It's a bad day to be in rome.....

mina

We will be in rome on the first Sunday in October, so colosseum will be free with long lines. The forum is also free and will be packed. We have a private driver scheduled. So I am thinking we will could go to the Appian way and the catacombs first, then head into rome later in the day. Thoughts on that approach? Will the crowds and lines be larger later in the day or earlier? Recommendations on how to see these sites without huge lines?

Edited by mina

I forgot to add there is also a papal audience and papal mass that Sunday. What does that mean regarding the crowds at St. Peter's? Would it be better to tour there in the afternoon as well?

I was in Rome on a Sunday recently and while the Colosseum was busy many other areas were not. Also this will be October when tourist season is not as busy as it was when I was there.

If you want to maximize time in Rome I would not be concerned about it being Sunday.

Keith

I don't know what to suggest, to be honest. It will be crowded, but I wouldn't let that deter you from doing what you most want to do.

If it were me, I'd make a list of the most important things, and then perhaps talk to the company you hired your driver from to figure out a reasonable schedule. Is it your first time in Rome? If it is, I'm not sure the Appian Way would be my first choice (unless you have a specific interest in it, of course), plus much of the fun is in walking a section of it -- and it is closed to vehicle traffic on Sundays for a good portion of it.

If there is a Papal audience and mass that day, I'd avoid St. Peters in the morning. It may still be crowded in the afternoon, but it's so large that it just absorbs the crowds. (However, there may be a line to get through the security check.)

You probably already realized that the Vatican Museum is closed on Sundays (except for the last Sunday of the month).

Edited by cruisemom42

It took us about an hour to get through the line and into St. Peter's Basilica. It was extremely hot and crowded, got the around 10 and was out just before

Noon. Saw the Pope come out To the window to give his blessing and left before he ended. Streets didn't seem too crowded, campo di firoria wasn't too crowded for drinks and people watching. Did the Colosseum yesterday, Saturday, and it was very crowded. Definitely do the tour with the lower and upper levels.

Thank you. Cruise mom. It is our first trip to rome, so we are really mixed about what todo. Our tour guide is suggesting doing a non rome tour, going to ostia antica and cervetechi. Not sure we will make it back to rome, So want to at least see the coloseum from the outside. I have always wanted to see the Appian way and the catacombs, so that is important. Am thinking we will try the catacombs in the morning, drive by the colosseum for photos, stop at the pantheon and then Head over to St. Peter's and wait in line. Hopefully it will not be as packed. Ostia antica looks fascinating, but we would need to plan a return trip to rome itself if we did that. Not sure we would have the time to do that in the next couple years, so am torn.

It took us about an hour to get through the line and into St. Peter's Basilica. It was extremely hot and crowded, got the around 10 and was out just before

Noon. Saw the Pope come out To the window to give his blessing and left before he ended. Streets didn't seem too crowded, campo di firoria wasn't too crowded for drinks and people watching. Did the Colosseum yesterday, Saturday, and it was very crowded. Definitely do the tour with the lower and upper levels.

Thanks meg, but we are there the first Sunday of the month. There are no tours available that day nor any skip the line tickets as it is a free day.

Thank you. Cruise mom. It is our first trip to rome, so we are really mixed about what todo. Our tour guide is suggesting doing a non rome tour, going to ostia antica and cervetechi. Not sure we will make it back to rome, So want to at least see the coloseum from the outside. I have always wanted to see the Appian way and the catacombs, so that is important. Am thinking we will try the catacombs in the morning, drive by the colosseum for photos, stop at the pantheon and then Head over to St. Peter's and wait in line. Hopefully it will not be as packed. Ostia antica looks fascinating, but we would need to plan a return trip to rome itself if we did that. Not sure we would have the time to do that in the next couple years, so am torn.

Hi, Mina. Re: Ostia Antica, I'll just add that although it is a very large and well preserved site, i would not recommend it over the sites in Rome and the Vatican. I think your thought to save it for another visit is wise. It does deserve a few hours to visit and a fair amount of time to travel to and from.

The Papal Mass is for the opening of the Synod of Bishops. It will probably be held in the morning and tickets are required. The Holy Father is scheduled to say the Angelus at St Peter's Square at noon.

You can access the Oly Father's schedule at this website: http://www.vatican.va/various/prefettura/en/udienze_en.html

I would say the afternoon is probably a safer time to visit the basilica.

Hope this helps.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

If the catacombs are of particular I terest to you, an alternative could be the Scavi tour of the necropolis beneath St. Peters. This could save you the trip out to the Appian away and free up time to see other Rome sites. Not sure if it will be offered on your specific day, you can check at http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20090216_en.html.

This was one of the most interesting things I've seen in all my travels! We went out to the catacombs on a different trip and I didn't think they measured up to the Scavi experience. Highly recommended!!!