Lisbon cruise ship terminal Holland America to Belem

We would like to travel to Belem from the cruise ship terminal. It is our first time in Lisbon. I believe from reading that tram 15 goes to Belem. Where would be wait for the tram and can we buy tickets when we board? Thank you for your help. :)

We would like to travel to Belem from the cruise ship terminal. It is our first time in Lisbon. I believe from reading that tram 15 goes to Belem. Where would be wait for the tram and can we buy tickets when we board? Thank you for your help. :)

Tram 15 goes to Belem. However, it travels near but not exactly by the cruise ship terminal. I could provide directions to tram 15 from your cruise terminal if I knew what ship you are on. On May 2 the Prinsendam comes into the Rocha terminal. On May 5 the Rotterdam comes into the Jardim do Tabaco terminal. On May 11 the Noordam comes into the Alcântara terminal. Each terminal requires a different approach to get to tram 15. There are also other ways to get to Belém, other than tram 15.

You can buy tickets on board. I believe they are €2.85 each for a single one-way trip. Exact change will speed things up. If you have the time, you should buy a day pass (they are NOT sold on board). Day passes are good on all urban buses, trams, and metro, and cost €5.00. So it will be cheaper than two one-ways on the trams, and you won't have to spend a lot of time trying to make change for every trip. But first you have to buy that day pass :-)

Tram 15 goes to Belem. However, it travels near but not exactly by the cruise ship terminal. I could provide directions to tram 15 from your cruise terminal if I knew what ship you are on. On May 2 the Prinsendam comes into the Rocha terminal. On May 5 the Rotterdam comes into the Jardim do Tabaco terminal. On May 11 the Noordam comes into the Alcântara terminal. Each terminal requires a different approach to get to tram 15. There are also other ways to get to Belém, other than tram 15.

You can buy tickets on board. I believe they are €2.85 each for a single one-way trip. Exact change will speed things up. If you have the time, you should buy a day pass (they are NOT sold on board). Day passes are good on all urban buses, trams, and metro, and cost €5.00. So it will be cheaper than two one-ways on the trams, and you won't have to spend a lot of time trying to make change for every trip. But first you have to buy that day pass :-)

We will be arriving on the Noordam. Thank you for letting us know it will be the Alcantara terminal. How should we go to Belem from there? Thanks so much for your helpful response. :)

We will be arriving on the Noordam. Thank you for letting us know it will be the Alcantara terminal. How should we go to Belem from there? Thanks so much for your helpful response. :)

Lucky you. Alcântara is the closest to Belém.

Here is how you get from the Alcântara maritime terminal to Belém.

• Walking: it's about 3 to 5 km (depending on where in Belém you want to start), takes 45 minutes to one hour at a good pace. Just follow along the river bank, you can't get lost. It is safe. When you get to the Belém train station you have to decide whether to stay river-side or cross to go land-side, as here is one of the very few chances to cross the railroad track using a pedestrian bridge. There are attractions on both sides of the tracks. Belém Tower, Discoveries Monument, and Electricity and Folk Art museums are on the river side; Jerónimos Monastery, Presidential Palace, Pastéis de Belém (the custard cakes), and all other museums are on the land side.
  • Taxi: fastest. Costs about 4€ to 6€, for up to 4 passengers. You have to tell the driver exactly where in Belém you want to go, because that will determine whether he drives on the river side or land side of the railroad tracks. The only bridge for cars to cross is right there in front of the maritime terminal (next bridge is well past Belém). So your driver needs to know where in Belém you want to go before starting off.
  • Train: Suburban train operated by CP. From the maritime terminal walk straight ahead. After about 200 meters, you will see stairs going down into a tunnel. Take them. Inside the tunnel you will find ticket machines and a ticket office. Buy tickets, €2.05 each. Euros cash or Portuguese ATM cards only, no credit cards or foreign cards. Take the stairs or escalators up to the platform, train direction Cascais (it's the platform closest to where you entered the tunnel). Every train stops here, but only every other train stops at Belém. Make sure you get on a train that stops at Belém. Trains that stop at Belém come every 20 minutes peak, every 30 minutes off-peak. Belém station is the first stop, and the trip takes 2 minutes. Yes, that is two whole minutes.
  • Bus # 28: From the maritime terminal walk straight ahead, take the same tunnel as if going to the train, and continue straight to the other end of the tunnel. Exit the tunnel to your right. There will will find a bus stop. Take bus # 28 toward Restelo-Av.Descobertas. The bus comes about every 15 minutes and takes about 5 to 10 minutes to get to Belém. Pay the driver, €1.75.
  • Tram # 15E: From the maritime terminal walk straight ahead, take the same tunnel as if going to the train, and continue straight to the other end of the tunnel. Exit the tunnel to your left. Walk another 200 meters and you will see tram tracks. Turn left or right along the tracks to the nearest tram stop. Get on tram # 15E, going towards Algés. Pay the driver or conductor, €2.85. Note that tram 15E is not a classic old Lisbon tram, it is a modern tram as you will find in many European cities. All the other trams and old classics, but 15E is modern.

