What do you do with your photos?

Hi all -

I was wondering what other cruisers do with the million photos they take on their cruises? Do you just save every one on your computer or put them in photo albums?

I've been trying to pick the best 200 of each cruise and put them in an album. Even that's probably too many! I'm just now finishing up putting my Carnival Pride photos in an album, so I'm very behind!

Load to PC, sort, organize, touch up as necessary, rename and upload to my photo share site. (http://galleries.pptphoto.com/cruising) I don't really have a target number but I have been getting a little more brutal in my criteria for "keepers" of late.

I print very few images except for the occasional enlargement for display in our home. We trade out the wall art every year or so.

Isn't technology wonderful? :)

Dave

I keep all of the originals on an external hard drive. I then do two things with the best ones. I make a web site on one of the photo sites where people can look at them. I also make a video out of them where we can watch the pictures on a PC or TV.

I make gift calendars with my pictures for friends each year. In addition, I bring a limited number of calendars, devoted specifically to the cruise we are taking, for friends who stop by to visit and for crew members who are very helpful. I distributed 2016 Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska calendars while on board last month.

Many of my pictures are posted on my website:

www.rogerjett-photography.com in various categories.

Hi all -

I was wondering what other cruisers do with the million photos they take on their cruises? Do you just save every one on your computer or put them in photo albums?

I've been trying to pick the best 200 of each cruise and put them in an album. Even that's probably too many! I'm just now finishing up putting my Carnival Pride photos in an album, so I'm very behind!

I usually make a photo book through shutterfly. If you wait for a sale you can get a really nice book for under 35 bucks. You place how you want your photos and add text etc and they make the book. I have one from every cruise since I started using a digital camera. VERY easy and not time consuming at all.

A little bit of everything for me. I first load my shots from the camera, sort through and cull out the duplicates and average ones, to arrive at my keeper pile. Then I decide which if any feel like they could use any touchups or crops, and save that as the final batch in a subfolder. I might have 250 keepers to begin with, and 175 in the final gallery that I would share with family or friends.

I'll typically keep my final finished folders linked to an external drive hooked through wifi to my big-screen TV for slideshows. I also print select photos usually for hanging around my office and home. I occasionally sell some photos from my online gallery, or get requests to publish - cruises aren't usually the hot topic, but depending on location I might end up with a bird, a building, or a beach shot that someone wants. I occasionally assemble enough photos that I'll decide to make a book out of them, on a particular subject...I usually don't make a book-per-cruise or anything like that...but I have made books on Florida birds, on Caribbean flavor (locals and towns), on San Juan, PR assembled from multiple trips there, on Disney World from my many trips there, etc. I keep the books usually at work, where they can be perused in the waiting room when clients or representatives come in.

I select my favorites and add them to my background favorites file for our computers. They switch every hour and I never know what I will see when I sit down. My husband also uses them and has started many conversations over them at work.

I share them on facebook and cruise critic with family and friends. :p

I print a favorite or two, my favorite way right now is acrylic prints (I have two more coming next week!).

I have them on a revolving screen in our "world room", which is furnished with "treasures" from all over the world.

I also make books from Shutterfly sometimes.

Vic

Edited by Victress2007

Hi all -

I load them all on to my computer and will delete bad ones. I sort by date and will label the date by location. If I'm a really good girl, I'll label all the pictures. I will post pictures on Facebook and there are a few other online places like One Drive where I upload pictures depending on who wants to see more.

For the three cruises we've been on we will narrow down to 100 pictures to print out and put in an album. I know how hard this is when I have to narrow down 4000+ to 100! I will pick out several 100 to put on our 8 x 10 digital frame which is on our fireplace mantel. Love watching our pictures daily!

Utahtea

I thought the Russians were trying to sell you their photos.....

I keep my original RAW files on my back up drive and on a cloud site to just in case. I have made calendars for our walls, found a few favorites that now hang on our walls in our homes and on out last trip, Australia and New Zealand I made a photo book using Mixbook. That has proven to be a great way to share some of the images with our friends since they can view it online or on my coffee table. Personally I really like the mixbook because I can pick it up off the coffee table from time to time and enjoy those memories again. Oh, I also have an electric photo frame that used to show cruise photos but my granddaughter has taken that over, along with 90% of the framed stuff around the houses.

I need more walls or a less cute kid I guess.....

I transfer mine to my computer & then do a DVD of the best ones for show & tell. During our cruise I do a daily blog with that days pics so family & friends can follow along.

Allan

...I do a daily blog with that days pics so family & friends can follow along.

Family, friends and any ne'er-do-well that knows your house is empty can figure out where you live... ;)

Online presence is so complicated these days.

Dave

I will sort my pictures from the trip, back them up in 3 places, order/make a photo book, and post a few pictures on the forum where appropriate. The initial picture backup was done each day on the trip to 2 different hard drives. Once we arrived home, one of the backup drives was copied to an additional hard drive.

The big challenge will be to create a photo DVD (CDR is too small) of the trip then make a special version which includes family pictures.

Many of our pictures were from the 50's and 60's -- remember those roles of film you had to have a special place to go to get them printed? And the Polarode (?) cameras? Well I had tons of albums of pictures. We were looking at them a couple of years ago. The majority were all faded so we threw them out -- about 70 albums of pictures.

Once digital cameras came out -- I loved that I could delete bad pictures. And I do save them on another site. And I do print out some of them.

Deal alert!

I mentioned that I rarely print but it's the season to start switching out the wall art. I had these printed at 12 x 36 to fit on a small wall area. They came out very well and were only about $30 apiece on canvas with a 1" thick mount and a hanger. Ordered online from Staples Copy and Print Center of all places. Free shipping on orders over $50 too.

p1930408343-5.jpg

We are gradually converting all of our old framed prints to canvas and direct-on-metal. Those formats really do a photo justice! (Illustration shot in bad light with my phone, so don't judge the color by this example).

Dave

Deal alert!

I mentioned that I rarely print but it's the season to start switching out the wall art. I had these printed at 12 x 36 to fit on a small wall area. They came out very well and were only about $30 apiece on canvas with a 1" thick mount and a hanger. Ordered online from Staples Copy and Print Center of all places. Free shipping on orders over $50 too.

p1930408343-5.jpg

We are gradually converting all of our old framed prints to canvas and direct-on-metal. Those formats really do a photo justice! (Illustration shot in bad light with my phone, so don't judge the color by this example).

Dave

Someone was at Ft Williams park in Cape Elizabeth Me. :D

I store my photos on two separate hard drives and also in the cloud.

I usually do photo books from my cruises.

Either one per cruise or one per year, depending of how many cruises I do per year (usually only one).

Photo%20book%201_zpsmsn6geco.jpg

Photo%20book%202_zpsc9ytlugp.jpg

/Erik