Barcelona airport - how early?

roothy123

I know this has probably been asked a million times, so I apologize. However, there are 4 of us getting off a cruise ship and going to Terminal 1 of the Barcelona airport. We (2 people) are flying on British Airways to London to pick up our "cross-pond" flight home to the U.S. The other couple is flying American from Terminal 1. My primary question is this: How early should we get to the airport? My secondary question is "Is it easy to get from the American counter to the British Airways counter if the cab doesn't want to drop us at both? Then at Heathrow, will we have to jump through any immigration/security hoops to change planes, or will that be relatively easy? The flight to Heathrow and the flight to DC are both going out of the same terminal, so I assume this should be relatively easy, right?

I know this has probably been asked a million times, so I apologize. However, there are 4 of us getting off a cruise ship and going to Terminal 1 of the Barcelona airport. We (2 people) are flying on British Airways to London to pick up our "cross-pond" flight home to the U.S. The other couple is flying American from Terminal 1. My primary question is this: How early should we get to the airport? My secondary question is "Is it easy to get from the American counter to the British Airways counter if the cab doesn't want to drop us at both? Then at Heathrow, will we have to jump through any immigration/security hoops to change planes, or will that be relatively easy? The flight to Heathrow and the flight to DC are both going out of the same terminal, so I assume this should be relatively easy, right?

If your friends are flying direct to the US from BCN they will need maybe 3 hrs as security has tightened at most Europen airports,and yur flt to London maybe the same,but someone more informed than I can say. When you get to Heathrow be prepared for a lot of security,check for yoiur gates since in the same terminal and follow the signs.You can always ask someone for help along the way if you need to.If you have never flown out of Heathrow just know it can be VERY daunting at times.I am sure you will be just fine,,this was just a heads up.

If your friends are flying direct to the US from BCN they will need maybe 3 hrs as security has tightened at most Europen airports,and yur flt to London maybe the same,but someone more informed than I can say. When you get to Heathrow be prepared for a lot of security,check for yoiur gates since in the same terminal and follow the signs.You can always ask someone for help along the way if you need to.If you have never flown out of Heathrow just know it can be VERY daunting at times.I am sure you will be just fine,,this was just a heads up.

Guess I'll need to find out if the flight on AA is to the U.S.; might be. As to Heathrow, I've been there before, and know it can be a real pain in the rear end.

Thank you.

More information/responses appreciated, particularly as they relate to recent experiences in Barcelona! I read that taxis are apparently not allowed to start picking up from the port until 7AM, so I guess we won't have to leave any earlier than that!

I think the American Airlines and British Airways check-in counters are on each side of the second row of counters numbered in the 300's. Terminal one has all ailines spread across 6 rows total. This would be the far end of the terminal as taxis approach or just to the right of the center of the terminal.

I have never heard of any limitations on Taxi times, except that fares go down on weekdays after 8:00 AM. As ships sail in you see the 100s of small green lights on the waiting Taxis and they should be available from the time a ship is cleared.

The Spanish airport system has not changed their normal 2 hour recomended arrival and 60 minute minimum arrival time for airport check-in. The American desk opens at 7 AM.

Thank you very much for that very specific information. It sounds like we'll be fine going to AA and BA. Can I assume that Barcelona doesn't have any outdoor counters to check baggage and check in, at least not for non-EU travelers using terminal 1? Also, does the 2 hour recommended arrival pertain to getting to the airport and the 1 hour check-in pertain to checking into your gate, or what?

As to the 7:00 start time for taxis, it does sound a little weird to me, but that's what I read somewhere here or on another travel site regarding entry into the port of Barcelona. I assumed it was true, but who knows?! (Perhaps it pertained to a different post and I'm not remembering the correct one!)

Edited by roothy123

The taxi queue at the Barcelona Port is very effecient, you shouldn't wait too long to get a cab; there are A LOT of them.

Figure 30 minutes at least for the cab ride from the Port to the Airport (El Prat).