There you go. That should get you to Belém. Enjoy.

Where would I buy the 5 Euro day pass? Is it good on Trams, busses or both?

That's the trick. Locals know, but it's somewhat hard for visitors.

First you need to buy a support card, which is a magnetic card on which you can then load your day pass. The support card costs €0.50. It comes under two names, and I was never able to figure out the difference between the two. They are called Viva Viagem and 7 Colinas. Get either. Here is the info on it. http://www.carris.pt/en/7-colinas-and-viva-viagem

Then you need to load a 24 hours ticket for the Carris & Metro networks. Carris is the company that operates virtually all urban busses and trams. Metro is, well, the metro. The two companies are in the process of merging, so depending on when your cruise is they may have already merged by the time you get here. Anyway, as far as the day pass goes, they are already selling this integrated pass. So you load a 5€ 24-hour ticket onto your support card. The 24 hours do not start counting until your board your first transport.

Then you have to validate the ticket. When you enter the first bus/tram/metro, you will tap your card as you enter, hear a beep, and you're all set for 24 hours on Carris busses, trams, and Metro. Card is not valid on special busses, such as the HOHO operated by Carris, or the Aerobus.

Now back to your original question: where do you buy these things? The good news is that you can buy both the support card and charge it in the same place. You can buy them at any Metro station or retail outlets. List of retail outlets is at http://www.carris.pt/en/sales-network-description/ . Look for Payshop shops, post offices, and MOB shops. The bad news is that these are not conspicuously present at the cruise terminals or tourist spots. They are intended for locals, so you'll find them mostly in residential neighborhoods and business areas. For example, as far as I know the only sales outlet at the Lisbon airport is inside the employee-only area (building 27), not accessible to the general public, and open only M-F 9-5. Not really for tourists. There aren't any right at the port in Alcântara, you may have to walk 500-800 meters to find one, and you have to know what to look for. There are quite a few near the Santa Apolónia cruise terminal, because Santa Apolónia is a major transportation hub (metro station, train station).

A word of caution. These "Viva Viagem" cards are incredibly confusing. They are sold by many operators around Lisbon (Carris, Metro, train companies CP and Fertagus, and ferry companies Transtejo and Soflusa). They all cost €0.50. They all look exactly alike.

viva_viagem.jpg

Yet you cannot load a ticket from one company onto a support card from another company. Go figure. If you live here, after you travel around the area a bit you will have accumulated a bunch of identical looking cards, and it's hard to tell what company each card belongs too (the first two letters of the serial number are your clue).

Further, you cannot even load different tickets from the same company onto the same support card. So, for example, if you want to have single-trip Carris tickets and day passes, you have to get two support cards from Carris. The cards look entirely identical, except for their serial number. People end up having 4 or 5 cards in their wallets, all looking exactly alike. As a result, people often resort to writing on the cards what each is for. It's a complicated mess.

