Norwegian Epic Time Lapse

csphoto

Finally got around to putting this together from our cruise last November on the Norwegian Epic to the Eastern Caribbean. Used a GoPro HD Hero2 on interval attached to the railing on our balcony. Enjoy...

That was great. I actually thought of doing that on my last cruise on the Star, but I guess I just got too lazy.

I wish more people would do this.

EDIT. How often did it take a photo? Every 5 minutes?

That was great. I actually thought of doing that on my last cruise on the Star, but I guess I just got too lazy.

I wish more people would do this.

EDIT. How often did it take a photo? Every 5 minutes?

every 5 seconds

WOW! So enjoyed watching, thanks for your efforts and for sharing. Not familiar with the camera, but just googled it. Does it "come out" as a video, or do you have to compile still shots yourself into a video?

I've been thinking about this for a while now since a friend got his Go Pro for his skydiving videos...Nifty little camera!

Few questions if I may ask...

What mount did you use for this video? Was this attached to the railing, or elsewhere on the balcony?

How did you keep a power supply to the camera without causing interruptions to your shots? Also, what type of memory card did you use?

And how did you manage to keep the steward from removing it? Did he even notice, or did you guys ask him not to mess with it?

Thanks!

Ok, to answer everyone's questions...

Yes, we were on Deck 9, starboard. Don't remember the exact room but very close it midship in a standard balcony room.

The GoPro camera is very small and comes with a waterproof (to 150ft I believe) and shock proof case. So no need to worry about salt spray or environmental issues. The battery lasts for about 3 to 3.5 hours so most my timelapses I set up the camera on a 5 second interval and left it there until I got back from the days activities. It would just stop when it died. I tried to come back to it mid-day to charge it back up to do another timelapse leaving the port of call or sunset (wasn't always successfull at this). I used a gorillapod (http://joby.com/gorillapod) to attach it to the top of the railing. It worked perfectly by wrapping right around it. I never said anything to the cabin steward. They never touched it. I used a 32gb Class 10 SD card in it.

What you get out of the camera is a bunch of 11 megapixel images that need to be put together in the computer to make a video. I'm a professional photographer with a background in video production so what I used isn't something the average person is going to have but I'll describe how I did it for the ones who want to know. I'm sure you could use more consumer level software for this as well. I imported all the images (ended up with about 15k from my whole trip) into Adobe Lightroom for color adjustments, enhancements and exposure adjustments. Then I imported all the adjusted images into Apple Final Cut Pro, set each image to 1 frame each in a 24 frames per a sec sequence. This first sequence was set to the actual size and aspect ratio of the original images (which is 4:3, finished video was 1080p 16:9) and exported this sequence to a stand alone video file. I reimported this video file into a standard 1080p sequence (this enables you to be able to crop and position the video in the frame how you would like it), edited, added music and exported again. Then, finally, I used Apple Compressor to compress the video for the web and uploaded it to YouTube. I hope this all made sense. If any of you have any further questions fire away...

Also, if anyone is currous to see my professional work my website is http://www.shepard-photography.com

Ok, to answer everyone's questions...

Yes, we were on Deck 9, starboard. Don't remember the exact room but very close it midship in a standard balcony room.

The GoPro camera is very small and comes with a waterproof (to 150ft I believe) and shock proof case. So no need to worry about salt spray or environmental issues. The battery lasts for about 3 to 3.5 hours so most my timelapses I set up the camera on a 5 second interval and left it there until I got back from the days activities. It would just stop when it died. I tried to come back to it mid-day to charge it back up to do another timelapse leaving the port of call or sunset (wasn't always successfull at this). I used a gorillapod (http://joby.com/gorillapod) to attach it to the top of the railing. It worked perfectly by wrapping right around it. I never said anything to the cabin steward. They never touched it. I used a 32gb Class 10 SD card in it.

What you get out of the camera is a bunch of 11 megapixel images that need to be put together in the computer to make a video. I'm a professional photographer with a background in video production so what I used isn't something the average person is going to have but I'll describe how I did it for the ones who want to know. I'm sure you could use more consumer level software for this as well. I imported all the images (ended up with about 15k from my whole trip) into Adobe Lightroom for color adjustments, enhancements and exposure adjustments. Then I imported all the adjusted images into Apple Final Cut Pro, set each image to 1 frame each in a 24 frames per a sec sequence. This first sequence was set to the actual size and aspect ratio of the original images (which is 4:3, finished video was 1080p 16:9) and exported this sequence to a stand alone video file. I reimported this video file into a standard 1080p sequence (this enables you to be able to crop and position the video in the frame how you would like it), edited, added music and exported again. Then, finally, I used Apple Compressor to compress the video for the web and uploaded it to YouTube. I hope this all made sense. If any of you have any further questions fire away...

Also, if anyone is currous to see my professional work my website is www.shepard-photography.com

Thank you! I will have to look into some of this!

Archived