Belize

travsmom

I have read some reviews about Belize. For people that have been there, do you feel like it is safe to go outside the gates. Have any of you been outside the gates just walking around. If it is so unsafe why do the cruise ships go there. I don't want to take any of the excursions offered there. Thank you in advance.

We have been to Belize numerous times and we have never felt unsafe. Yes we have walked around outside of the port area. We always stay aware of our surroundings (just like we do anywhere even in the states) but we felt completely safe.

I have read some reviews about Belize. For people that have been there, do you feel like it is safe to go outside the gates. Have any of you been outside the gates just walking around. If it is so unsafe why do the cruise ships go there. I don't want to take any of the excursions offered there. Thank you in advance.

We have been to Belize 2x & are going again in 3 weeks. There are a lot of shops inside the gates at what they call "tourism village." Our 1st visit we booked an independent tour, which picked us up right outside the gates. In driving through Belize city, it did seem quite poor. But we had no issues & did visit the little market right outside the gates at the completion of our tour, again no issues. Our 2nd trip there we did a CCL excursion and again had no issues. This time I have hired a private driver, the same company we had booked with previously. He has been very good at emailing me & we liked him, felt safe our 1st trip there.

If you are worried about it, just head over to shore aboard the tender boat & visit the shops, bars inside the gated area. Or find a private tour that interests you. There have been reports of some problems outside the gates, but that can be true anywhere in the world. We liked Belize, but feel safer with a local as a tour guide.

We debark, shop a bit inside the fenced in area only. Other than that do an excursion or enjoy the ship that day. Don't walk around outside that gate alone . It's just not a safe thing to do.

An excursion driver told us a few years ago never go outside the gates and into the countryside alone, its not safe. We took excursions and then came back roamed the port area and had a few beers at the Wet Lizard.

I was always cautious not to go outside of the gates in Belize for many years. However, we had been there 3 times in one year and did not want to spend the money for another tour. My 20 year old daughter and I went outside the gates and shopped and ate. We had a wonderful time. As with anywhere...you need to watch your surroundings...but it was great. I love experiencing different cultures. I would do it again. Nothing but amazing people. You will get offered drugs..but when you say no..they walk away.

For whatever its worth, I will give you my two cents.

The area immediately outside the cruise terminal is a more poverty stricken area, than the cruise line developed areas at a lot of cruise terminals. It is urban, and there is not much to see, unless you are looking to experience the conditions of people living in the area.

I won't use the word unsafe, it's not like you will hear gunfire. Poverty does cause desperation in people sometimes, and as another poster said you should always stay aware of your surroundings. If you are comfortable walking around an urban environment, it's fine. But if you are looking for sightseeing, photo ops, etc. there is no reason to venture around on foot.

We have a family policy, it's easy to know when you have reached the end of the tourist area. Act differently once you reach that point. We have met some very friendly people in non-tourist areas, and also seen groups of young adults that made us decide to turn around and head back to the tourist area. That rule applies everywhere. In Belize City, it is just right outside the gate.

It's not like you will for sure have problems if you walk around the area, but you might be uncomfortable.

Belize has a lot of cool excursions, and the people we have met there are very friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Belize several times and never once felt unsafe. We always go outside the gate. We shop the flea market across the street and the vendors are always so nice and they are so appreciative of our shopping 'local'. We have also walked all around the area. As other have said, no matter where you go be aware of your surroundings.

Someone asked why do ships dock there if it's unsafe. Scuba divers love Belize and there are many interesting tours available there. As I said earlier, we are looking forward to visiting Belize next week, but have hired a private driver so that we can venture away from "tourism village" - been there, done that.

We go outside the gated area when we go to Belize and have found the locals to be quite friendly. Unsafe? No worse than any other city we have visited as far as we're concerned. Some people judge based on appearances and the area does have a rundown look, but just because the area may be poor doesn't make the people criminal types. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Think this comes from some articles online and elsewhere that tell about some crime in Belize near the port and also some even said its one of the least safe ports. Part of this is because some of those articles and such are from years ago. One problem with internet search you get many hits some are old some are new and many people never notice how old the post are.

In another forum on here even I came across a thread where this couple were not going to do a tour because of an incident on the tour. They were relieved when I pointed out to them that the incident referred to was 5 years ago and the thread was 4 years old and other threads (more recent) were all good reviews.

Now keep this in mind "unsafe" can mean many things. And "feeling unsafe" certainly is an individual thing.

Also part of this is because some tours have armed guards you pass and will often see them near the port.

Life has its risks and we each need to decide our own level of risk. To some just having the armed guards there makes them uncomfortable so they don't like Belize or other places that look the same.

So just do what you should do in every port and city you go to if you decide to go ashore in Belize, be careful as everyone has said. Take the advice given here. No one can tell you what is right for you.

For whatever its worth, I will give you my two cents.

The area immediately outside the cruise terminal is a more poverty stricken area, than the cruise line developed areas at a lot of cruise terminals. It is urban, and there is not much to see, unless you are looking to experience the conditions of people living in the area.

I won't use the word unsafe, it's not like you will hear gunfire. Poverty does cause desperation in people sometimes, and as another poster said you should always stay aware of your surroundings. If you are comfortable walking around an urban environment, it's fine. But if you are looking for sightseeing, photo ops, etc. there is no reason to venture around on foot.

We have a family policy, it's easy to know when you have reached the end of the tourist area. Act differently once you reach that point. We have met some very friendly people in non-tourist areas, and also seen groups of young adults that made us decide to turn around and head back to the tourist area. That rule applies everywhere. In Belize City, it is just right outside the gate.

It's not like you will for sure have problems if you walk around the area, but you might be uncomfortable.

Belize has a lot of cool excursions, and the people we have met there are very friendly.

Totally agree with your "2 cents"!

Without being negative ... gives folk of what to realistically expect and to still enjoy the many good things Belize has to offer.

LuLu

No ,it's not safe . We did self tour on horse carriage around the city and boy I was happy to be back on ship. I been on almost all Caribbean islands and most of central america but never I been so happy to be back on ship. Next time I will not even go to port because even a tender boats so old you pray to make it a shore :rolleyes:

We've done the horse and buggy trip a couple of times, can't even imagine what would make you feel like that unless it's the fact that you do pass thru some not so upscale areas. :confused:

I guess some people may get uncomfortable or nervous easily. If that may be you, you're probably right to stay on the ship. That's your prerogative and perfectly fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...