Also, any suggestions on how to spend a day in port using the trams and/or busses

Lots, and depends on your interests. Since this thread is about Belem, I will focus on the Belem area.

I found this nice Belém map online.

Belem.jpg

Notice the red path. It is a suggested walking itinerary. I can't find the legend for it, so I will write it here.

A few things about the area. Notice the train tracks. These tracks are a big barrier between the land side and river side of Belém. There are no vehicle crossings whatsoever, and there are only three pedestrian crossings (where the red line crosses the tracks). There are fences preventing crossing at any others points.

Notice also the two avenues running adjacent to the train tracks, on both sides. Traffic is often fast there (speed limit of 50 km/h is frequently exceeded). Cross only at crosswalks, and wait for your light.

So let's start with the walking tour. Start near the #1. Actually, I am going to start by pointing out another interesting spot, let's call it 0. It's that pink rectangle right where the red line starts, to the right of #1. That is the Museu Nacional dos Coches -- National Coaches Museum, with a world-class collection of royal carriages and coaches. Worth a visit, if yu have time. Now on to the numbered items on the map.

1. Presidential Palace - Belém Palace). There is a museum and the presidential palace itself. The palace is only open to visitors on weekends and holidays (except if there is some official business going on), as it is used as the working office of the president. The museum (Museu da Presidência) is open daily and features portuguese history, significant presidential moments, important visits by foreign heads of states, and many gifts that were received by Portuguese presidents over the years. On the third Sunday of each month at 11 a.m. there is a changing of the guard ceremony in front of the palace.
  2. Pastéis de Belém. This is where you get your famous custard cakes. There will probably be a line outside. You can either eat in in one of the rooms adorned with old tile, or take a set of pastéis to go. Or both. Yes, that's it, both.
  3. Tropical Botanical Garden This is only worth a stop if you are into plants, and tropical plants at that. You have to know what you are looking at, because most of the signage is in Portuguese.
  4. Mosteiro dos Jerónimos. This 16th century monastery is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a must visit. You should visit the church (free) and the cloisters (pay).
  5. National Archeological Museum Interesting if you are interested in pre-historic artifacts or jewelry
  6. Planetarium may be difficult to visit, you would have to be lucky that a public session that nterests you happens to be starting at the time you're there. Many sessions are only for school groups.
  7. Naval Museum has actually quite interesting collection given Portugal's naval history. The museum layout and exhibits are a bit antiquated, though. But there are many jewels in the rough here.
  8. Centro Cultural e Belém -- Belém Cultural Center has interesting exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, featuring mostly modern art. There are also frequent concerns and performances, but those tend to be in the evenings, after cruise ships have sailed
  9. Praça do Império are gardens and a fountain.
  10. Padrão dos Descobrimentos -- Discoveries Monument celebrates the discoveries. Look at it from the outside, or climb inside to the top.
  11. Museu de Arte Popular - Folk Art Museum has local folk art exhibits and hands-on workshops, but is probably a pass, unless you know Portuguese and/or have plenty of time.
  12. Doca do Bom Sucesso is one of the numerous recreational marinas on the Lisbon waterfront. Just walk past, you can't go in anyway.
  13. Torre de Belém -- Belém Tower is the little tower that you have seen on so many Lisbon shots. Take pictures form outside and go inside to explore. It's small, probably smaller than you envisioned from the grand images. A must visit.
  14. Forte do Bom Sucesso is a military fort hosting a museum commemorating the portuguese soldier. By the time you get to this point you have walked to much and seen so many museums that you probably can't stand another one. Your call.
  15. No idea what this is
  16. These are just gardens, and a long haul from 14/15. If you are into gardens you could have visited together with 0 or 1. Otherwise, safe to skip.
  17. This is just a passenger ferry station. Unless you are catching a ferry across the river, this is a safe miss.
  18. Museu da Electricidade -- Electricity Museum is actually a very neat and unexpected museum for this area. The building if the former power plant for the entire city, formerly know as Central Tejo. After it closed as a power plant, it was converted to museum. The old furnaces and turbines are still there, all with good audio-visual aids and explanations in multiple languages. If you are into science, especially electricity, this is a very good museum.

