OK, I'm stupid - how to measure luggage

cataholic

If I want to measure my luggage to make sure it fits the airline regulations, how do I do it. I see FAA regs that say 45" around and to measure height + width+length. Now that adds up to more than 45" (this would be for carry-on):confused: .

So what exactly do I measure. Do I just take a tape measure and measure around the width, or do I measure the height around or what???

I'm trying to make sure that I bring the right size to the airport. Would hate to pay extra.

If I want to measure my luggage to make sure it fits the airline regulations, how do I do it. I see FAA regs that say 45" around and to measure height + width+length. Now that adds up to more than 45" (this would be for carry-on):confused: .

So what exactly do I measure. Do I just take a tape measure and measure around the width, or do I measure the height around or what???

I'm trying to make sure that I bring the right size to the airport. Would hate to pay extra.

As you already said, you just measure and add the piece's height, width and depth, and make sure it is under the airline's limit--not sure what part of this is confusing!? :confused:

Place the bag on a flat surface as you would to open it. Measure the distance left to right, measure the distance front to back and measure the distance up to down. Add the three numbers together and you have your total number .

Hope this helps:)

Place the bag on a flat surface as you would to open it. Measure the distance left to right, measure the distance front to back and measure the distance up to down. Add the three numbers together and you have your total number .

Hope this helps:)

THANK YOU

I understand your confusion lol. I had the same question last year, when I was flying South West. Maybe I'm just dense, but I could not understand why they measure height and length, to me these were the same thing. Anyway DH measured it for me and I had no problems.

If your bag has wheels, be sure to measure the lenth INCLUDING the wheels. The airline would measure them if they question it being permitted size.

If it is too large, it may not be a matter of paying extra to bring it aboard the plane, they may disallow you bringing it period and make you check it.

Bed Bath and Beyond has a luggage scale with a tape measure. You can see how many pounds your luggage weights and measure it with the tape measure. Here is the link http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14337407&RN=529

Archived