This is the "Actually, I quite like Silversea" thread

rosepark

WHAT!!!!

there were pax in denim in the MDR!!!

YIKES.

i thought that was not permitted except on the last night of the cruise when everyone had packed, and one did see some denim in the MDR....

OH WELL.

Yes Spin it would seem so and playing wild music by degenerate bands like the Beatles and The Beach Boys. Anyone might think this wasn't the 1950s.

I apologise to the person who started this positive thread to let people know some of us from every level of society think SS is great and stupidly making a vague mention of attire.

Let me state now, I personally do not like Jeans at evening meals or any meals for that matter on SSs but for some people now, myself included, in normal day to day life that is what they wear and I would defend their right to wear them if that is what they want.

That is why when I posted above I wondered why SS might not have a 'smart' casual bar for those at night who don't want to dress in tails and ball gowns.

You've paid for your cruise, I think it's a disgrace they don't and I find it condescending if not rude when other posters suggest going on Carnival if that is what I want.

Although outwardly you would be hard pushed to know it, I survived a major life threatening crash 10 yrs ago and had to retire totally hence my time available to cruise or holiday this was against what I wanted to do which was carrying on my career due to my health and ability to function [i only mean dress and walk distances etc not bodily functions] without the aid of my lovely partner and for those who dont know its a lot easier for me and for my partner for me to dress in casual clothing. It's not an insult to other passengers who I again say I love to see dressed up, it's in my case necessity.

I don't get it where people go on about dress codes as if this was North Korea-On-Sea.

I 100% agree that SS is special and people in general go on the line for the 'upmarket' experience. But that should not mean draconian codes of dress. I would also argue it's a cost saving excercise that SS doesn't have formal meal sittings every night for those who want them, not a choice for the passengers.

As for someone above mentioning another group or person who mentioned loudly 'Look at her' as wrong as that was and completely unforgivable I would hazard a guess that the statement 'Look at that whoever' would have been made by a passenger a lot more often if the other pasenger(s) were not in full uniform of Dinner jaket and dickie bow tie. Just as wrong.

Anyway as always I digress and want to turn this thread back to the original context.

I LIKE SILVERSEAS.

ps I'm going to try and be a clever dick now and add pics, none of me I'm as round as I am tall :)

============================

Smart Casual

Canvas/Linen trousers

Linen-trousers.jpg

Pressed Shorts

haggar-cool-18-no-iron-shorts-big-tall.jpg

Pressed Polo Shirts

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6S4oqgioLIHggVrROna-_DUpyDEqysl1kcQvpOf7qAJ0um-VH

Canvas shoes/sandals

clothes do not make the man, or woman.

except perhaps if you are the emperor.

i vote for togas and jello shots.

i am excited about my upcoming cruise on Silversea.

i love the beachboys and the beatles.

heck i even like ginger baker, a lot.

thanks for the interesting post.

agree, lets get back to reality.

Except perhaps if you are the emperor.

I vote for togas and jello shots.

I am excited about my upcoming cruise on silversea.

I love the beachboys and the beatles.

Heck i even like ginger baker, a lot.

Thanks for the interesting post.

Agree, lets get back to reality.

:) :)

I was on a cruise once that had a toga night (optional) in the MDR. They passed out sheets during the day and had prizes for the best dressed toga wearers.

I was on a cruise once that had a toga night (optional) in the MDR. They passed out sheets during the day and had prizes for the best dressed toga wearers.

I don't know if they would've had a sheet big enough to go round me :)

Drat, just missed the halloween do too. :mad:

I guess recreating the tale of the "emperor's new clothes" in the MDR on Toga night wouldn't go over so well...

:)

Emperors new clothes........?

I'm tempted to start a fund up now, all donations gratefully accepted. 'The Fund For Billy to Keep ANY clothing on in the MDR'. Jeans, cut down shorts, baseball cap on backwards or sideways, hoodie. Anything but not bare all fund.

I need to work on a more catchy acronym friendly name for this fund..!!

:)

I could tell immediately that you live in the U.S. I would guess that the majority of people in the U.S. over the age of 50 love the Beach Boys and the Beatles.:)

While we prefer dressing a bit less formal than that do on Silversea, it is worth dressing up in order to experience sailing with them. Prior to sailing Silversea for the first time, we almost cancelled based on some of the comments made on Cruise Critic about the dress code. Fortunately we found the passengers on our sailings to be delightful.