Most of the monuments and museum have admission fees. Three ways to cut costs: (1) be young (<14) or senior (>65) ; (2) go on Sundays before 2 pm ; (3) get a Lisboa Card (€18,50 for 24 hours, includes bus, tram and metro)

Also, note that most monuments and museums are closed on Mondays.

So if I get the Lisboa Card I would not need to mess with the 5 Euro Tram card.

Correct.

I assume it is easier to find the Lisboa card?

It is sold at tourist outlets: airport arrivals hall, main railway station, and major tourist spots such as Belém. Unfortunately, I don't think it's sold at cruise terminals (well, if your ship comes into the Santa Apolónia cruise terminal the main railway station is directly across, so you could buy it there).

Alternatively, you can pre-buy it online.

Correct.

It is sold at tourist outlets: airport arrivals hall, main railway station, and major tourist spots such as Belém. Unfortunately, I don't think it's sold at cruise terminals (well, if your ship comes into the Santa Apolónia cruise terminal the main railway station is directly across, so you could buy it there).

Alternatively, you can pre-buy it online.

We cannot thank you enough for the wealth of information you have so generously provided. :)

To check exact docking spot go to http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_PORTO_LISBOA_ING/CRUZEIROS/PREVISAO_NAVIOS_CRUZEIRO and put you filters (date, line, etc) and then find the quay. Looks like HAL ships dock at Alcantara (at least for this spring) TPA = Alcantara, TPSA = St.Applolonia Just take the taxi from there; cheap & fast; it very close. You'll see lots of drivers as you disembark the ship. CP train ride is also fast (just 1 stop from Alcantara Mar to Belem) but for couple of euros difference I wouldn't bother.

That's the trick. Locals know, but it's somewhat hard for visitors.

First you need to buy a support card, which is a magnetic card on which you can then load your day pass. The support card costs €0.50. It comes under two names, and I was never able to figure out the difference between the two. They are called Viva Viagem and 7 Colinas. Get either. Here is the info on it. http://www.carris.pt/en/7-colinas-and-viva-viagem

Then you need to load a 24 hours ticket for the Carris & Metro networks. Carris is the company that operates virtually all urban busses and trams. Metro is, well, the metro. The two companies are in the process of merging, so depending on when your cruise is they may have already merged by the time you get here. Anyway, as far as the day pass goes, they are already selling this integrated pass. So you load a 5€ 24-hour ticket onto your support card. The 24 hours do not start counting until your board your first transport.

Then you have to validate the ticket. When you enter the first bus/tram/metro, you will tap your card as you enter, hear a beep, and you're all set for 24 hours on Carris busses, trams, and Metro. Card is not valid on special busses, such as the HOHO operated by Carris, or the Aerobus.

Now back to your original question: where do you buy these things? The good news is that you can buy both the support card and charge it in the same place. You can buy them at any Metro station or retail outlets. List of retail outlets is at http://www.carris.pt/en/sales-network-description/ . Look for Payshop shops, post offices, and MOB shops. The bad news is that these are not conspicuously present at the cruise terminals or tourist spots. They are intended for locals, so you'll find them mostly in residential neighborhoods and business areas. For example, as far as I know the only sales outlet at the Lisbon airport is inside the employee-only area (building 27), not accessible to the general public, and open only M-F 9-5. Not really for tourists. There aren't any right at the port in Alcântara, you may have to walk 500-800 meters to find one, and you have to know what to look for. There are quite a few near the Santa Apolónia cruise terminal, because Santa Apolónia is a major transportation hub (metro station, train station).

A word of caution. These "Viva Viagem" cards are incredibly confusing. They are sold by many operators around Lisbon (Carris, Metro, train companies CP and Fertagus, and ferry companies Transtejo and Soflusa). They all cost €0.50. They all look exactly alike.

viva_viagem.jpg

Yet you cannot load a ticket from one company onto a support card from another company. Go figure. If you live here, after you travel around the area a bit you will have accumulated a bunch of identical looking cards, and it's hard to tell what company each card belongs too (the first two letters of the serial number are your clue).

