC for our son for a cruise in December because his current BC has some kind of ink stain all over it.

I also told him to get his passport renewed...but at least i will have a new BC (trip is closed loop out of FLL).

A few years ago i had to go to China on short notice and my company paid a third party to expedite my passport renewal and visa application...expensive but i got both in about a week.

From https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)

Strange... How did he get a DL that isn't in his legal name in the first place....

Even getting a passport now may be tough because you need matching birth cert, drivers license, etc.

I agree with one of the posters above who said getting a new DL in his legal name may be the quickest fix before getting a legal name change and passport.

Strange... How did he get a DL that isn't in his legal name in the first place....

Even getting a passport now may be tough because you need matching birth cert, drivers license, etc.

I agree with one of the posters above who said getting a new DL in his legal name may be the quickest fix before getting a legal name change and passport.

Good question. How did he get a Driver's license?

I agree he should have his ID's straightened out and get a passport ASAP.

Hope he has no problem boarding or returning home and you have a great cruise.

Unfortunately, the people you call at Princess can give incorrect information, and I think with your situation this is the case. First, it's not US Customs who will have a problem, it's US Immigration that would have the problem as they are the ones who will be checking documents. Second, there have been numerous stories of how people have been denied boarding because their documents were not accepted. I've personally seen people being pulled out of line when trying to check in because they didn't have the correct papers. There's even been a couple of TV shows on cruising where they showed people being left because their documents weren't legal for cruising.

I have no idea how he was able to get a drivers license using the wrong name, but your only choice is to have him get a new license using the name on his birth certificate. AND he must make sure that the name on your cruise ticket is the same name as on his birth certificate--- if those names don't match, he won't be allowed on the ship, and you won't get a refund.

I have all the e-docs and he is booked under what is listed on his drivers license .

Did you read what is posted on the government WEB site?

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)

Bet he did not go to the DMV yesterday and get a new ID.

HE will not be allowed to board. Has nothing to do with Mexico. Mexico for cruise ports and within 50 miles of the boarder do not require any document. You need the documents to get back into the USA. But they will not let you board without the correct documents.

It is a big deal. And I bet he is doing nothing yet and its getting closer to not boarding.

Did you read what is posted on the government WEB site?

Bet he did not go to the DMV yesterday and get a new ID.

HE will not be allowed to board. Has nothing to do with Mexico. Mexico for cruise ports and within 50 miles of the boarder do not require any document. You need the documents to get back into the USA. But they will not let you board without the correct documents.

It is a big deal. And I bet he is doing nothing yet and its getting closer to not boarding.

People present documents all of the time that do not match, when we cleared Customs last cruise the CBP Officer didn't even comment that DW's name on her naturalization certificate was different than the name on her driver's license (and at boarding they didn't want to see the marriage certificate that we brought). Simply put there is nothing in the regulations that says that the birth certificate and the ID need to be in the same name.

People present documents all of the time that do not match, when we cleared Customs last cruise the CBP Officer didn't even comment that DW's name on her naturalization certificate was different than the name on her driver's license (and at boarding they didn't want to see the marriage certificate that we brought). Simply put there is nothing in the regulations that says that the birth certificate and the ID need to be in the same name.

You will of course guarantee that he boards and if not will give the OP back all the money?

It is common for a woman to have a different last name due to marriage. Most of the time they are not asked to produce the marriage license (bridge).

The OP's case is different. I belive he will have a problem.