Is there a ship shuttle to HoChi Minh City Diamond 4-17-15 docking in Phu My, Vietnam

Duck Duck Cruise

We are on the Diamond - docking at Phu My, Vietnam on April 17, 2015. Does any one know FOR SURE (no guesses please) If there is a Princess supplied shuttle bus to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)?

We have a private tour we want to do, but they don't pick up at Phu My so I need to get us to HMC and back.

Thanks,

Lin

Yes, we did "Saigon on your own" from Legend of the Seas. We were dropped off and picked up outside the Rex Hotel

I understand the one way trip is approx 2 hours..is this correct...if so how long were you on your own, what did you do on your own, how was the bus ride and what time of year was it (weather) ? We're considering March.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes, we did "Saigon on your own" from Legend of the Seas. We were dropped off and picked up outside the Rex Hotel

Hi Suekay,

We would like to see Saigon on our own too. Did you pre-arranged for pickup before arrival at port? We will be sailing next week with Diamond Princess. We would like to know if there is any cabs at the Phu May port that we can hire to take us to Saigon. Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.

SJ

We will be visiting Ho Chi Minh City in November from sapphire princess and

had originally booked the ship excursion to HCMC, basically a bus which drops us off to do our own thing then collects us and takes us back to the ship. However my daughter has been travelling in Asia this year and advised us against going there for various reasons, so we have now changed the excursion to visit the CC. Tunnels. So to answer the original question, you can book the excursion which will drop off/pick you up in HCMC to do your own thing! and at least you know the ship will wait for you if any delays! as it's a two hour journey each way.

May I ask why your daughter thought that it would be best to avoid the city tour with the ship. Thank you.

I'm wondering about this comment as well ?....I would think that if it's unsafe no excursions would be offered.

I'm wondering about this comment as well ?....I would think that if it's unsafe no excursions would be offered.

Could be that there is a lot of construction going on around the area of the Rex Hotel but other than dodgy taxis and pickpockets (which exist in every city) Saigon is relatively safe city to visit - even crossing the busy streets can be an ordeal but can be done safely.

A number of cruise critics users organise private transfers to Saigon and if you search your roll call or this site you can usually find recommendations on companies that provide that service. Several people in a van can cut the cost considerably and you can choose what you want to do.

Don't discount a tour of Vung Tau and surrounds as an alternative. In September we did a full day tour (8.30 am to 5.00 pm for eight which included some tunnels, Australian battle/war sites. Vung Tau etc for $40 per head in an aircon van water and entrance fees included. Lunch at an upmarket seafood restaurant with three bottles of beer per head - at $12.50 each was a steal.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the ship free shuttle to a local shopping centre (with a coop market) outside we many vans waiting to take pax to HCMC, we got

one-were the last two people to join 5 for 45USdollars or ( each person)

guide-driver did not speak much english. We knew the basic sites we

wanted to see. use a map and I-Phone to show what sites we wanted

to see. It takes 90 minutes each way as the road has improved greatly

form two years ago. Traffic after 2:30 on the road out is a mess- spend

your time wisely. Also if you do your own thing- make sure the driver

takes you back to the port inside of the coop. The port runs a shuttle

free every 10minutes from gate to ship, as you can not walk.

Many people on our ship took these van tours. prices from 40 usd to our 9

per person. You have to work a bit to get the price you want. I would

do it again. Note the road in front of the Rex hotel is tore up, underground

being built.

bcnvcanada = could you please clarity if it was $45 per person or $9 per person. was it a return trip? how did you ensure the driver came to collect you and not left you stranded.

thanks

Do not pay any monies to the driver until you get back to the Port or you will find you will have a long walk. Also write down the agreed price with the Driver to try and avoid any dispute when you get back to the Port.

If the price is $45 per head (am sure it will not be $9) I would recommend that you try and organise the vehicle before you leave home. Several recommendations of reputable companies if you search this thread for around that money per head and at least you will be collected from the Port entrance (about at 15 minute walk from the ship gangway and safe to walk too) (did it in September this year) without having to get to Baria etc which will take time out of the available time to visit Saigon

Just note that for the vehicle to come to the ship's side in the Port you will be charged a extra fee of $25 per head to the cost of your trip in Vietnam,

Just off the Diamond Princess. The ship had a bus that would drop you off in the City but the cost was close to $100.00 per person US $

Then you did your own tour.

We booked with Smile Tours, the van held 8 but only 6 of us went and the cost was $110.00 per person US$ and we did the things that we wanted to see including the Museum where we spent 45 mins on our own plus other sites in the city.

I highly recommend Smile tours as everying was perfect. Lunch was included also.

First it was 9 usd per person. Secondly, we used a starter at the coop, had his cell number on his card. Also we did not pay until we were returned to the gate at the port. The going rate is about 20usd to 40usd per person

for a van with 12 persons. We were just standing around, really not planning on going into to HCMC, and they needed to fill up the van, that is

why we got the great price. Whatever you do on a private tour, you need to leave the city by 2:30 on the day of your visit, unless it is

a Sunday as traffic is lighter. The city is showing great growth, much like

China in the early 90's construction everywhere.

May I ask why your daughter thought that it would be best to avoid the city tour with the ship. Thank you.

I think it wasn't the ship tour she was advising us against, it was the fact once we got to the city, that we were going to just walk around doing our own thing.

She knows us well(obviously) and thought that the traffic and some other things she saw that it would not be the best choice for us.

She loved the cc tunnels and knows that my husband is fascinated with anything to do with history/wars etc, so knowing us she advised that we should not miss the tunnels!

I wouldn't expect anyone else to heed her advice, but for us it was the clincher so we changed plans and going to visit the tunnels.

Looking forward to it, this time next week we will be in Hong Kong!:D

• 2 weeks later...

there are very good tour company's who will pick you up at Phu My. Ann tours is the one we used. Also the trip to the city is not pleasant. The road is terrible and full of holes. Also we told our guide what we wanted to see and we even had lunch at the Hard Rock.