Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > P&O Cruises ( Australia )
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM
LuckiePuris's Avatar
LuckiePuris LuckiePuris is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,866
Default Pacific Dawn - Diversion From Wala

Hi, while going thru threads, I found the following one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...highlight=w801

It basically states that a visit to Wala will not go ahead.

Is this stll current? Will it apply to Pacific Dawn?

It was mentioned in the thread, that instead cruisers will go to Isle of Pines or Mystery Island. But what if you're already going to those islands...would you go to the same island twice?

Why haven't P&O issued a statement publically?

Thanks for the help Fellow Cruisers!
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:17 AM
arxcards arxcards is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 5,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckiePuris View Post
Hi, while going thru threads, I found the following one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...highlight=w801

It basically states that a visit to Wala will not go ahead.

Is this stll current? Will it apply to Pacific Dawn?

It was mentioned in the thread, that instead cruisers will go to Isle of Pines or Mystery Island. But what if you're already going to those islands...would you go to the same island twice?

Why haven't P&O issued a statement publically?

Thanks for the help Fellow Cruisers!
Ahh, you leave the day before me from Sydney. I am on an almost identical itinerary on Sun Princess. When you depart, I will be waving feverishly from the waterfront at Macmahons point. Make sure you give my video a smile & a wave.

They have made announcements. If it affects your cruise, you will be advised through your T\A. It will apply to early cruises on Pacific Dawn.

Champagne Bay is the first alternative for skipping Wala, which we are both doing as well.

An announcement has not been made for our cruises yet. As you can tell by the date on the other thread, it would have been a bit early to decide. The hope is that the prob on Wala will settle down, and we will cruise as planned.
Check regularly on the cruise personaliser for any updates. I think it is unlikely we will do the same island twice.

Cheers
Geoff
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:44 AM
arxcards arxcards is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 5,485
Default A link 4 you

LuckiePuris,
Not sure if you have seen the roll call section.

This link may be of interest - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=543815

Cheers
__________________
Cheers
Geoff
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:48 AM
LuckiePuris's Avatar
LuckiePuris LuckiePuris is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxcards View Post
Ahh, you leave the day before me from Sydney. I am on an almost identical itinerary on Sun Princess. When you depart, I will be waving feverishly from the waterfront at Macmahons point. Make sure you give my video a smile & a wave.

They have made announcements. If it affects your cruise, you will be advised through your T\A. It will apply to early cruises on Pacific Dawn.

Champagne Bay is the first alternative for skipping Wala, which we are both doing as well.

An announcement has not been made for our cruises yet. As you can tell by the date on the other thread, it would have been a bit early to decide. The hope is that the prob on Wala will settle down, and we will cruise as planned.
Check regularly on the cruise personaliser for any updates. I think it is unlikely we will do the same island twice.

Cheers
Geoff
Hi Geoff,

As I hadn't booked with a travel agent and booked directly with P&O, I phoned them to ask today.

They told me that unfortunately at this stage due to civil unrest, there will be no days at Wala. I asked if he thought the situation would change, but he said that he didnt think so and even if the situation in Wala was resolved, that they wouldn't resume visits to the island until they were certain that it was safe for us.

So at this stage, there are no visit to Wala.

He is unsure if we will spend an extra day at Sea, or visit an island that we're already seeing twice, or perhaps go to a new island (such as Pentecost).

I have been to Wala on a previous cruise, and it is a wonderful island.

But I'm glad that P&O are making sure everything is safe for us!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:07 AM
arxcards arxcards is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 5,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckiePuris View Post
Hi Geoff,

As I hadn't booked with a travel agent and booked directly with P&O, I phoned them to ask today.

They told me that unfortunately at this stage due to civil unrest, there will be no days at Wala. I asked if he thought the situation would change, but he said that he didnt think so and even if the situation in Wala was resolved, that they wouldn't resume visits to the island until they were certain that it was safe for us.

So at this stage, there are no visit to Wala.

He is unsure if we will spend an extra day at Sea, or visit an island that we're already seeing twice, or perhaps go to a new island (such as Pentecost).

I have been to Wala on a previous cruise, and it is a wonderful island.

But I'm glad that P&O are making sure everything is safe for us!
Thanks for the update.
I agree on not going to Wala because of safety, but sorry Carnival, if that decision has been made, why are we waiting for the itinerary change to be announced?

I have my fingers crossed for Pentecost, and it is not far from Wala, so the itinerary should be otherwise the same that way.

Cheers
Geoff
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Skyrules's Avatar
Skyrules Skyrules is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxcards View Post
Thanks for the update.
I agree on not going to Wala because of safety, but sorry Carnival, if that decision has been made, why are we waiting for the itinerary change to be announced?

I have my fingers crossed for Pentecost, and it is not far from Wala, so the itinerary should be otherwise the same that way.

