Who use a lanyard on-board?

Hi there!

Some cruisers have reported having trouble either losing their sea-card or having it de-magnitised with other magnetic items.

Myself, I use a lanyard! I have to use one for work to get in and out of the office so it's no big deal to me!

Some may think it's daggy but it's so convenient!

What about you? Do you use a lanyard?

Gae

I personally hate the lanyards for a number of reasons. I will never wear one, would not be seen dead wearing one and neither would I approve of allowing my dog to wear one (if I had a dog). I find them inconvenient, they look stupid and I have no desire to look like an exhibit. I keep a single leather fold over wallet with one single sleave for the cruise card and that is it. If I go ashore I take my real wallet with cruise card in a separate pocket.

I always use one, its easy and you dont need pockets or a bag.

I did a section of the Aurora World Cruise this year and the brits tended frown on lanyards on that cruise.

We did a section of a world cruise on the Arcadia a few years ago and found the brits frowned about everything Aussies did. By the way we use lanyards hubbys even has a bottle opener built in.

I wear my lanyard, as said, it's easy don't need pockets etc. I also have a RCI pocket/folder (I will call a thingy) that they hand out at M&M, I put my sea pass and photo ID in it when I go ashore. The thingy can be worn around your neck for convenience, both on and off the ship, then it can stowed in my backpack with my camera, or put in my pocket.

The thingy also has a notepad and pen which is always handy. :D

I use a lanyard...I have a whole collection of different patterns, convenient for me. Someone here cannot answer a simple yes or no without the over top comments ...the list of what you don't like is endless and frankly my dear we don't give a damn.

mmm in the case of brits any nation that wears hankerchief knotted on head and sandals with socks is not a reliable source of fashion advice...lol.

Sue

I use a lanyard...I have a whole collection of different patterns, convenient for me. Someone here cannot answer a simple yes or no without the over top comments ...the list of what you don't like is endless and frankly my dear we don't give a damn.

mmm in the case of brits any nation that wears hankerchief knotted on head and sandals with socks is not a reliable source of fashion advice...lol.

Sue

Love your comment about Brits.. Had to chuckle at the descriptions. But you forgot one essential item of clothing - the ubiquitous football shirt! Why some Brits seem to pack nothing but football tops when they go on vacation is a mystery!

But please don't tar all Brits with the same brush - we wouldn't be seen DEAD in sandals with socks or with a knotted handkerchief on our heads and we DONT wear football shirts. And we have some wonderful and affordable clothes shops in the UK which offer great fashion, something we find difficult to acquire in the USA.

One of the reasons we love cruising on American ships is cruising with Americans rather than Brits who can sometimes be very obnoxious on holiday.

But in all fairness to my fellow Brits, and without meaning to be rude, some American also have very little dress sense!;)

I don't, but mainly because I hate the feeling of the strap around my neck. I rarely wear necklaces for the same reason.

On our cruise last year if I didn't have pockets I just let the, ah, "girls" hold things ;) I loved not having to schlep a bag around everywhere.

DW wears a lanyard - women's clothing is often devoid of pockets. :eek:

I use a spring loaded cord gadget that clips on my belt or waistband.

Both were purchased on board a RCI ship.

Both came with a clear plastic sleeve to carry the card but we've ditched these and get a hole punched in the card. This saves pulling the card out of the sleeve to open our stateroom door or to "ding" each time we go ashore or return to the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I love wearing a lanyard, to me it means l am on a cruise.

Sutho, l know you have a right to voice your opinion but could you tone down your replies...everyone thinks you are a joke now.....you have done yourself a diservice by expressing your opinions in a generally bombastic tone continuously to the point where whatever you say is treated with scorn even if on the rare occasion you actually do have a valid point.

I love wearing a lanyard' date=' to me it means l am on a cruise.

Sutho, l know you have a right to voice your opinion but could you tone down your replies...everyone thinks you are a joke now.....you have done yourself a diservice by expressing your opinions in a generally bombastic tone continuously to the point where whatever you say is treated with scorn even if on the rare occasion you actually do have a valid point.[/quote']

Ditto.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

I love wearing a lanyard' date=' to me it means l am on a cruise.

Sutho, l know you have a right to voice your opinion but could you tone down your replies...everyone thinks you are a joke now.....you have done yourself a diservice by expressing your opinions in a generally bombastic tone continuously to the point where whatever you say is treated with scorn even if on the rare occasion you actually do have a valid point.[/quote']

It doesn't bother me what others do and like. I am just saying its something I don't do because I just hate the idea of it. I have found it more convenient to have my card in my pocket. The only thing that I will ever put around my neck on holidays is a camera strap. There is only one person above that has really taken exception to my views. It is quite flattering that some actually really seem to care so much about what I have to say. I am aware that the British will not wear them and the Americans are more like sheep. Some will, some wont, Americans are more open to new ways in that sense but they wont have a bar of it if they don't like it. One thing I am fairly certain of is that the Australian cruisers who started on an international line are probably less likely to want to wear one. I am guessing the lanyard brigade was born on P&O Australia and infiltrated the other lines as cruising boomed in Australia. Think of it this way. When you start something new the rules are indoctrinated into you. If your first cruise was with fellow cruisers who wear a lanyard then you will think it is the norm and follow suit. If you start on a cruise where no lanyards are worn then that is the norm and you adapt to the that norm. People are sheep. People like to follow a leader. When people see how things are done the rules are set early. I on the other hand am different. No one sets rules for me and I do my own thing.

Sue

That is such a good reply! There is no need for people with such over the top comments.

And yes I wear a lanyard, and my DH does too. Can't lose that card as you can't purchase any drinks :)

DW wears a lanyard - women's clothing is often devoid of pockets. :eek:

I use a spring loaded cord gadget that clips on my belt or waistband.

Both were purchased on board a RCI ship.

Both came with a clear plastic sleeve to carry the card but we've ditched these and get a hole punched in the card.

We both wear lanyards and just tuck it discreetly under our shirts. Chris was using one of those clear plastic sleeves until she realized (after 4 replacement cards) that the action of taking the card out created static electricity which demagnetised the card.:(

I use a lanyard with a clip for my camera so I don't lose it overboard when leaning over. When The Endeavour was passed by QM2 last year, she let off canon fire and we all jumped as we weren't expecting it. Could very well have dropped the camera overboard with the trusty lanyard.

And that is also where Aussie Flyer got her Avatar picture from.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373287411.957116.jpg.9e241097e5d6fdb2bc421d7ecbf2d2d1.jpg

I started cruising on ships when you didn't have cruise cards, but I now wear a lanyard because my clothes do not have pockets. (I hate carrying a bag around all the time.) At night times I put my card in my husband's pocket BUT I have sometimes forgotten and gone back to the cabin and can't get in. Grrrrr. Lanyards have their uses.

I used to wear my camera on the lanyard as well because I was afraid of dropping it overboard, however found it demagnetised my cruise card. :cool:

Archived