Lisbon and Funchal or Canary Islands?

sjde

We are trying to decide between 2 repositioning cruises, one (Celebrity Equinox) stopping in Tenerife and the other (Emerald Princess) stopping in Lisbon and Funchal.

Is Funchal more lush/green?

These are all places we'd like to see and we'd love to someday be able to do both! But if we can only choose one....

I guess I would've expected that, since this is the board for Portugal ports, but I posted on the Spain ports board too and got the same response.

Just out of curiosity, how do the Azores compare with Madeira?

I've never been to Tenerife, Funchal or Lisbon (except to the latter, in which we got off the ship to go to the airport!) However, I will be in Funchal and Lisbon next month, along with two of the smaller Canary Islands. From what I hear, Tenerife is a pretty big place, so not as attractive as the islands we'll visit. Funchal is apparently pretty green, but of course, it's green for a reason. I would guess you should prepare for some mist and light rain during spring/fall. It looks to be a very nice place, however, with a good amount of time, especially for the shorter port calls that are so common for many cruises. You can also do a good amount of stuff on your own in the city, or join an inexpensive tour a bit outside of the city (views mostly, fishing town, etc.)

I'm really excited about going to Lanzarote (Arrecife) in the Canary Islands, as it has a park with many volcanoes and lunar landscape. It also has white villages. I don't think Tenerife has quite the same attractions, although I could be wrong.

I would definitely pick Lisbon (and Funchal) myself, based on what I've researched the past few months!

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...
I've never been to Tenerife, Funchal or Lisbon (except to the latter, in which we got off the ship to go to the airport!) However, I will be in Funchal and Lisbon next month, along with two of the smaller Canary Islands. From what I hear, Tenerife is a pretty big place, so not as attractive as the islands we'll visit. Funchal is apparently pretty green, but of course, it's green for a reason. I would guess you should prepare for some mist and light rain during spring/fall. It looks to be a very nice place, however, with a good amount of time, especially for the shorter port calls that are so common for many cruises. You can also do a good amount of stuff on your own in the city, or join an inexpensive tour a bit outside of the city (views mostly, fishing town, etc.)

I'm really excited about going to Lanzarote (Arrecife) in the Canary Islands, as it has a park with many volcanoes and lunar landscape. It also has white villages. I don't think Tenerife has quite the same attractions, although I could be wrong.

I would definitely pick Lisbon (and Funchal) myself, based on what I've researched the past few months!

Tenerife certainly has more to offer than Lanzarote (or Lanzagrotty as it is often called). You have Mt Teide and the Canadas National Park. Puerto De La Cruz is also quaint, and a lot of typical Canarian Monesteries. The south of the island is where the package tourist go and is hotelsville.

The only one not visited by us is Funchal, and we are headed there in September.

Did Lisbon two years ago, and are headed back this year. Plenty of history and people watching to do whilst taking a coffee and Pastel de Nata (Not or dieters).

I don't think you're wrong at at all. Tenerife is OK but Lanzarote is far better in terms of things to see, like the Timanfaya National park, Jameos del Agua, Mirador del Rio, the Cesar Manrique foundation. It has no high-rise buildings and I think it is by far the classiest of the major Canaries.

I've never been to Lisbon, but I really want to go. I've heard it's really nice.

We went to Funchal this Easter and it was a great port. The town is really clean and the cable car gave great views. A really nice place to just wander around.

We also did Lanzarote. We did a tour of the part where the volcanos were and that was interesting, but the rest of the island wasn't particularly attractive in my opinion. I don't have any urge to go back.

Not been to Tenerife either, but from what I've heard of it, it sounds ok but nothing great.

So, to answer the question, it would be Lisbon and Funchal without a doubt for me.

Edited by KeithJenner

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue... You asked how do the Azores compare to Madeira? I have been to both, the Azores 7 times and Madeira only once. They are similar, yet extremely different, with my preference the Azores! Madeira is lush with very steep hills everywhere, tunnels everywhere, and no grazing animals to be seen. The driving for me was scary, but it is a picturesque island. The island of Sao Miguel (Azores) where the ships stop is very lush, easy driving everywhere, beautiful views just about everywhere, rolling hills and animals grazing everywhere. There is also volcanic activity all over the island! It is like Hawaii, Austria, and Switzerland rolled into one location. I think it is the most beautiful location on earth that I have visited. You can easily stay on either island for a week, which I really recommend, as most Americans and non-europeans have not discovered these secret Portuguese islands. I wrote a more detailed post over on the Rick Steves "Portugal" forum if you want to learn more! You can also visit http://www.azores.com for tons of info. I hope this gives you a better answer to your question :-)

Edited by BrenGina