Further, you cannot even load different tickets from the same company onto the same support card. So, for example, if you want to have single-trip Carris tickets and day passes, you have to get two support cards from Carris. The cards look entirely identical, except for their serial number. People end up having 4 or 5 cards in their wallets, all looking exactly alike. As a result, people often resort to writing on the cards what each is for. It's a complicated mess.

You obviously have a lot more knowledge about Lisbon than I do. However I will share our experience when we docked at the Alcantara terminal earlier this month. We did as you said, crossed through the tunnel and up to the street. Walked to the right, until we came to a very small newspaper stand. It was not very far. Of course it always seems further when you're not sure where you are going. This was actually the second time we have done this. I asked the man for 4 Bilhete 1 dia CARRIS/ML 24 horas Rede tickets. I got that wording off the Carris web-site. He seemed to know what I wanted. Those tickets were amazingly good. Allowing travel on the buses, subway, trams and elevators. We were in Lisbon over night and could use our tickets on 2 days for the 24 hour period.

It was all very easy. I hope they don't complicate it too much.

See you soon

Mae

You obviously have a lot more knowledge about Lisbon than I do. However I will share our experience when we docked at the Alcantara terminal earlier this month. We did as you said, crossed through the tunnel and up to the street. Walked to the right, until we came to a very small newspaper stand. It was not very far. Of course it always seems further when you're not sure where you are going. This was actually the second time we have done this. I asked the man for 4 Bilhete 1 dia CARRIS/ML 24 horas Rede tickets. I got that wording off the Carris web-site. He seemed to know what I wanted. Those tickets were amazingly good. Allowing travel on the buses, subway, trams and elevators. We were in Lisbon over night and could use our tickets on 2 days for the 24 hour period.

It is easy, IF you find a sales outlet. Looks like you found one, and when you do the whole thing is easy. Next week I will try to take some time to go around the cruise terminals and look for the nearest ticket sales outlets and post here.

Could you give directions from the Jardim do Tabaco terminal? (We are on Celebrity Constellation on May 15) Our plan is to visit Jeronimos Monastery and go to Pasteis de Belem. Would the tram number and stops be the same for returning to the ship?

Thank you!

Could you give directions from the Jardim do Tabaco terminal? (We are on Celebrity Constellation on May 15) Our plan is to visit Jeronimos Monastery and go to Pasteis de Belem. Would the tram number and stops be the same for returning to the ship?

Thank you!

The only direct public transportation from Jardim do Tabaco to Belém is bus 28 (link). The stop across from Jardim do Tabaco is called Casa Conto, and the one you want in Belém is Mosteiro Jerónimos. As you can see in the linked bus schedule, it's 13 stops, and takes a little over 20 minutes.

To return, take bus 28 in the opposite direction (link).

If you really want a tram, you should walk 1 km west along the river from Jardim do Tabaco to Praça do Comércio, from where you can take tram 15 to Belém (link). Keep in mind that tram 15 is NOT a classic vintage Lisbon tram, but a regular modern tram as found in many other European cities.

See you soon

Mae

Mae is absolutely right. I went there and checked it out myself.

When you come out of the Alcântara terminal (NOT the other terminals, different instructions would apply at other terminals) walk straight ahead about 150 meters. You will see an entrance leading down into a tunnel.

IMG_1486.jpg

Take it. Go down into the tunnel.

IMG_1487.jpg

The tunnel looks a bit creepy and gloomy, full of graffiti and poorly lit. Despite its appearance, it is perfectly safe. Go on in.

Of course the tunnel is not a pleasant place to hang around, so you'll just keep moving all the way through the tunnel, and soon you'll get to the other end.

There will be stairs to your rights, and stairs and escalator to your left.

IMG_1491.jpg

Take the stairs or escalator to your left

As you exit the tunnel, and without crossing any streets, continue down this pedestrian boulevard.

