Yangon day tours

darwinG

Hi,

I am going on my first cruise this December on Holland America on the Asian adventure.

I am trying to organise a couple of day tours while we are in Yangon (for 5 adults). I would like to organise to do a tour with a company other than through the ship. I have contacted a few companies about this and received some responses.

But once I received was a little odd.

It states that "We also need a document on behalf of cruise Management which indicates that they allow the authorization for our company for ground handling of 05 persons visiting around Yangon.

If not, we had to add 120$/pax (i.e: 100$/pax as government tax+ 20$/pax for ground permission fees). Kindly note that these charges go directly to Ministry of Tourism Authority in Myanmar."

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Also any recommendations for tour companies?

Thanks

Yes it sounds like the company would need permission from the ship to access the dock with a vehicle to pick you up. You may be able to walk to outside the restricted area to be picked up there.

Write to the company for clarification.

You may get some help if you post on Trip Advisor.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were there the ship (or the port) had a free shuttle to the gate - no walking allowed. Our tour was with Tour Mandalay, and after the tour our guide did go to the gate and got permission to drop us back at the ship - I don't know if there was money involved!

When we were there the ship (or the port) had a free shuttle to the gate - no walking allowed. Our tour was with Tour Mandalay, and after the tour our guide did go to the gate and got permission to drop us back at the ship - I don't know if there was money involved!

May I ask what ship you were on?

• 1 month later...

Hi, We were in Myanmar last week. Our cruise ship organised a shuttle bus from the ship to the dock gates (as I believe all ships do). We then hired a guide and driver (with an essential air conditioned car) who picked us up from there. We paid no money at all before we met up with our guide.

He was absolutely excellent, suggested places to go but also accommodated our needs which made for a fantastic first impression of Myanmar.

We were docked for three days and had a fabulous time looking around Yangon, Bago and Thilawa.

Our guide was called Tony who was an absolutely delightful man. His email address is tonyhlashwe@gmail.com

• 1 month later...
Hi, We were in Myanmar last week. Our cruise ship organised a shuttle bus from the ship to the dock gates (as I believe all ships do). We then hired a guide and driver (with an essential air conditioned car) who picked us up from there. We paid no money at all before we met up with our guide.

He was absolutely excellent, suggested places to go but also accommodated our needs which made for a fantastic first impression of Myanmar.

We were docked for three days and had a fabulous time looking around Yangon, Bago and Thilawa.

Our guide was called Tony who was an absolutely delightful man. His email address is tonyhlashwe@gmail.com

Thank you for the info. You have put our minds @ rest. We are on the Volendam docking on 7 Feb 2015 & have hired a car & driver too for 4 of us who are traveling together.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your review and sharing Tony's email. We have booked his services for a tour in Feb. His responses have been excellent. Pendragon Sails