Ancient Wonders - advice please on Athens

Just booked "Ancient Wonders" and started looking at ports of call.

Athens has a good HoHo bus setup so I'm inclined to go with that option for DIY there.

Just want to confirm that Thomsons berth in the main cruise terminal close to the bus route stop.

Also looking for opinions on Thomsons excursion offers in Istanbul and Kusadasi.

We are happy to visit the main tourist "must see" places - one of the Thomsons coach tours is Classic Istanbul which is 7.5 hours.......not sure I could hack that amount of time on the go though.

Kusadasi means either the 4 hour or 7 hour Ephesus and the House of Mary - not convinced about the longer of the two, although Her Ladyship is very keen on making the most of this opportunity to see the religious places of pilgrimage.

Athens has a good HoHo bus setup so I'm inclined to go with that option for DIY there.

Just want to confirm that Thomsons berth in the main cruise terminal close to the bus route stop.

Also looking for opinions on Thomsons excursion offers in Istanbul and Kusadasi.

We are happy to visit the main tourist "must see" places - one of the Thomsons coach tours is Classic Istanbul which is 7.5 hours.......not sure I could hack that amount of time on the go though.

Kusadasi means either the 4 hour or 7 hour Ephesus and the House of Mary - not convinced about the longer of the two, although Her Ladyship is very keen on making the most of this opportunity to see the religious places of pilgrimage.

What date you doing Ancient Wonders?

All-afloaty :)

Pireaus port is huge - but the HoHo picks up by the area where the cruise ships berth.

However, I've read that there is a new express bus service which only started last month which picks up at the port and goes pretty well straight through into Athens - cost 4€ return. Bargain! It drops off at the same point as the 'Athens on your Own' coaches stop near the Boulevard which runs around the base of the Acropolis. If you prefer the commentary you will get with the Hoho and the hop on hop off facility, it may well be the better option for you. But if you intend to spend your time in and around the Acropolis, the Agora, the New Museum, Monastiraki (for tourist, local and flea markets - you wouldn't believe what's for sale ther either!) and the Plaka (the old town for cafes, atmosphere) then they are all adjacent to one another and there is no need for the Hoho to get from one to the other - in fact if you look at the red route, the bus isn't actually much help to connnect the main attractons in the middle.

http://www.citysightseeing.gr/red-route/tour-map/red-route

I reckon the X80 drops you at Syntagma Sq (by the Parliament building) or you stop on whilst it loops round and doubles back to drop you at stop #2 across the road from the Arch. It's a short walk to the Acropolis from there. Easy to DiY unless as I say you want the commentary or don't want so much walking.

DH has just downloaded the Rick Steve's audio guide of Athens and says it's superb. THere are downloadable maps to go with it. Perhaps worth having a look at if you decide to do the Acropolis/Agora/New Museum on your own. (THe Acropolis Museum is superb - and only 3€ to get in if you are eligilbe for concessions!!! Has a great cafe terrace too for a drink looking right across at the Parthenon)

My opinion is that the shorter excursion us plenty for Ephesus - you still go to the House of Mary which is quite a short stop but Ephesus itself is quite a big site and a fair walk all the way through to the Library, Forum and Amphitheatre. We felt is was quite enough for one day. The distance from Kusadasi to Ephesus is short so not a lot of time is spent on the coach getting there. Remember the longer trip will include a lunch stop so I'd look very carefully at wnat more you get for the longer trip and try to determine if you think it's worth it. The length of time we spent at Ephesus was quite enough for me and I suspect you won't spend longer there even with the 7 hour trip.