Cheers
Geoff
Pentecost is lovely, but if it's outside of land-diving season there isn't much else there.
__________________

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)



__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:25 AM
begginer_cruiser's Avatar
begginer_cruiser begginer_cruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrules View Post
Pentecost is lovely, but if it's outside of land-diving season there isn't much else there.
When is land diving season? We will be at Pentecost in March and was hoping to see this.
__________________



Future Cruises
Voyage of the Glaciers with Glacier Bay (Northbound) + Cruise Tour
Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Anchorage, Denali, Mt McKinley

Past Cruises
Week Fantastique, Pacific Star, 18 November 2006
Noumea, Lifou & Vila

Secret Treasures, Pacific Dawn, 7 March 2008
Champagne Bay, Pentecost Island, Vila, Mystery Island & Isle of Pines

Tasmania, Dawn Princess, 1st February 2009
Port Arthur, Hobart, Burnie, Melbourne

New Zealand, Dawn Princess, 9th February 2009
Bay of Islands, Tauranga, Auckland, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Fjordland

Island Magic, Pacific Dawn, 27 December 2010
Isle of Pines, Mystery Island, Port Denarau, Suva, Vila
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Skyrules's Avatar
Skyrules Skyrules is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by begginer_cruiser View Post
When is land diving season? We will be at Pentecost in March and was hoping to see this.
If Pentecost is a scheduled port on your cruise - then you'll see it. The ships generally only call there during the land diving season. I think it's March to August. We cruised in the last week of March (2006) and ours was the first cruise of the year to call there.
__________________

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)



__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:40 AM
AuzzieCruiser's Avatar
AuzzieCruiser AuzzieCruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,209
Default

There is a season for land diving?? Could someone please enlighten me.
Is it to do with the hardness of the ground or something??
__________________
Happy Cruising Everyone.
Jarrod.

Up next:
Brilliance of the Seas ~ Scandanavia & Russia 19th August 2014

followed by:
Brilliance of the Seas Transatlantic cruise via Iceland 31st August 2014


Past Cruises:
Radiance of the Seas ~ South Pacific March 2012

Carnival Valor ~ Western Caribbean August 2011

Rhapsody of the Seas ~ Sydney to Honolulu April 2010

Rhapsody of the Seas ~ Perth to Sydney March 2009

Rhapsody of the Seas ~ Sydney to Perth February 2009

Pacific Sun ~ New Caledonia October 2007

Diamond Princess ~Mexican Riviera October 2006

Voyager of the Seas ~ Western Caribbean October 2005

Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska June 2004

Facebook Group - Australia & NZ Cruise Addicts and other friends from all over the world
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:46 AM
arxcards arxcards is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 5,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrules View Post
Pentecost is lovely, but if it's outside of land-diving season there isn't much else there.
OK, I have just uncrossed them. Would still like to know the replacement port soon - will talk to T\A on Monday.

Cheers
Geoff
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Skyrules's Avatar
Skyrules Skyrules is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuzzieCruiser View Post
There is a season for land diving?? Could someone please enlighten me.
Is it to do with the hardness of the ground or something??
It's partly cultural and partly practical. They start building their tower when the first yam crop is ready. And more importantly it is after the wet season that the liana vines that they use for their 'ropes' are at their most elastic, allowing them to stretch and recoil to soften the fall. Each boy or man who jumps (it's only males that do it) have their own vine.

The crack the liana's make when stretching and contracting is something to be heard!

When we were there we were told that it's bad luck to jump 'out of season' - and the only time that they have jumped out of season was on a visit by the Queen and Prince Phillip in the 70s, when they requested to see it - and on this occassion one of the jumpers died, which is suprisingly an unusual thing.
__________________

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)



__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Skyrules's Avatar
Skyrules Skyrules is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuzzieCruiser View Post
There is a season for land diving?? Could someone please enlighten me.
Is it to do with the hardness of the ground or something??

This might explain it better than I did;

http://www.vanuatutourism.com/vanuat...ost_maewo.html
__________________

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)



__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Skyrules's Avatar
Skyrules Skyrules is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxcards View Post
OK, I have just uncrossed them. Would still like to know the replacement port soon - will talk to T\A on Monday.

Cheers
Geoff

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing place, and if you've never been there ít's worth the visit, land diving or not, but certainly the land diving is the major highlight.
__________________

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)



__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM
arxcards arxcards is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 5,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrules View Post
Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing place, and if you've never been there ít's worth the visit, land diving or not, but certainly the land diving is the major highlight.
I understand where you are coming from Kym.

Plot thickens. I just checked our itinerary, and Wala is still there, but Mystery Island has been replaced with Lifou.

Cheers
Geoff
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM
LuckiePuris's Avatar
LuckiePuris LuckiePuris is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxcards View Post
OK, I have just uncrossed them. Would still like to know the replacement port soon - will talk to T\A on Monday.

Cheers
Geoff
Hi Geoff

I wonder why they've changed your Mystery Island to another island.

I have just checked my itinery on the P&O website, and no changes.

I have also checked my Cruise Personaliser, and there have been no changes.

If you speak to your travel agent, I'd love to hear what he/she has to say. I hope we get to go to another island!
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM
kaseyoz's Avatar
kaseyoz kaseyoz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 6,325
Default

i checked my personaliser and wala still appears. Ouvea , noumea and vila stay the same also
__________________
cheers karon





Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:39 AM
arxcards arxcards is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 5,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckiePuris View Post
Hi Geoff

I wonder why they've changed your Mystery Island to another island.

I have just checked my itinery on the P&O website, and no changes.

I have also checked my Cruise Personaliser, and there have been no changes.

If you speak to your travel agent, I'd love to hear what he/she has to say. I hope we get to go to another island!
OK I have definative information now, straight from the phone today.

Answer is:
What day is it today?

You rang about Wala - Answer - they said not going there!
A fellow CCer on our roll call (Ando) rang Princess today - Answer - No unrest - definately going.
My T\A rings Princess today - answer - Not decided - monitoring the situation in Wala.
Pick an answer that suits.

Seriously, check your personaliser regularly.

Our cruise swapped Mystery Island for Lifou - happened on 10th October. No reason is available at the moment.

Cheers
Geoff
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
LuckiePuris's Avatar
LuckiePuris LuckiePuris is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,866
Default

It seems everytime I phone I get a different answer.

I've checked my Cruise Personaliser...still says Wala.

I'll have to keep checking.

Will let you know with any updates
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.