IMG_1497.jpg

After about 200 meters, just before you come to the a cross street, you will see the newsstand.

IMG_1500.jpg

For those if you GPS geeks, the newsstand is at N38.70420 W9.17439.

Now, I stopped and chatted with the gentleman who runs the newsstand. It's a one man operation. He loves cruisers, and loves selling tickets to tourists. He speaks Portuguese and French, and understands basic English to make a transaction and give basic directions.

There is a price sheet on his window with the prices of the day passes. He is very used to selling these. If you have a language barrier, just point as his price sheet, indicate the number of tickets with your fingers, and you're all set.

IMG_1501.jpg

Payment is cash only. You don't need exact change, but you need euros cash. If this is your first Euro zone stop and you need cash, there is an ATM across the street. Ask the gentleman at the newsstand to point you to the nearest MULTIBANCO.

Two notes of caution:

• Since the newsstand is a one man shop, it is not open 24x7. It is typically open Mon-Fri, occasionally on Saturdays, and on Sundays only if the gentleman knows that there will be a ship at the Alcântara terminal that day. And because he does not have internet access, he will only occasionally know about ships on weekends. If your ship comes in on a weekend or holiday, the newsstand may not be open.
  • The newsstand gentleman asked me to remind you all to beware of pickpockets on bus and tram routes most frequented by tourists. Pickpockets come in all shapes and forms. It's not just scruffy looking men. Then can be well dressed persons, women or children. No wallets in back pockets please.

After you get your tickets, buses and trams to Belém or the city center and just a few meters away. To the city center on the same side of the street; to Belém directly across the street.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mae is absolutely right. I went there and checked it out myself.

When you come out of the Alcântara terminal (NOT the other terminals, different instructions would apply at other terminals) walk straight ahead about 150 meters. You will see an entrance leading down into a tunnel.

IMG_1486.jpg

Take it. Go down into the tunnel.

IMG_1487.jpg

The tunnel looks a bit creepy and gloomy, full of graffiti and poorly lit. Despite its appearance, it is perfectly safe. Go on in.

Of course the tunnel is not a pleasant place to hang around, so you'll just keep moving all the way through the tunnel, and soon you'll get to the other end.

There will be stairs to your rights, and stairs and escalator to your left.

IMG_1491.jpg

Take the stairs or escalator to your left

As you exit the tunnel, and without crossing any streets, continue down this pedestrian boulevard.

IMG_1497.jpg

After about 200 meters, just before you come to the a cross street, you will see the newsstand.

IMG_1500.jpg

For those if you GPS geeks, the newsstand is at N38.70420 W9.17439.

Now, I stopped and chatted with the gentleman who runs the newsstand. It's a one man operation. He loves cruisers, and loves selling tickets to tourists. He speaks Portuguese and French, and understands basic English to make a transaction and give basic directions.

There is a price sheet on his window with the prices of the day passes. He is very used to selling these. If you have a language barrier, just point as his price sheet, indicate the number of tickets with your fingers, and you're all set.

IMG_1501.jpg

Payment is cash only. You don't need exact change, but you need euros cash. If this is your first Euro zone stop and you need cash, there is an ATM across the street. Ask the gentleman at the newsstand to point you to the nearest MULTIBANCO.

Two notes of caution:

• Since the newsstand is a one man shop, it is not open 24x7. It is typically open Mon-Fri, occasionally on Saturdays, and on Sundays only if the gentleman knows that there will be a ship at the Alcântara terminal that day. And because he does not have internet access, he will only occasionally know about ships on weekends. If your ship comes in on a weekend or holiday, the newsstand may not be open.
  • The newsstand gentleman asked me to remind you all to beware of pickpockets on bus and tram routes most frequented by tourists. Pickpockets come in all shapes and forms. It's not just scruffy looking men. Then can be well dressed persons, women or children. No wallets in back pockets please.

After you get your tickets, buses and trams to Belém or the city center and just a few meters away. To the city center on the same side of the street; to Belém directly across the street.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

How nice of you to go to all that trouble. Your directions will make it so easy for those wishing to use public transport.