Istanbul is easy to DiY. If you get the tram or taxi or even walk from the port area to the main tourist area, everything is close together - the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi (go there first if you do go independently before the crowds arrive), the Hagia Sophia, Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market are all very walkable - at your own pace rather than that of a tour group. If you're happy with a DiY appraoch, I really don't think you need an organised trip. We got one of those Pop-Up maps and did just fine finding our way around. I doubt they will put you on and off a bus to get from the Mosque, Topkapi and Hagia Sophia (all round the Hippodrome area) as they are so close. If you look at a map of Istanbul you will see how close by they are.

http://www.istanbultrails.com/2009/02/map-with-tourist-attractions-in-the-historical-part-of-istanbul/

On this map the ships berth over the Galata Bridge just about where the word 'Map' is. They had a Marathon the first time we went so the streets around the whole area were closed for traffic and no tram so we walked in over the bridge (an attraction in it's own right - look at the lowere level too and the floating take-away restaurant/barges on the Spice Market side). Went to the Topkapi, looked round there, then into the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, did the Bazaar and Spice Market and walked back all in one day. We did get going early and I admit we were shattered at the end of the day but it goes to show how much ground you can cover! Perhaps it's worth looking at exactly what the grand tour gives you - does it take you into some of these places of just lok from the outside - do you mind? Whta are your priorities to see? But no doubt it's a good city for DiY - you can see your ship from the tourist area which I always find reassuring too!

Great places to visit though however you decide to do it. Enjoy! ;)

P.S. I should ahve said if you catch the HoHo from Pireaus it's the Blue route into town - I believe you have to swap to the red one omce you are close to the centre.

Edited by kruzseeka

Kruzseeka - thanks (again) you are a wee gem.

You should take up as an independent travel consultant like Simon Calder !!!

If only....... travelling at someone else's expense and being paid to share my lovely memories...... I could manage that! :D

Pleased to help.!;) (and I am wee too!!!:D:D)

P.S. Just noticed that if you are on the hoho (red route) stop 4 is the best one to get off for entry to the Acropolis. That 'road' around the southern edge of the Acropolis is the Boulevard I was speaking of - and is doesn't have traffic on it (except for the odd rogue motor scooter!) so you have to walk around that bit.

Edited by kruzseeka

What date you doing Ancient Wonders?

20th Oct. - last of the 2014 dates for AW.

The coolest (relatively) time to do this itineray, which is an attractive factor for us, as well as the cheapest deal of the season.

We are no longer tied to schools holidays, which is a major lifestyle change for us.

Which are you booked on ?

20th Oct. - last of the 2014 dates for AW.

The coolest (relatively) time to do this itineray, which is an attractive factor for us, as well as the cheapest deal of the season.

We are no longer tied to schools holidays, which is a major lifestyle change for us.

Which are you booked on ?

We are going on 22nd September and I'm already counting down the days - I say to dh at least once a day 'what will we be doing in 10 weeks time' lol!

We are also going on 22nd September. our 12th cruise but still really looking forward to it. Been to Greece and Turkey before but not any of these ports apart from Lesbos where we spent a couple of weeks many years ago.

I would agree with Kruzseeka about the House of Mary. It is not a place where you could spend much more time than you have on the 4 hour trip because they herd you through the house in a snake and you can't stop and spend more time inside the house which is very small. There was sufficient time for the outside too.

We found the time spent at Ephesus was long enough too. It is a wonderful place but tiring with little shade on a warm day.

Thanks folks.

It'll be the half day House of Mary trip for us then.

I regularly irritate 'er indoors by referring to such historical locations as "a pile o' stanes" - not the best diplomatic of moves !!!

Actually I am interested in visiting the site - I had no idea of it's significance - maybe I should have read the New Testaments more.

For Athens we intend to DIY and use the X80 bus then play it by ear.

Istanbul - easy DIY and a great place to visit ..problem usually is so much to do so little time. The two main mosques are opposite each other and the actual mosque one is free (shoes off, head covered-take a plastic bag to carry your shoes in ) , queues for entry can be an issue at Topkapi; we like if there is time the dolembache palace but they limit the visitor numbers and its about a 40 min tour -you cannot DIY there. If palaces or the markets do not appeal then the Rahmi M Koç Museum seems to be enjoyable.

Another fan of Rick Steves audio guides and also Toms Port Guides

Edited by 4Mast