All check-in and baggage drop is done INSIDE.

The airline counters are not that far apart, you don't need the cab to drop you off at 2 different places (unless you are affected by mobility issues perhaps).

You need to be at the airport minimum 2 hours prior to your flight.

If your connection in Heathrow is with the same airline & booking, I don't think you need to clear security (not 100% sure on that). If it is with a different airline & different booking, you will most probably need to clear security & immigration before going on to your trans-atlantic flight. If that is the case, I think you would need a good 3 hour window at Heathrow.

:)

All I know is that there has been added to the security now, another layer or two (depending on the airport) of more security...the do not say what,but electronics is one of them.I know that the airport in Paris and London as well as some other's are doing this,but now sure if BCN is one of them. The caution was to possibly be aware of another hour for this new security.By the time I write this it could all be changed anyway,but I thought it should be mentioned is all.These are for flts going to the US only.

We flew out of barcelona last month from the Epic and we caught a taxi at 6:45 am. Our balcony was on the terminal side and I could see taxis sitting at 6:00 am, not many but there were a few waiting and a very few passengers leaving. We had a very short line through security but that was before the new measures. Miami was much more of a headache than Barcelona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even though for international flights it's recommended a 3 hour arrival time...we found this to be more than enough time...next time we'll be comfortable doing a 2 hour.

The only European Airports that have went to 3 hour recommendation at this time are Paris CDG and Dublin. That does not mean that 3 hours is not a good thing if possible at all airports.

All Mediterranean region airports are included in the 'extra security procedures" for US bound flights and Barcelona is doing the extra control.

Extra security is being placed at gate or in piers where flights to the US originate as not to slow down the entire process. US bound flights are being called with "Go to Gate" earlier once inside most terminals.

This was already the case for all US and UK flights in Barcelona as both are non-Schengen agreement destinations and therefore both require a passport check when moving to the gate and then additional security can be added there.

American has a page for arrival time at airport and they do post Travel Alerts there as well.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/checkingIn/arrivalTimes.jsp

Barcelona Airport is part of AENA, the largest operator of airports in the world with 47 airports and they have a great website with all the information you might need. English language is selected with the check-mark next after selecting English in the upper right hand corner of the web page.

http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Barcelona/en/Page/1045569607459/

The American desk is open for check-in first 3 hours prior to their JFK departure at 7 AM and they 'strongly recommend' a completed check-in prior to 60 minutes for all flights, then they will post 'Go to Gate' in the boarding area where the shopping and outdoor park is located and then you move through 'Passport Control' and then to your gate where there might be extra security at either of these 2 points per the new requirements.

The 'Go to Gate' and 'Boarding' times can vary from day to day, while the 2 hour recommended and 60 minute minimum check-in are policies in effect.

We flew on American out of Barcelona this spring after our cruise. We were confused by all the lines in the check in area, but finally got in the relatively short line for the kiosk to get our boarding passes. Then we got in the "drop off bags" line which we were in for an hour. We just couldn't imagine what the hold up was! When we finally got to the front of the line we were politely asked many questions about where we had been, how we got to the airport, who had packed our luggage, had we left it unattended at any point and so on. From that point security was pretty straightforward and we got to the gate with time to spare, but it was a little nerve wracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only European Airports that have went to 3 hour recommendation at this time are Paris CDG and Dublin. That does not mean that 3 hours is not a good thing if possible at all airports.

All Mediterranean region airports are included in the 'extra security procedures" for US bound flights and Barcelona is doing the extra control.

Extra security is being placed at gate or in piers where flights to the US originate as not to slow down the entire process. US bound flights are being called with "Go to Gate" earlier once inside most terminals.

This was already the case for all US and UK flights in Barcelona as both are non-Schengen agreement destinations and therefore both require a passport check when moving to the gate and then additional security can be added there.