The pickpocket warning is very timely. When we were waiting for the 15 tram to Belem, four teenage girls came to the stop. Their behaviour was rather furtive. While we were waiting, a bus pulled up (not the one we wanted). The driver put her window down, pointed at each girl and said "pickpocket". The girls just sort of melted away from the bus stop.

See you soon

Mae

• 4 weeks later...

Those are wonderful directions with photos, First Time! :) How nice of you to research and post the info.

We will be in Lisbon next May but we will arrive at the Estação Marítima da Rocha. I have never arrived in Lisbon via cruise ship.

Does anyone have a clue where I could purchase the 24 hour pass from Cais da Rocha Conde de Óbidos, (about a five- or 10-minute walk to the east of Alcantara).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jill

Those are wonderful directions with photos, First Time! :) How nice of you to research and post the info.

We will be in Lisbon next May but we will arrive at the Estação Marítima da Rocha. I have never arrived in Lisbon via cruise ship.

Does anyone have a clue where I could purchase the 24 hour pass from Cais da Rocha Conde de Óbidos, (about a five- or 10-minute walk to the east of Alcantara).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jill

Next May? You mean May 2013 and you already know which terminal you'll be at? How did you get that info?

I don't know of any ticket sales outlet near Rocha. I will look and let you know.

Next May? You mean May 2013 and you already know which terminal you'll be at? How did you get that info?

I don't know of any ticket sales outlet near Rocha. I will look and let you know.

Yes, May 2013. We will be on a transatlantic from Miami to Amsterdam with a port day in Lisbon on May 15th.

I found the port info on the "directions to port" page for our cruise. Unless I am reading it wrong, we will be at Rocha.

quote:

Driving Directions and Parking Information

Port of Lisbon

Estação Marítima da Rocha

Rocha Conde D’Óbidos

Lisboa, Portugal

The Port of Lisbon is located approximately 10 miles from Lisbon's International Airport. Travel time between the airport and the pier is approximately 20 to 30 minutes.

A free parking garage is available at the pier.

Taxi fare is approximately 20 EUR. Rates are subject to change. From town - Follow sign to Alcantara, turn south. When in port area, turn east in roundabout.

This would be Rocha, correct? I assume this could change as we have about 11 months until we sail. :)

Thanks for any information you can provide.

jill

Yes, May 2013. We will be on a transatlantic from Miami to Amsterdam with a port day in Lisbon on May 15th.

I found the port info on the "directions to port" page for our cruise. Unless I am reading it wrong, we will be at Rocha.

quote:

Driving Directions and Parking Information

Port of Lisbon

Estação Marítima da Rocha

Rocha Conde D’Óbidos

Lisboa, Portugal

The Port of Lisbon is located approximately 10 miles from Lisbon's International Airport. Travel time between the airport and the pier is approximately 20 to 30 minutes.

A free parking garage is available at the pier.

Taxi fare is approximately 20 EUR. Rates are subject to change. From town - Follow sign to Alcantara, turn south. When in port area, turn east in roundabout.

This would be Rocha, correct? I assume this could change as we have about 11 months until we sail. :)

Thanks for any information you can provide.

jill

Well, yes, that clearly states Rocha. I find that intriguing, because the Port here assigns the terminals, and they only release that info 2 months in advance. Perhaps you cruise line has enough clout to book a specific terminal in advance.

As far as I know, there is no ticket sales outlet convenient to Rocha. I will scout out the area and find out. And clearly I have time.

You should know that the two major public transport companies in Lisbon (Carris and Metro) are in the process of merging, so it's quite likely that there will be changes to tickets and sales outlets between now and May 2013.

Are there any wine shops near any of the cruise ship docks?

As far as I know, there are wine shops inside every cruise terminal. Not sure about Alcântara, but pretty sure about the other three. At Alcântara there is a supermarket (Pingo Doce) within easy walking distance, with a large selection of wines.

Archived