American has a page for arrival time at airport and they do post Travel Alerts there as well.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/checkingIn/arrivalTimes.jsp

Barcelona Airport is part of AENA, the largest operator of airports in the world with 47 airports and they have a great website with all the information you might need. English language is selected with the check-mark next after selecting English in the upper right hand corner of the web page.

http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Barcelona/en/Page/1045569607459/

The American desk is open for check-in first 3 hours prior to their JFK departure at 7 AM and they 'strongly recommend' a completed check-in prior to 60 minutes for all flights, then they will post 'Go to Gate' in the boarding area where the shopping and outdoor park is located and then you move through 'Passport Control' and then to your gate where there might be extra security at either of these 2 points per the new requirements.

The 'Go to Gate' and 'Boarding' times can vary from day to day, while the 2 hour recommended and 60 minute minimum check-in are policies in effect.

We're looking to possibly visit family in Ireland on the way over to BCN, and may need to book back through Dublin for the return flight as well given the cost savings. Aer Lingus has a BCN to DUB 10:50 am departure, so would that still be considered reasonable to make given their 3 hour window for getting off the ship, or is that getting to tight? They're next flight looks to be 6pm in the evening....

thanks!

We're looking to possibly visit family in Ireland on the way over to BCN, and may need to book back through Dublin for the return flight as well given the cost savings. Aer Lingus has a BCN to DUB 10:50 am departure, so would that still be considered reasonable to make given their 3 hour window for getting off the ship, or is that getting to tight? They're next flight looks to be 6pm in the evening....

thanks!

You should be fine if I understand you are originating in BCN. The DUB 3 hour rule is for departures checking-in at the counter in DUB for flights to the US.

You might find that an 'open-jaw' where you do not need to connect back through DUB is not that much more expensive.

Another thing is that you can buy good 1 way fares to DUB. You can then book a good one way to BCN.

Then you now have the carrier Norwegian offering good one-way fares to the USA from BCN connecting in Gatwick, Oslo, Copenhagen or Stockholm. It does depend where you are headed of course as well.

Just to let you know there are many possibilities now.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, MADflyer, and others for this great information. I hope, for the sake of our acquaintances flying on American (who leave before we do), that the "drop off bags" portion goes quicker than it did for you guys, Buckeye.

For anyone reading this in the future, it is my understanding that one important thing to do before flying in or to the US is to make sure that your carry-on electronic devices can be turned on - in other words, there are no dead batteries, and that you do not run the batteries down to zero while on a plane if you have a connecting flight. Some people may be asked to turn on their devices to prove they work.

You need to be at the airport 2 hours before departure. If you are earlier, Barcelona is a fairly decent airport to be stuck in.

Your bags should be checked all the way to the US, so when you get to LHR, you do not have to clear immigration or customs. Just follow the signs for transferring passengers rather than the baggage reclaim signs.

We flew out of barcelona last month from the Epic and we caught a taxi at 6:45 am. Our balcony was on the terminal side and I could see taxis sitting at 6:00 am, not many but there were a few waiting and a very few passengers leaving. We had a very short line through security but that was before the new measures. Miami was much more of a headache than Barcelona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you remember how long was your taxi ride from the port to the airport? How much was the taxi fare? Did you fly out on weekday or weekend?

Thank you in advance for your information!:)

Thank you very much for that very specific information. It sounds like we'll be fine going to AA and BA. Can I assume that Barcelona doesn't have any outdoor counters to check baggage and check in, at least not for non-EU travelers using terminal 1? Also, does the 2 hour recommended arrival pertain to getting to the airport and the 1 hour check-in pertain to checking into your gate, or what?

As to the 7:00 start time for taxis, it does sound a little weird to me, but that's what I read somewhere here or on another travel site regarding entry into the port of Barcelona. I assumed it was true, but who knows?! (Perhaps it pertained to a different post and I'm not remembering the correct one!)

Just to clarify: I went back to the documentation BCN Travel sent me, and they stated that the cruise ships would not be disembarking until 7AM. So assuming that's true, I guess it's not up to the taxis, but rather a port terminal requirement. Perhaps the terminal employees, or the authorities who come to do the customs/passport check, don't start working until 7.

Just FYI, you can check your docking area on http://www.portdebarcelona.cat/

Edited by roothy123

Do you remember how long was your taxi ride from the port to the airport? How much was the taxi fare? Did you fly out on weekday or weekend?

Thank you in advance for your information!:)

We flew out last Sept and the ride took bout 25 minutes,.

Sorry, I don't recall the cost. We had pre arranged for a driver from Barcelona Day Tours which quite honestly was a mistake.

There were plenty of cabs waiting and I am certain they were less expensive than our pre arranged transport.

Quite frankly, I was annoyed as our driver was late and then had an attitude when he saw our luggage. They were well aware we were a party of 3 with 3 suitcases and 3 carry ons.

We managed to fit everything in the car but I fail to see why it's my fault when I clearly stated my needs at the time of booking the service.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly: When we arrive at El Prat, do we leave our checked bags in an area to be x-rayed, marked with a sticker or whatever, and returned to us, and then go to the appropriate counter for check in (American for one couple & British Air for another)?

chubbypiggy, from what I've read, the ride is almost always in the 25 to 30 minute range. I checked a couple companies and BCN Travel is charging 48 euros for 4 people and luggage. They seem fairly easy going about how much luggage we have as long as we can put it in the trunk, and I sure hope that they weren't just being nice to get my business, as it sounds like celebrity may have experienced. The other company I checked (suntransfers) WAS very precise in making sure people understood the luggage limitations. Both companies have good reputations but I'm sure there might be instances when a particular driver can be late, cranky about big cruise luggage, etc. The companies are just arranging with taxi drivers to pick up passengers; they do not own the taxis or hire the drivers. I would guess that pre-arranging a pickup would not save you a lot of time over standing in the usual taxi line, but nor do they cost more. I don't remember the price I was told was usual for a cab from the port to the airport, but I do remember vaguely that it was a little more than what the 2 transfer companies I queried charged.

Cabs in Barcelona can take 4 people, so you may want to find a few people to join you if their flight schedules are close to yours and both out of Terminal 1, which is where most flights go out. There are a LOT of flights going out in the 11:30 to 12:30 range, I noticed (at least on a Wed) so it should be easy to find someone to share with. Just keep in mind that you'll be dropped one place, and part of the group may have to walk a little bit to get to their airline counter. I normally just get in a cab line wherever I am, but this time I decided to pre-arrange a taxi, so we don't have to get up any earlier than necessary! Of course, we all need to keep in mind that after a cruise, you can't just walk off the ship and be on your way. Most places have some sort of customs/passport check that can add a little time.

But back to my original question: Do I go to a baggage drop off place first? Thanks.

Passengers with a printed boarding pass from the terminal machine or online can stand in a line for 'bag drop' if they have one. Passport is scanned in machine, but then verified by agent. Otherwise, you stand in the check in line.

I probably won't be able to print out boarding passes the night before (even if that's possible for int'l flights - sometimes it isn't), so we'll probably just go to the line for the counter to check in, and then go to bag check. Does that sound like the best thing to do, as I assume the counter lines will get longer as the morning progresses? (There are a good number of cruisers coming off ships the day we're there.) In other words, it doesn't sound like going to one of the machines will expedite things since we need to go to the counter at some point anyway, right?

I probably won't be able to print out boarding passes the night before (even if that's possible for int'l flights - sometimes it isn't), so we'll probably just go to the line for the counter to check in, and then go to bag check. Does that sound like the best thing to do, as I assume the counter lines will get longer as the morning progresses? (There are a good number of cruisers coming off ships the day we're there.) In other words, it doesn't sound like going to one of the machines will expedite things since we need to go to the counter at some point anyway, right?

I had to check in at the Delta counter and there was no line at all. Could not have been easier. We checked our bags at the counter.

Have a great trip!

Edited by celebrity